Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common-law Application possibility?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jouriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common-law Application possibility?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:05pm
I am an international student in Ontario, Canada since the last 3 years. I met my girlfriend 2 years ago (early 2010) and we started living together in June 2011. This June we plan to renew our lease for another year. She works full-time and I have worked part-time for over two years in fast food and retail chains. We also started an online web development service together. 

We are thinking of applying for the Common-law sponsorship (she is a Canadian citizen) in July and putting together our documents. We have only taken two vacations together so far. 

I was wondering what the rejection rate is for common-law applications? Is there something we should know before we apply? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:19pm
If there is a significant difference in rejection rates, for common-law versus legally married sponsored-partner applicants, it is probably related to the underlying strength of the cases.

Indeed, if there is much of a difference, I wonder if a higher percentage of legally married applicants are rejected, than common-law, since people who submit direct evidence of cohabitating in an exclusive conjugal relationship for a full year (common-law) have, thereby, stronger evidence that the relationship is genuine: they actually live together and have lived together.

That said, it appears that some who apply under the common-law category tend to underestimate what it means to be in a common-law relationship . . . it requires a commitment and merging of life's affairs on a par with legal marriage, it is, as a matter of Canadian law, in effect a marriage-in-fact and thus has to be proven by facts showing it to be such.

But for a legitimate common-law couple, with documentary evidence showing they established a joint and mutual household which they shared for at least a full year, there should be little worry about having met the requirement for a genuine qualified relationship.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:24pm
I said that "common-law" is, as a matter of Canadian law, in effect a marriage-in-fact and thus has to be proven by facts showing it to be such.

I should have made it clear that this is as a matter of Canadian immigration law, not Canadian law generally. One of the reasons it can be confusing for some is that, indeed, what constitutes a common-law relationship varies in different jurisdictions and indeed varies in different contexts even within Canadian law. (In some provinces, for example, I understand that for purposes of domestic relations law, there is no minimum duration element, especially if children, for example, are involved.)

But, to be clear: Canadian immigration law has its own defnition and criteria for what is a common-law relationship qualifying for sponsored-partner PR and that is the definition that matters.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jouriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jouriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 5:50pm
dpenabill - Thank you so much for the information, especially the difference between Canadian Immigration law and provincial laws concerning common-law guidelines.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic