Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quebec - Maiden Name Vs. Married Name

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quebec - Maiden Name Vs. Married Name
    Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:08pm
Hello all,

I reside in Quebec & just got married in the Philippines.  My wife still lives there.  Next month, we will be sending our application package for sponsorship & get the ball rolling on that front.  However, I'm getting conflicting information regarding last names.  Is anyone familiar enough with this peculiar Quebec law to be able to fill me in on the following, or correct my thoughts on the subject.

- To my knowledge, a woman who gets married in Quebec either has to keep her maiden name, or use a hyphenated one that contains her maiden name at the front.

- Can a woman who gets married outside of Quebec move here and legally use her married name instead of her maiden one?

- If we use her maiden name throughout the application process, will we have any problems legally changing it to her married name after she lands?

- If we take the extra time now to change everything to her married name before submitting our application, will she be able to legally use her married name after she lands, or will Quebec force her to go back to her maiden name?

Although I somewhat understand why Quebec has this absurd law, they should have recognized by now that no one else has followed suit, and proceeded to abolish it a long time ago. Thumbs Down

Thanks in advance for your replies.

4/30-CPC-M
6/3-Sponsor DM
6/9-Approval letter; QC Cert. app. sent
6/17-Start Manila
7/2-AOR with PP & AOM request
7/19-PP & AOM received
8/13-Approval QC Cert.
9/7-DM :))
9/16-Visa received!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic