Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lost CONFIRMATION record of landing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unloadmymind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm
lol sorry dep i was meant to say 'in Country X you only need to show your passport for all these things and your visa/residence status can be verified electronically by the airlines, medicare, bank, border control, immigration & citizenship, police, schools, employers etc without having to see a PR card or a visa sticker; privacy safeguards are in place'. ;)

anyway, i shall leave it as is lest i be suspected of making up sci fi stories :eek:

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:11pm
There are, most likely indeed, some countries which maintain comprehensive databases on individuals and allow across-the-board access to many others. Even in Canada, like the U.S., the access to basic name-record arrest-conviction criminal records is extensive, but no, generally personal information is fairly well (not perfectly) protected in Canada, even from other government entities (let alone private companies like airlines).

This is not to say, however, that information collected or maintained by one government agency is not ever accessible. There are complex rules and regulations and laws governing who has access to what information and protocols for obtaining information about particular individuals from another government body. In particular, for example, if there is just reason to initiate an investigation, a referral from one agency or department can be sent to another one seeking certain kinds of information regarding certain individuals. But, as a general matter, Canada has fairly strict protocols limiting the extent to which our personal information can be accessed by even government personnel.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
unloadmymind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unloadmymind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

But, as a general matter, Canada has fairly strict protocols limiting the extent to which our personal information can be accessed by even government personnel.

same thing applies to 'Country X'. there are serious privacy rules and criminal liability attached. and there are strict safeguards in place. e.g. the only thing the airline can see electronically is whether the said person can board the aircraft. nothing more. the person cannot board the aircraft if computer says 'No'.

things like these, electronic integration with strict privacy safeguards, require some level of government electronic sophistication. oh well i was embarrassed to see that my recently renewed canadian passeport is non-electronic. for f---s sake it's 2013! :eek:

broket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by unloadmymind unloadmymind wrote:

But, as a general matter, Canada has fairly strict protocols limiting the extent to which our personal information can be accessed by even government personnel.

same thing applies to 'Country X'. there are serious privacy rules and criminal liability attached. and there are strict safeguards in place. e.g. the only thing the airline can see electronically is whether the said person can board the aircraft. nothing more. the person cannot board the aircraft if computer says 'No'.

things like these, electronic integration with strict privacy safeguards, require some level of government electronic sophistication. oh well i was embarrassed to see that my recently renewed canadian passeport is non-electronic. for f---s sake it's 2013! :eek:

I cannot agree more with unloadmymind.

Even with the electronic transfer of personal information to different divisions of the government and to some private sectors, there can be a limitation as to what pieces of information can be disseminated or what not. What Canada is doing now is not “fairly well” protected privacy as dpenabill refers to, but rather (I personally would put it this way), an effective means to use resources which only delays processing and places more burden on individuals, instead of facilitating things.

More than a decade has passed since the new millennium, but it is amazing how Canada remains impervious to so many technological developments that came into being.

broket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by broket broket wrote:

Originally posted by unloadmymind unloadmymind wrote:

I cannot agree more with unloadmymind.

Even with the electronic transfer of personal information to different divisions of the government and to some private sectors, there can be a limitation as to what pieces of information can be disseminated or what not. What Canada is doing now is not “fairly well” protected privacy as dpenabill refers to, but rather (I personally would put it this way), an effective means to use resources which only delays processing and places more burden on individuals, instead of facilitating things.

More than a decade has passed since the new millennium, but it is amazing how Canada remains impervious to so many technological developments that came into being.

opps typo there... "INEFFECTIVE MEANS TO USE RESOURCES"
unloadmymind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unloadmymind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:58am
Originally posted by broket broket wrote:

"Country X" started using electronic passports in 2005. even some 'third world' countries issue electronic passports. 

the odd man out:

Edited by unloadmymind - 06 Mar 2013 at 8:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic