Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline - Montreal office

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 577578579580581 649>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 3:59pm
Quote I don't understand how certain things work at CIC.

It is well known that processing times for individuals vary considerably. By the time a file is being given the level one screening at Sydney, there are already factors affecting how soon that is actually done and what happens next. The what-ifs multiply beyond that.

All that can be discerned from what other individual applicants experience, in terms of the timeline, is largely how soon something might happen versus how long it could possibly take, with a huge, huge range in-between. Sure, there are some patterns, such as between applicants to be processed in one local office compared to other local offices, but beyond that initial lag between when the application arrives in Sydney and is eventually opened and given an "in process" status (which flucuates but is largely consistent for applications received on the same date), the length of time it takes to the next step begins to vary significantly.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Fabrice35 Fabrice35 wrote:

I don't understand how certain things work at CIC. example :

pierrerion sent his filet to sydney 1 month before EasyRider. The application of EasyRider was transferred to Montreal the 13th month (1 month before pierrerion case. The pierrerion's file was transferred the 14th month).

But pierrerion took his citizenship test 1 month (or 1 and half month) after transfer to Montreal office. At the same time, EasyRider is not invited for the citizenship test even after 2 months of waiting (file transferred the 13th month and nothing until the 15th month).

In other forums, I saw that files have been transferred  to local offices for applicants of november and december 2012 (even for the applicants of january and march 2013). But in my case, my application still in sydney. It's just weird.....

What going on at the Sidney? Why the applications sent after mine are now at the local office (when my file is always at sidney)? Why EasyRider still waiting for the test 2 months after the transfer (when pierrerion had his test 1 and half months after transfer)?

It's so confused in my head...... The processing speed of each CIC officer cannot explain alone these differences ... The complexity of the case either. So what's the reason?

His file still was transferred earlier than mine, in absolute terms. 1st thing at work here that CIC does transfers, checks and some other actions in batches, i.e. if your case misses a batch, it'll have to wait for another group to form for further action to take place. Real life example if when you're late 1 minute for a train and have to wait for another for 15 minutes to arrive. The other thing is when background checks kick in place, the difference between processing times can become even wider, because it's interacting with 3rd party agencies, and some checks, I'm sure, don't have fixed timelines. Length of CSIS check can vary widely, for instance, depending on candidate profile. Seems Sydney responsible for some basic checks to be performed before transfer, then more advanced checks need to be finalized (at this point file may be at a local office) before scheduling for a test.
Spincha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spincha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 11:35am
After 23 months,my file is still in sydney!!I called CIC and the answer was: we can't move befor 25 montrhs delay!!
It's too longggggg
farrous13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farrous13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:57am
Hello Guys, I posted this on canadavisa.com forums. Thought I might as well post it here:

Guys,
Yesterday my sister received the letter to appear for the test on the 25th of Nov. She sent her application in Dec 2012 and the CIC started processing her application in Feb 2013. She checked her ECAS status and the test was there.

That's amazingly fast from Montreal's office!

Two things that makes me wonder:

1- The letter was sent on Nov 6th and she received it on Nov the 8th. 2 days! and the ecas gets updated super fast. Other applicant's ecas don't get updated that fast.

2- Our friend who applied about 3 to 4 months before she did didn't get anything yet. Natha!

Anyways I am super happy for her and we are hoping for the best. I will keep you posted on what happens after the test.

Does this even make sense? Applicants who applied in June 2012 are getting their test in November 2013. A bit weird. But happy

Edited by farrous13 - 12 Nov 2013 at 11:59am
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by farrous13 farrous13 wrote:

Does this even make sense? Applicants who applied in June 2012 are getting their test in November 2013. A bit weird. But happy

Thanks for update. There are multiple indications Montreal is speeding up at least for some people, e.g. reports of pre-test RQ's received in 8-9 months since application date (in "Montreal 2012 Applicants" thread on that forum), which wasn't possible before. Now test in less than a year.

Probably something is changing in structure of processing, but, as usual, likely older applicants won't benefit from it much.
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Spincha Spincha wrote:

After 23 months,my file is still in sydney!!I called CIC and the answer was: we can't move befor 25 montrhs delay!!
It's too longggggg

In 25 months case is supposed to be over, not just transferred from Sydney. There's no way your case will be finalized in 25 months, so action should be taken immediately. Call centre agents regurgitate what they are instructed to say without applying common sense.

Do you have any idea what's in your case background may be prompting for an increased scrutiny and longer investigations in Sydney? Maybe it's worth to consult a lawyer about what can be done to find out what's going on, if other venues like ATIP will fail.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 4:27pm

Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Probably something is changing in structure of processing, but, as usual, likely older applicants won't benefit from it much.

My sense as well.

Gut reaction is that this is unfair to those who applied earlier. But since we do not really know what is going on under-the-hood at CIC, it is impossible to discern how unfair this is, to what extent measures might be available to mitigate the harsh impact on earlier applicants.

If, though, this represents real progress, not just superficial measures to improve the optics, that would be good news for many, especially going forward.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
farrous13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farrous13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 5:01pm
Not sure if it's a new procedure really.

I believe it's unfair as well. Our friend applied 3 to 4 months before my sister did and yet she gets the exam in Nov. In just 11 months!!! I am very happy for her, but it made me think about how unfair certain situations might appear to some applicants. My friend just knew today and he rushed to check his ecas status and nothing. He was startled!

My analogy is this: there are certain steps to get the exam date and multiple agents working on our applications. If one agent delays a background check, for example, then the application is going to fall between the cracks. If the other agent is more efficient then it's more likely that the exam date will be closer than reality.

I believe my sister's application fell in the right hands of agents.

My only worry is that when she does her test, and I have no doubt she will pass, the CIC agent might recognize that her application is ahead of others and might want to apply fairness to everyone and give her an RQ. God forbid, knock on wood.

If no RQ is issued, she might break the record for the processing time in Montreal in the past three years.

We'll see how it goes. Her application process is giving me hope
Fabrice35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabrice35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by farrous13 farrous13 wrote:

Not sure if it's a new procedure really.

I believe it's unfair as well. Our friend applied 3 to 4 months before my sister did and yet she gets the exam in Nov. In just 11 months!!! I am very happy for her, but it made me think about how unfair certain situations might appear to some applicants. My friend just knew today and he rushed to check his ecas status and nothing. He was startled!

My analogy is this: there are certain steps to get the exam date and multiple agents working on our applications. If one agent delays a background check, for example, then the application is going to fall between the cracks. If the other agent is more efficient then it's more likely that the exam date will be closer than reality.

I believe my sister's application fell in the right hands of agents.

My only worry is that when she does her test, and I have no doubt she will pass, the CIC agent might recognize that her application is ahead of others and might want to apply fairness to everyone and give her an RQ. God forbid, knock on wood.

If no RQ is issued, she might break the record for the processing time in Montreal in the past three years.

We'll see how it goes. Her application process is giving me hope

I think it's a little late to break the record for the processing time in Montreal. In fact, we have seen a case of Montreal who obtained citizenship in 8 months this year (2013).
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Fabrice35 Fabrice35 wrote:

I think it's a little late to break the record for the processing time in Montreal. In fact, we have seen a case of Montreal who obtained citizenship in 8 months this year (2013).

It was most likely a fake timeline, posted by someone during the same period when somebody was using several accounts from one IP address to troll this forum. I'm highly skeptical anyone could possibly be processed in 8 months from application to oath in Montreal office at that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 577578579580581 649>
  Share Topic