Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

got a job, now what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futuredentist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: got a job, now what?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 3:21pm
Hi everyone,
I have got myself a job and she will be sending me an official offer letter this week. I have accepted to work on commission basis. So as long as I don't make a sale I get minimum wage. I took this up because I need to show employment to bring my husband over. In any other scenario, I would not have taken it, plus I really think that my boss is one of those people who expects you to put in more hours than a normal work day. So what will happen at a point when I want to quit, will it affect my husband's sponsorship?  Someone did answer this question but they seemed to have been born and raised in Canada whereas I just came here a week ago (so establishing ties to Canada would be crucial). I'm so worn out looking for a place to live and for jobs. I can't get my brain to figure this one out.
Also Olympics is a bad time to move to Vancouver if anyone is thinking of doing that. I can't find a place to stay and looked at 3 places a day since I got here. The good places are taken up. If anyone knows any new immigrant welcome service company, do let me know.

:(
mapgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mapgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:10pm
I am glad to hear you found a job. It is a start! :)
Try it for awhile and if you don't like it you can keep looking for something else more interesting.

For services in Vancouver, you could check out the Immigrant Services Society of BC
http://www.issbc.org/

Pacific Immigrant Society - offering services to women and their children
http://www.pirs.bc.ca/

Mosaic Immigrant Services - I have seen this one recommended before
http://www.mosaicbc.com/

There is also Welcome Wagon - it is geared to anyone who moves to a new area, someone comes to you bringing local coupons and information, but they might be able to tell you more about Vancouver.
http://www.welcomewagon.ca/en/index.php

Hopefully the city will settle down after the Olympics. I am sure rental units will become more available. If enough come on the market it might help to bring prices down too. One of the immigrant services might be able to help you find a place to live. What areas have you been looking in? Have you tried outside of the downtown area?

Sent: 21 Dec 09
Rec'd CPC-M: 23 Dec 09
Sponsorship Appr'd: 13 Jan 10
PPR from London by email: 25 Feb 10
Landed: 6 May 10
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:51am
I went through a gap of two months between jobs last summer, whilst our sponsorship was taking place. It does not affect your sponsorship. From what I recall, as long as there are no kids involved, you don't even need a job in order to sponsor your husband.   There are many reasons, not the least of which is financial, why it is better to have a job however. Like the previous poster says, you can always move to better things.
futuredentist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futuredentist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:56am
Hi Mapgirl,

I was looking more along the lines of housing for my parents who will be visiting. When they first landed in Toronto, there was a newcomer service that provided them accommodation in a house with other recent immigrants. It was a good service. Is there something similar in BC?

Thanks for the list.

I have been looking all over town for a place. I am looking at places near Comm/Broadway. I want to be as close as possible to the 99 B-line so that I can visit my friends often who live at Comm/Broadway. So far I found one perfect shared apartment with another girl but she is taking time to decide on me. It's very frustrating. Since I won't be having a car for at least 6 months, I am being very choosy about the apartment location being close to skytrain or transit. My employment will be in Kits near Granville and 2nd avenue so I am keeping an eye on proximity to my job as well.

Mapgirl, would you like to meet up for coffee some time? I will PM you.

-fd
futuredentist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futuredentist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:00pm
Wow, it's been a month exactly since my arrival in Vancouver. There are so many things to learn about this city and how things work here.

I know in my previous posts I mentioned getting a job in sales on commission basis. But the employer eventually decided to start me on a part-time basis, even though she never mentioned this before and other conditions that were to be met by me. I did not really like that she sprang these on me in the last minute and declined her offer.

In the mean time I was called to talk with someone from Investor's Group. They 'hire' you as an independent consultant. So I have to pay some 1500 CAD for my certifications and they will reimburse me partly. THis job is a long stretch as I have no contacts in Canada to sell financial products to.

Last but not the least, I was recently offered a job by Bell Canada. They made me sign on the offer letter that stated that training starts on March 15 and I would be paid for that period. Now they call me and say that it won't start until April 15 or even May 15. I'm still going to have to look for a part-time job until my training begins but my question is whether I could use their offer letter (which is a bunch of blanks filled in by my initialing various terms and conditions) to sponsor my husband and show for employment. It would not be an 'employment letter' but a form that mentions who hired me etc.

I'm kind of frustrated because I have been to great lengths for all of the offers above and not much result even though I know that's how it works. I thought that some of you may have an idea what I could do.

- FD
gggomez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 8:14pm
futuredentist- They called my employer to verity my employment! I don't know if they do this or not for everyone! Welcome to vancouver, Its too bad you hadn't posted your need for a place a couple of weeks ago, I just rented the extra room out. But I know that mosaic does help people out I have sent a few immigrants there myself.  But It may be for people who have just newly arrived from another country? And they offer great service on immigration issues.

Good Luck!
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 9:00pm
Hi FD

I do not see why you cannot use an offer of employment as proof of your (near future) job. By the time it gets past first stage approval, a month after you submit it, you will be either starting or very close to starting your new position.

Since there are no dependants beyond your husband, if you read the guide to sponsorship, there isn't even a need to show you have employment income, although obviously having one helps assure the IO's that your husband will not have to resort to asking for social assistance when he does get here if you are in work.

I have friends who work for Shaw, they regularly hire customer service reps. You'll find that once you expand your network, the jobs come easier. Have you tried the employment agencies in the Lower Mainland? I will try PM you a list.

EM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic