Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why so rush?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immigrant11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by TheMan TheMan wrote:

About # 4) Last minutes cruise deals? I mean if you have a job, have kids, have a spouse, you can just buy DISCOUNTED tickets last minutes for a 4-7 day cruise and leave the next day? I mean do you not plan for something like that? Like a month before. We went to Bahamas and we did not need a visa. 

ANSWER: It varies from person to person.  Some people do not plan.  Only Ostridge hide their head in the sand.  Look around yourself and you will find variety of people.  If you still do not agree fine but it does exist.  Let logic prevail.  I think you are adamant of keeping your point of view instead of seeing others

Again, if you want to get involved in an intelligent discussion then I am all up for it but give me something to work with. You are saying that some people dont plan for 4-7 day cruise. Instead of just making that statement, I would like to find out how can you manage to do it. 

Last minutes deals are 'last min deals', dont you have to get time off work, wait for the break from school for kids? Your spouse (if working) also needs to take time off work. Is this not planing? Ok, maybe a hand full of people dont plan but majority of the people do. Are you saying that people dont leave the country for 4-5 years for any vacation until they get their Citizenship, regardless of the perfect timing?

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:  YES---THEY ARE BOTH SCHOOL TEACHERS WITH NO KIDS AND NORMALLY ENJOY LAST MINUTE HOP ON DEALS (summer holidays winter break etc etc if you can imagine it yourself).  whatever the argument-the reason stays valid

About # 5) how often do you have to go through the process of renewing the passport of your home country, once every 5 years? Come on now :)

Logically irrelevant question.  I met people who think it is a hassle and thus put it as a reason and believe it could be.  Never done it myself however but am counting others opinion.

How is this an irrelevant question? I am also annoyed by the consulate services offered by the country where I was born but that does not mean that I let my passport expire and dont go on vacation on a visa if I have a perfect opportunity to do so. Thats what you are saying here that people dont want to deal with their 'home country' consulate which is why they want to get the Citizenship asap.

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:Never said what you think:  They just do not want to go through the hassle.  Some do not even have a consulate here-I met one couple at least who mentioned and I was shocked.  So hope you are good with that.

BTW, I call Canada my home, all other countries are foreign countries to me. You cant wait to get Canadian Citizenship but still dont call this your home country. Thats contradicting to me.

ANSWER: I never said I don't call Canada as my home country--let logic prevail.

I never said that you did.

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:So we are done with that even though you said it indirectly-it is up there for others to see. remove this one from discussion as well since we you never said and I have no reason to respond.  Thanks 1 for 1

You are right, running a business is not for everyone. I came here under 'Skilled Worker Category' and I also wanted an ideal job, dress clothes, a desk job, working 9-5. But I started to look around and started paying attention to the word 'SKILLED' and I got the message. I started working on improving my skills got certified and I am very happy to work in the field and be my own boss. My total investment was $10K and I was good to go. 

ANSWER: "GOOD FOR YOU"  but as I said if we all do business who would work and do the other things?  Who would have even brought you to this country.  Civil servants processed your case, airline pilots flew you here.  and in the end it is not the point but a reason for some so accept this as a reason for some and don't side track the discussion.

I agree with you here. I dont want everyone to be a business owner. I dont like competitors. Plus, you can still work 9-5 and can still be a business owner. Ask me how and I will tell you. 

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:  Not interested in any business myself but will help others if you like post it in a separate post for others new immigrants as a useful opinion.  For me it is enough that you agree and removes this one from discussion. Thanks 2 for 2

My opinion, instead of spending my time on tracking my Citizenship application online, posting on forum, calling CIC call centers, I would rather spend that time on my business. It will happen when it happen and I am not worried about it because this is my home and I am not going anywhere. They can take all the time in the world.

ANSWER: Why are you spending time here on this forum then.  GET BACK TO WORK?  I am saying this to answer your questions above.  Curiosity-human nature

I am here because I feel that its important to respond. Plus, my business is my first priority, I will never spend a sec on this forum unless I am all caught up with my inspection bookings and reporting for the day. I need time off too Big smile

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:
Exactly you just answered it what I wanted. thanks this is 3 for 3

Voting? I will vote when I become a citizen, no hurries, the world is not coming to an end. Relax.

ANSWER: SURE_this is true for everyone but for some it is a milestone and are more curious-simple and it still remain a valid reason no matter what you think.

Valid reason = Yes

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:THANKS-this is 4 for 4

Originally posted by immigrant11 immigrant11 wrote:

[QUOTE=TheMan] I appreciate your response.

In your second group below, items 1 & 2 also belong to the first group (leaving the country after getting the passport).

ANSWER: The above Purely your opinion:

About # 4) Last minutes cruise deals? I mean if you have a job, have kids, have a spouse, you can just buy DISCOUNTED tickets last minutes for a 4-7 day cruise and leave the next day? I mean do you not plan for something like that? Like a month before. We went to Bahamas and we did not need a visa.

ANSWER: It varies from person to person.  Some people do not plan.  Only Ostridge hide their head in the sand.  Look around yourself and you will find variety of people.  If you still do not agree fine but it does exist.  Let logic prevail.  I think you are adamant of keeping your point of view instead of seeing others

About # 5) how often do you have to go through the process of renewing the passport of your home country, once every 5 years? Come on now :)

Logically irrelevant question.  I met people who think it is a hassle and thus put it as a reason and believe it could be.  Never done it myself however but am counting others opinion.

BTW, I call Canada my home, all other countries are foreign countries to me. You cant wait to get Canadian Citizenship but still dont call this your home country. Thats contradicting to me.

ANSWER: I never said I don't call Canada as my home country--let logic prevail.

You are right, running a business is not for everyone. I came here under 'Skilled Worker Category' and I also wanted an ideal job, dress clothes, a desk job, working 9-5. But I started to look around and started paying attention to the word 'SKILLED' and I got the message. I started working on improving my skills got certified and I am very happy to work in the field and be my own boss. My total investment was $10K and I was good to go.

ANSWER: "GOOD FOR YOU"  but as I said if we all do business who would work and do the other things?  Who would have even brought you to this country.  Civil servants processed your case, airline pilots flew you here.  and in the end it is not the point but a reason for some so accept this as a reason for some and don't side track the discussion.

My opinion, instead of spending my time on tracking my Citizenship application online, posting on forum, calling CIC call centers, I would rather spend that time on my business. It will happen when it happen and I am not worried about it because this is my home and I am not going anywhere. They can take all the time in the world.

ANSWER: Why are you spending time here on this forum then.  GET BACK TO WORK?  I am saying this to answer your questions above.  Curiosity-human nature

Voting? I will vote when I become a citizen, no hurries, the world is not coming to an end. Relax.

ANSWER: SURE_this is true for everyone but for some it is a milestone and are more curious-simple and it still remain a valid reason no matter what you think.

missie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 11:05pm
theman: try travelling on a pakistani passport. when making a road trip to the u.s., for example, we had to wait 3.5 hours once, and 3 hours another time, at the u.s. border immigration. For me, its one of the biggest reason for my 'impatience'. i have close family in the u.s. I rarely visit them because air travel is expensive, i cant take advantage of last minute deals coz of kids schooling etc., and road travel is such a hassle with us. Cant wait for the passport so i can easily road trip to the u.s. In air travel too, we are subjected to extra scrutiny, and there have been stories of harassment, people missing their flights etc. 
SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 11:25pm
Once again Missie gave one example....and i can assure you there are others who will have various personal reasons for why they want to get over with the process as soon as possible...but again understanding all this requires empathy and appreciation that there can be a view beyond what ones blindly thinks is right....

One basic observation......all of us who are in this forum are here in Canada because we left our country of origin for one reason or the other to settle here......and if one is eager to move beyond the past as settle into the future fast and in earnest i don't understand what is wrong with it....( and pls dont say you have PR and that should be enough..if that is the case...pls dont apply for citizenship....)

And the whole premise that has been floated around by few (very few) on this forum that anyone who wants the process to move faster or more efficiently has ulterior motives , like leaving country after getting passport.....or what ever is preposterous(yes it happens , but no need to generalize and paint everyone in same color).... and if one says that is not the case ...then there is no reason for anyone not to expect a process that takes maximum 4-6 months in any other OECD country to be faster ....actually way faster and transparent....

One can justify all he/she wants ...i intend to and hopefully will be citizen of this country soon  and being a immigrant myself have views about plight of similar folks like me...and i believe things should be made faster .....again government may decide to change law and stop immigration all together.....but as long as they have a policy in place......it should be fast and efficient ...

Edited by SK - 28 Mar 2012 at 11:30pm
TheMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 8:34am
Again, if you want to get involved in an intelligent discussion then I am all up for it but give me something to work with. You are saying that some people dont plan for 4-7 day cruise. Instead of just making that statement, I would like to find out how can you manage to do it. 

Last minutes deals are 'last min deals', dont you have to get time off work, wait for the break from school for kids? Your spouse (if working) also needs to take time off work. Is this not planing? Ok, maybe a hand full of people dont plan but majority of the people do. Are you saying that people dont leave the country for 4-5 years for any vacation until they get their Citizenship, regardless of the perfect timing?

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:  YES---THEY ARE BOTH SCHOOL TEACHERS WITH NO KIDS AND NORMALLY ENJOY LAST MINUTE HOP ON DEALS (summer holidays winter break etc etc if you can imagine it yourself).  whatever the argument-the reason stays valid

OK great. How many people on this people fall in the category of being school teachers who can take advantage of last minute deals, pack their bags and leave the next day? Also, we are talking about majority of the people here NOT you or a couple you know, think broad. In addition to that, you are using an example of school teachers and going on last min deals in summer and breaks. Well, you just contracdicted yourself because in your example that couple who happend to be coincidently school teachers Big smile must have also "talked" about looking out for any last minute deals during summer or winter breaks etc. THAT IS CALLED PLANING which is what I was referring to. Short notice or long notice everyone plans. 
Are you saying that the couple in your example did not leave the country for 4-5 years until they get their Citizenship and spend 4-5 summers, winter breaks etc in Canada because they did not want to apply for the visa of the country they wanted to visit? 

The point of the matter is, and read this like 5 times before replying. Normal people WHO LIKE TRAVELING do not stay in Canada for 4-5 years (waiting for their Citizenship) just because they do not want to go through the 'hassle' of getting the visa to travel. They plan and get the visa,wait for summer to get the last minute deals as you suggested.

How is this an irrelevant question? I am also annoyed by the consulate services offered by the country where I was born but that does not mean that I let my passport expire and dont go on vacation on a visa if I have a perfect opportunity to do so. Thats what you are saying here that people dont want to deal with their 'home country' consulate which is why they want to get the Citizenship asap. 

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:Never said what you think:  They just do not want to go through the hassle.  Some do not even have a consulate here-I met one couple at least who mentioned and I was shocked.  So hope you are good with that.

Again, we are talking about majority of the people here. Majority of the people on this forum are not frustrated about consulate services of their countries and want Citizenship to avoid this. 

I agree with you here. I dont want everyone to be a business owner. I dont like competitors. Plus, you can still work 9-5 and can still be a business owner. Ask me how and I will tell you. 

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:  Not interested in any business myself but will help others if you like post it in a separate post for others new immigrants as a useful opinion.  For me it is enough that you agree and removes this one from discussion. Thanks 2 for 2

Again, you are not interested in any business which is what I want because I dont want everyone to be a business owner. I want most people to work jobs, helps me. Also, you cant tell people what to do. 

TheMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 8:39am
I know a lot of people who travel on Pakistani passport to the US with no problems. I personally had no problems at the border and I am not sure if you read my earlier posts but I have link there to get the redress control #, you can put that # on your online booking (if you are flying to the US) and they will  never ask you anything. 

Originally posted by missie missie wrote:

theman: try travelling on a pakistani passport. when making a road trip to the u.s., for example, we had to wait 3.5 hours once, and 3 hours another time, at the u.s. border immigration. For me, its one of the biggest reason for my 'impatience'. i have close family in the u.s. I rarely visit them because air travel is expensive, i cant take advantage of last minute deals coz of kids schooling etc., and road travel is such a hassle with us. Cant wait for the passport so i can easily road trip to the u.s. In air travel too, we are subjected to extra scrutiny, and there have been stories of harassment, people missing their flights etc. 
TheMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by SK SK wrote:

....( and pls dont say you have PR and that should be enough..if that is the case...pls dont apply for citizenship....)

Not sure if you just jumped in or you have been following my posts and I am not going to try to figure this out but I will answer your comment above. 

I never said that I dont need or want to apply for Citizenship. I love this country, this Country has given a lot to me. This is my home. All I was saying that PR gives me enough to stay busy in what I am doing now. I will apply for Citizenship but I am not going to expect this process to end overnight. It will take time and I need to give them time to do their job.

BTW - I am more Canadian than you think I am.

And the whole premise that has been floated around by few (very few) on this forum that anyone who wants the process to move faster or more efficiently has ulterior motives , like leaving country after getting passport.....or what ever is preposterous(yes it happens , but no need to generalize and paint everyone in same color).... and if one says that is not the case ...then there is no reason for anyone not to expect a process that takes maximum 4-6 months in any other OECD country to be faster ....actually way faster and transparent....

One can justify all he/she wants ...i intend to and hopefully will be citizen of this country soon  and being a immigrant myself have views about plight of similar folks like me...and i believe things should be made faster .....again government may decide to change law and stop immigration all together.....but as long as they have a policy in place......it should be fast and efficient ...

In my opinion, instead of making the process 'faster' they should first work on preventing people to abuse the system. If they find out that someone is not intending to live in the Country they should penalize them heavily because you did say somewhere in the your PR application that you (not you personally, I am talking about all PR applicants) wanted to live here permanently right? 

If you get your Canadian Passport and move back to your home country and you had the intentions of doing it from long before then you should be penalized.

I am not generalizing but MOST people who want this process to end very quickly have other motives besides 1. not being able to wait 2. voting 3. freedom of travelling anywhere. 

xero9 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xero9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:14am
TM, I don't think it's fair to label the majority of people who want the process to be wrapped up as quickly as possible abusers.  After all, it is human nature to not have to wait.

There's obviously abuse of the system, but don't mistake impatience with abuse.
immigrant11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immigrant11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by TheMan TheMan wrote:

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:  YES---THEY ARE BOTH SCHOOL TEACHERS WITH NO KIDS AND NORMALLY ENJOY LAST MINUTE HOP ON DEALS (summer holidays winter break etc etc if you can imagine it yourself).  whatever the argument-the reason stays valid

OK great. How many people on this people fall in the category of being school teachers who can take advantage of last minute deals, pack their bags and leave the next day? Also, we are talking about majority of the people here NOT you or a couple you know, think broad. In addition to that, you are using an example of school teachers and going on last min deals in summer and breaks. Well, you just contracdicted yourself because in your example that couple who happend to be coincidently school teachers Big smile must have also "talked" about looking out for any last minute deals during summer or winter breaks etc. THAT IS CALLED PLANING which is what I was referring to. Short notice or long notice everyone plans. 
Are you saying that the couple in your example did not leave the country for 4-5 years until they get their Citizenship and spend 4-5 summers, winter breaks etc in Canada because they did not want to apply for the visa of the country they wanted to visit? 

The point of the matter is, and read this like 5 times before replying. Normal people WHO LIKE TRAVELING do not stay in Canada for 4-5 years (waiting for their Citizenship) just because they do not want to go through the 'hassle' of getting the visa to travel. They plan and get the visa,wait for summer to get the last minute deals as you suggested.

It does not matter:  It is a reason and will stay a reason.  The number of people are irrelevant

Again, we are talking about majority of the people here. Majority of the people on this forum are not frustrated about consulate services of their countries and want Citizenship to avoid this.

This is only your opinion.  I never said all the items listed are for the majority.  When there are more than two reason the majority will fall below 34% and will never be considered majority.  Counting the number of reasons I posted alone answer your question.

IMMIGRANT11 Answers:  Not interested in any business myself but will help others if you like post it in a separate post for others new immigrants as a useful opinion.  For me it is enough that you agree and removes this one from discussion. Thanks 2 for 2

Again, you are not interested in any business which is what I want because I dont want everyone to be a business owner. I want most people to work jobs, helps me. Also, you cant tell people what to do. 

No I am not telling anyone what do?  And am not interested in business.  I only said "IF" which gives you the choice please try to read carefully before making a statement.

immigrant11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immigrant11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:49pm
Theman:  Certain things are not hassle for you are hassles for others no logic and nothing else to add.  If you are going to reason the reasons then there is not much to say because the reasons are reasons that we shared with you.  And if you are asking for reasons then they are there for all to see.
All the best.
hunter2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 1:34am
Hello TheMan,

If you want a simple answer about why many people obsess over their application process here is one: lack of control over their environment causes people (and other animals) stress and anxiety which in some individuals manifests as compulsive behavior, like for example repeated checking of things (which is a classic symptom). The CIC process is opaque enough to give the impression of lack of control, and some people stress over it more than others -- everyone is different. That does not mean that those people are cheating or have ill intent or any intent, it just means they stress easier -- not everyone has a good pokerface either, for the same reason.

Keep in mind that not *all* people who apply for citizenship post on this site -- 99.99% don't. So what you have here is bias of self-selection, which makes it seem to you like *everyone* is stressing over their application, when in fact it's only a ridiculously small fraction of people, with whom you have chosen to pick a fight here by essentially asking them why they were born that way...

In my case, I admit I was myself repeatedly checking the site and stressing over every detail, even though rationally I knew it would not make a difference. After I got my citizenship, guess what? I am still in Canada. I am sure that for the vast majority of people who post it's just a case of anxiety. May be you have been anxious over something in your life too at some point and after the event you thought it was not worth worrying -- a sports game perhaps, a love interest, or some other similarly inconsequential event?

P.S. No matter how much you deny it, for *some* people it's a huge hassle to travel with their PR card + other country passport, due to the constant need to keep up with visas for everywhere, PR card renewal, etc. And some people like to travel, believe it or not, and given that we don't live in a prison it is their right. So a Canadian passport has huge practical value. And by the way, if I were you I wouldn't keep that I-94 on exit, because next time you enter you won't get a stamp, which will make it harder to prove your trip dates for CIC when you finally do apply... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic