Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline - Montreal office

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 643644645646647 649>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p16514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by m_r_mtl m_r_mtl wrote:

I checked some topics and noticed that there are other cases that are told by CIC call center about judge hearing. I also have in my ATIP report from 4 months ago that said "hearing required" under Activities, Type=Testing, and  also under "Sub-activities" , Type=Record Test Results.
both these updates were generated by SADMIN!
given that I got RQed on test date, and the CIC agent told me that hearing required is issued following your test, I guess this a false alarm. At least I hope!
But I have to be prepared anyway.

Wait for the ATIP file before any conclusion. According to your timeline, it is hard to accept they have already assessed your post-test RQ and the conclusion is the requiered hearing with the judge. I hope your claimed 1095 days are accurate and provable cause you do not have any buffer day.

Edited by p16514 - 17 Jul 2014 at 4:45pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 5:24pm

. . . so I brought up the CJ hearing and she she said oh yes you are required to see a judge. But she refused to give me more detail like when this decision was made on my file.

I concur with much of what eileen and canuck25 posted.

This is worth emphasizing:
Originally posted by eileen eileen wrote:

. . . but, umm, to repeat, this is something that the CIC Call Centre is not always accurate about.
Quote There have been a number of anecdotal reports on the forums of applicants receiving Oath invitations short weeks or months after being told by Call Centre agents that they are in line for a hearing with a citizenship judge.

To what extent the call centre representatives are stating something which is not true (the usual sense in which we say something is not accurate), I do not know. At the least, though, as suggested by eileen, there have been quite a number of anecdotal reports of applicants being advised they "must" see a Citizenship Judge, or are "in queue for a judge hearing," or such, who nonetheless subsequently were scheduled to attend the oath without having to attend a hearing.

My belief is that this is rooted more in miscommunication than in overt misstatements of fact. I say this recognizing, however, that call centre representatives do sometimes state things which are outright not true, which are mostly things not accurately reflected in the file (like the date the Discover Canada booklet was mailed, which almost always off by months) or are among some stock generalizations. In any event, though, the call centre reps appear to often be understood to say that a hearing with a CJ is required even though eventually a hearing is not required.

Additionally, my sense is that for many applicants, depending on various factors and stage of application processing, the GCMS record will reflect (in one form or another) that a hearing with a Citizenship Judge is required as a more or less default status. Or, that call centre representatives have been instructed to state that a hearing with a CJ is required unless certain indicators as to status are in the file (or, possibly, the converse, so long as certain indicators are in the file, they are instructed to state that a hearing is required). The net result is the same: many applicants may be technically still on a hearing required path even though CIC has not yet actually made a decision as to whether a hearing will be, in fact, required.

I had 1095 days present, basic residence 1208 days and a total of 113 absence days. I came to Canada as a student, so yes I have days counted as non PR as well.

Preparation for CJ Hearing

I also concur in the observations made by canuck25 about preparing for a CJ hearing. In particular, I concur in the suggestion to at least consult with a lawyer if you confirm you are actually destined to attend a hearing.

Given how close you cut it to the minimum physical presence threshold, particularly given that is based in part on non-PR time presence in Canada, it appears you are indeed at risk for a Citizenship Judge hearing.

Many, perhaps most, perhaps nearly all go to the CJ hearing without the assistance of a lawyer. And, to be frank, for most the presence of a lawyer is not likely to make the difference. The facts in the file will make the biggest difference. A lawyer cannot alter the basic facts, and the basic facts are what are most controlling.

But for many applicants the facts may not be all that clear or certain. A lawyer can make a big difference in such a case.

For an example of a case where having a lawyer at the hearing was of no avail, see the recent Ayaz decision. The operative fact was that the applicant fell well short of the actual physical presence test threshold, 1095 days (in the residency calculation submitted with the application, and in response to RQ, the applicant claimed more than 1095 days actual presence, but gave the CJ an "updated" declaration acknowleging far less time physically in Canada), and the Citizenship Judge elected to apply the strict physical presence test despite the argument made to the CJ that Koo criteria and a centralized mode of existence test should be applied.

I do not cite that case to discourage you, or anyone, from obtaining the assistance of a licensed lawyer, but rather to illustrate there are limits to what a lawyer can do for an applicant. Changing the facts is not something the lawyer can do.

In contrast, however, a lawyer can help to correct or clarify or expand what facts are reflected in the record.

This warrants further explanation, beyond the scope of this particular topic. But, going back to having submitted an application based on the absolute minimum amount of time present (relative to the actual physical presence test), including credit for time in Canada prior to landing as a PR, it seems that a consultation with a lawyer, to go over your application and submission in response to RQ, would be the prudent thing to do at this stage.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 5:49pm

I had 1095 days present, basic residence 1208 days and a total of 113 absence days. I came to Canada as a student, so yes I have days counted as non PR as well.
 don't  worry that much, I don't think you have to hire a lawyer unless you have obvious problems in your case,  first you have to receive an invitation for JH, if it happens then you have convince a judge that you have ties in Canada and that you don't have any back home, and that you do not have intention to use the system and leave the country once you got your passport.

here is where you can read just a small post about JH experience
https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2578&PN=84&title=timeline-toronto-stclair-oper-ont-office

Edited by greeny - 17 Jul 2014 at 9:40pm
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014
m_r_mtl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_r_mtl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm
Thanks dpenabill for your comments and advice. I am still positive that what CIC told me is based on "hearing required" as I saw in ATIP. Otherwise I don't see any reason.
I was present for 1095 days, claimed it right with no doubt. Always been full time student in Canada, still am, with other ties in Canada  for which I have provided proofs in my RQ. So it is really unlikely for me to be asked for a CJ. I think I'd better contact my MP an ask for their help.

Edited by m_r_mtl - 17 Jul 2014 at 11:23pm
m_r_mtl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_r_mtl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:03pm
Thanks greeny, I also believe that I don't have any problem in my file. Although I have traveled many times, to visit family or related to scientific conferences, I provided all the documents they asked for. I guess they can not question me why I travel, when I have so many ties in Canada. 
Malcolm26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:09am
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I find it very interesting
Here are my stats:

File sent: July 9th, 2013
Process started: Sep 17th 2013.
Test:.....
Oath: ....

I called CIC 2 days to change my phone number and he told me that my file had been transfered to the CIC office in Montreal. Does it mean anything? Test is soon?

Thanks and good luck to you all!Wink
Process: September 17th, 2013
Oath: ...
abdellah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdellah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:17pm
Hi!

My file was transfered to Montreal local office 18 March 2014, then they sent me the invite for the test 30 April 2014 (test took place May 26th)

Hope this helps
Malcolm26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:23pm
Hello Abdellah,

Thanks for your reply. When did you send your file and when the process started?

I might sound a bit off the cuff, but I am new to this site and browsing the stats available here is very confusing. 

Thanks again and have a great day
abdellah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdellah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Malcolm26 Malcolm26 wrote:

Hello Abdellah,

Thanks for your reply. When did you send your file and when the process started?

I might sound a bit off the cuff, but I am new to this site and browsing the stats available here is very confusing. 

Thanks again and have a great day

Application received 28 March 2013

Processing started  28  May 2013
Malcolm26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:24pm
Thanks Abdallah,

You actually have almost the same dates as a friend of mine. I even think you took the test on the same day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 643644645646647 649>
  Share Topic