Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to Language Requirements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to Language Requirements
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:50pm

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (“CIC”) has introduced new language requirements for citizenship applications and certain provincial nominee applications.  For citizenship applications, the changes will introduce objective language requirements for most applicantions.

On April 21, 2012, the Government of Canada introduced regulatory changes that when they take affect will require that citizenship applicants enclose proof that they meet the language requirement with their citizenship application.  Acceptable means of proof will include:

• A language test result from an authorized testing agency;
  • Evidence of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in English or French; or
  • Evidence of completion and achievement of a certain level in a government-funded language training program.

http://www.smeurrens.com/

Changes to Language Requirements 

posted on April 20, 2012

Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
Horizon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:25am

Saturday, April 21, 2012, Vol. 146, No. 16

Interesting article. . . I noted the following excerpt:

'It is anticipated that the number of citizenship applicants may initially decrease slightly. This would be in part because some permanent residents may postpone their citizenship applications until they improve their language skills, remaining permanent residents until that time.'

Will be interesting to see what impact this forecasted reduction in new citizenship applications will have on existing processing timelines.
Clayton View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:41am
How are about the applicants who applied before April 20, 2012?
kingmaker View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:08am
I dont think so that it would affect applicants who have already filed their citizenship applications....koz its says that the language requirement needs to be shown @ the time of filing the citizenship application....
"

4. Objectives

The proposed amendments to the Regulations would

• encourage applicants to meet the language requirement when they file their citizenship application, thereby strengthening the integration of new citizens and supporting their full participation in Canadian society;
  • clarify the language requirements by aligning them with CLB/ NCLC level 4 speaking and listening indicators. This clarity would benefit applicants, Department of Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) officials and citizenship judges; and
  • improve processing by enabling the return of applications, with a refunded fee, if no evidence is provided, thereby enabling CIC to focus on processing applications where satisfactory evidence of the required language level has been provided, resulting in fewer hearings to determine whether applicants meet the language requirements."
canon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:13pm
It's good that they will be accepting past test results - Quote " Applicants who provided mandatory language testing results as part of their permanence residence applications can submit those test results with their citizenship application, and will not be required to be re-tested.".  Me for example, I'm planning to apply shortly, and I have past test results from PR application as well as CLB test results way after landing!  I just hope that it'll work!
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:43pm
Is this language requirement already in power or it's just a proposal? If it's proposal when it comes into power?

I don't see any changes on CIC website in citizenship application guide.
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by canon canon wrote:

It's good that they will be accepting past test results - Quote " Applicants who provided mandatory language testing results as part of their permanence residence applications can submit those test results with their citizenship application, and will not be required to be re-tested.".  Me for example, I'm planning to apply shortly, and I have past test results from PR application as well as CLB test results way after landing!  I just hope that it'll work!

Majority had applied with IELTS I think, and I remember they could possibly send only one copy of results to a person. Subsequent copies could be sent only to requiring organizations directly. I'm also not sure if it's possible to request a copy after several years passed since exam.
SarahBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:55pm
Hi EasyRIder,
I think as you have mentioned this proposal is still not in effect; but I do not see how it will effect the applications which were made earlier.

I guess we have to wait & see....

Good luck,

Sarah
XZero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:32pm
During PR application, IELTS was done by principal applicant only, now with this new proposed rule, I think all applicants would need to provide the language Testing proof.
Application Sent: 02 Mar 2011, Received: 07 Mar 2011, In-Process: 18 Nov 2011, Transfer to Calgary: 02 Dec 2011, Test: 24 Feb 2012, Oath: 26 Mar 2012.
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:06pm
This is a positive development, how can you be a Canadian abroad representing Canada if you cannot communicate in any of its languages?

It's the same in Europe where they deny citizenship to those that cannot speak the language of the country they live in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic