Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proof of relationship in China

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverAndADay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proof of relationship in China
    Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:46pm

Hey folks,

I am currently residing in China and I am close to handing the application for my wife and I. I went to get a few documents notarized.

The documents were:

1.       .An official letter from the school I worked for from June 1st, 2007 - December 23, 2008 signed by the schools director of foreign affairs with the official stamp. The letter states that my partner and I lived together there and the school paid for all living expences. 

2.       A letter from the current school I work at stating that me and my partner do live together and have so since April 6, 2009. Also states all living expenses are paid by the school for me and my partner as the contract states. It also states that I intend to leave in February when the contract expires.

3.       An official stamped letter statement from the police station (from the area of the 1st school I worked at) stating that me and my partner lived together from June 15th, 2007 - December 23, 2008.

4.        An official stamped letter from the police station (from the area of the school I am working at now ) stating that me annd my partner lived together from April 6, 2009 - to present date (signed date: november 27, 2009) and that living expences are covered by the school for both me and my partner

I wanted to have all these documents notarized. I am aware that it is not necessary but I am concerned as we lack in joint financial proof ( there are no joint bank accounts, credit accounts in China) .

The notary in China refused to notarize them for 2 reasons. The first reason was that Chinese law doesn’t “support” (as well as its frowned upon) couples living together before marriage (as we were married December 18th, 2009). The second reason is they said they believe immigration will “instantly” reject us when looking at these letters as they want to know about our marriage life not previous relationship, and this type of documentation is over doing it ( getting police to stamp letter etc) and it may look fake to them.

Now I know enough to know that we must do everything in our power to prove our relationship is genuine, not just our “marriage relationship” but how our entire relationship developed etc. I am also trying to take their thoughts with a grain of salt as I have had many run ins before with immigration “consultants” here before who didn’t even know what common-law was ( when we were thinking of applying as common-law before we got married) . The truth is we did live together as many couples do before marriage. But now I am not sure if these letters will hurt or help our case.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

ColorMePanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColorMePanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:00pm
I wouldn't worry about them being notarized. And while you don't have to include this for proof of common law, I can't see where it would hurt your case any to include those.

I believe it would help further show immigration that you were together for a good while before marriage and that marriage for you as a couple was a gradual choice and not based on immigration. It will also him them be confident in that you both know each other's living style etc. Plus it would also show that you are socially recongnized as a couple and show yourselves to the world as a couple even before marriage.

Of course my information isn't definite as I am not a legal authority or immigration officer but this is my opinion on the situation.
INLAND!
Total time for PR: 10 Months and 16 Days
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic