Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lost CONFIRMATION record of landing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rezah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lost CONFIRMATION record of landing
    Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 4:21am
Hi All,

I will have my citizenship test next week, and for some reason I canot ind my CONFIRMATION record of landing. In the letter they have sent me for the citizenship exam date, it is menioned  ms bring this document to test (or the confirmation of permanent residen document which I dont have). I would be grateful if you let me know what should I do?

thanks
BlackRacon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackRacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 11:55am
Hi Rezah,
You need to report this to police and get a report from them. If you have a copy of the landing document, just take this copy with you at test and show them that you reported that you lost the original one for police. Goood Luck! 
Racon
enggio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 12:48pm
Well.... I do not think reporting to the police is the way to do it. I think you have to order a certified true copy. If you have a copy, you might be fine for the test, if you do not, I advise calling the immigration office and ask them what to do...
Enggio

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackRacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:04pm
Hi All,

Under all circumstances, you need to report to police. This is the only way to prove that you lost the original document. Ordering a true certified copy is a great idea but it will take 4 - 6 months to receive. For more information, please read the last posts of imransaeed on this forum (RQ discussions). Good Luck!
Racon
Kazakhstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazakhstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:26pm
To apply for a certified copy: 

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

I did it once, cost $30 and was done in a month or two

When I went to the citizenship test, they didn't look at my COPR, they were mostly interested in my passport. I also showed them my PR card and DL
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:46pm

Many people lose their record of landing or CoPR. Not a good idea. It is an important document to be carefully stored.

I know of NO reason to report the loss of this to police. It is not an identity document. It is not a status document.

Kazakhstan has it right . . . although I do not know whether or not a person scheduled for the oath will be required to present original landing document or not at any given ceremony in this or that local office.

Best to obtain a certified copy of it sooner rather than later, even if not required for the oath . . . it is a document one should have and keep with other most-important documents.

By the way, though, generally this Minister seems to have been escalating the screening of prospective citizens including all the way to the taking of the oath in some situations.

A recent return from a location abroad, for example, may be sufficient to trigger a delay and further examination for some (see recent report in another topic here, for example, of a person who was stopped from taking the oath after POE officers notified CIC that it appeared the individual was just coming to Canada for the purpose of taking the oath but was generally residing abroad).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
wakenya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakenya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 4:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackRacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:39am
Hi All,
First I would like to thank wakenya. Second, I do not write anything if I am not sure 100% because I do not like to confuse people. I am here to help people and not to giving them hard time and confusing them. I brougfht with me this morining the document that the CIC Officer handed it after the citizenship test to everyone who wrote this test. This document is (So what happens now). From the different included information, it states CLEARLY that "You MUST bring your Immigration Record of Landing and if you have received a Permanent Resident Card you MUST bring that as well. If you have lost either Record of Landing and/or your Permanent Resident Card, you MUST bring proof that you have reported the loss to the police". Finally, things are changinging quickly as welll as knowledge and rules. Thank you and Good Luck to everyone!
Racon
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:45pm

Not really.

Generally for a lost CoPR or Record of Landing, no police report needs to be made.

A PR card, yes, like other primary documents of identity or status, such as passport, drivers license, or such, if there is reason to believe it has been stolen a police report should be made.

Cannot find your original the record of landing or CoPR? No, no need to make a police report of that.

My sources:

The application (pdf app linked here) for a certified copy of this document does request the applicant to state whether the document was lost, or stolen, or destroyed, or other, and to provide details regarding this and if applicable include a police report number. Obviously this would be applicable if one has reason to believe the document was stolen . . . not for lost documents (and the form is for a range of documents including particular status documents like work permits, study permits, and refugee permits, which are not on a par with identity documents but are documents which can be used illegally).

Other relevant information found at CIC website:
In most references to the record of landing or CoPR, it simply says for those who do not have this document, they should "explain why."

See, for example: application checklist (this is link to pdf form; checklist at end)

See instructions for gathering documents in the guide for applying for citizenship. (this is link)

For similar information, see the guide for applying for a new PR card including lost or stolen PR cards (this is link to guide).

The application for a new PR card is particularly informative in this regard: if the PR is applying to replace a lost, stolen, destroyed or never received PR card, a solemn declaration must be filled out which includes a description of the applicant's effort made to locate the document (the PR card) and:
Quote if applicable, indicate police authorities notified and attach a copy of police report or incident report number
(see page 4 of the PR card application)

Any sources to the contrary? Please provide links or url.

As for the details in a communication from CIC: as always, the individual that received that letter should indeed follow the instructions in it. That would override what the general information is on the CIC website. But, I'd bet the instructions relative to original documents to be brought to the test/interview, read in context, do not require a person who cannot find their original record of landing or CoPR to have made a police report.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackRacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 1:21pm
Hi dpenabill,
I can send you a pdf copy of (So what happens now?) English & French. Please let me know how can I attach it here? Thank you,

Racon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic