Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline - Montreal office

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 649>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 7:07pm
Hello Ab007
Well, well, well... I think I fully understand your question. And the answer is no. I'm 100% sure that you don't have to show a valid passport to the immigration officer ( BTW the interview is held right away after the written test... which is less than 10 mn if prepared). The test letter asks you to bring all the passports you possess. So if your passport is already expired on test day, and you did not renew it that's fine. Remember, most American and Canadian citizens do not possess a passport. So, if you do not plan to travel during winter season, then no rush to renew your passport. Now, if you plan to renew it, and the only reasonable cause should be a planned trip or an ailing relative, whose condition might worsen at anytime (and you feel compelled to pay him a visit), then just make a photocopy of your passport, before giving it back. I'm sure your country's consulate clerks would be glad to stamp the photocopy to make it more official. At renewal, some countries consider the old passport as their property, while others just punch the old one or stamp it to make it invalid thus returning it to the bearer. The judges are aware of all of this, and I don't recommend to lie in order to keep the old passport, as they might guess that you lied to your consulate (which is a felony, not to mention the extra paper work to justify the circumstances that led you to lose your passport at renewal). I don't think a more aware citizenship judge would want to punish such behavior, but a suspicion of lying to his original country officials, does not push a judge to be confident that he is naturalizing a model citizen. I don't want to seem moralizing, but that's the way I see it.

I hope this answer will be helpful
Take care  

Originally posted by ab007 ab007 wrote:

Hi mrstaycation,

That was nice information. I have a question:

My passport is expiring in february 2010 and I dont know whether I will get my test before that. Is it advisable to renew the passport before the test (if the test is after february) or its not required?

Thanks.

janjoun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janjoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 1:14am
Hello everyone,

I became Canadian Citizen on the 2nd of December. It was a nice ceremony with a nice speech from the judge.
I applied on Oct 9th 08, did my test on Oct 5th 09. Most october test takes should receive their oath this month while November test takers will have to wait till January most probably.

Good luck everyone still waiting.
mod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 1:17am
Canadian Immigration is the first name of "Waiting n Waitings"

When you apply you have to wait for 7 years to get first response for updation documents then 5 months for provisional approval then 6 motnhs for Medicals then 6 - 8 months for visa. Now, after arrival and after spending 3 years immigrant have to wait for passport/citizenship for 1-2 years.

When one apply in young age in 30 years and get passport in 40 years with tears. 
janjoun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janjoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 1:18am
And ab007, no it is not necessary to renew the passport before your test, however make sure that you bring the expired passport with you to the test and interview.
However if the passport was cancelled and not just expired, then you should have the new passport as well.
ab007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ab007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:12am
Hi mrstaycation,

Thanks for the information....its really helpful and that relieves my confusion...

ab007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ab007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:13am
Hi Janjoun

Thanks for the information....its really helpful and that relieves my confusion...
goblinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goblinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:34am
Janjoun, your thoughtful input is always appreciated and of course congratulations!

My time line so far: Applied  (Montreal) June 25 2009
ab007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ab007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 1:02pm
Hi All,

Does anyone knows the address and telephone number of the Montreal CIC office to inquire the status of the application.

gopuge2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gopuge2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 4:30pm
Local offices actually don't accept applicants to call them, that's why you may won't be able to find their telephone number. The only number to call is CIC number 1 888 242-2100.
mrstaycation View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstaycation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:16pm
Hi everyone
Congratulations Janjoun, way to go, you're done! I hope you'll be back once in a while, with your thoughtful inputs, though I understand you looking forward, as the citizenship process is in your rear-view mirror. I wish a happy ending to all of us! Sooner or later, for me I already know that the test result is OK, by calling CIC, probably I'll get oath ceremony end of January or February, since the process will be backlogged by the end of year holidays.
You're welcome Ab007, gopuge2006 got it right, you should call CIC call Center  888 242‑2100. You might find this CIC web page helpful: Canadian citizenship. Just for your information, Montreal's CIC office is located at: 1025 rue saint-jacques ouest, H3C 1B2, tel: 514-283-5971 and I don't recommend calling them.

Originally posted by ab007 ab007 wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone knows the address and telephone number of the Montreal CIC office to inquire the status of the application.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 649>
  Share Topic