Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outland October/November/December

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipxxxflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:31am
trebass, before my wife came to the U.S.  we had this same problem. I went to H & B and they ask for her Social number and I said she only has a sin number and that I could not claim her. I also searched and searched for a sight to enter a Social and  a SIN number. Sorry I could not help but I would make a new topic one of the veterans on here has to know sorry I could not help you!
App sent Nov 2
Received App-Nov 13
Started Processing-Dec 4
Decision Made-Dec. 4
Received Sponship Letter-Dec 12
AOR- Dec 16
Buffalo Started Processing. Dec 16
File Trans to Detroit-Jan 12

BlueDragon17846 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDragon17846 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by trebass trebass wrote:

For those that are applying for PR from the USA...

How are you doing your taxes in the US with your spouse?? Just looking for some guidance if you know any good website, sources, anything? My wife started to look at the taxes and we are dumbfounded on how to include my income on there.

Thanks guys!

Still waiting to hear from buffalo :S
From what I understand, you can do married file separate or married file jointly.  If you want to do married file jointly, you have to get a SSN for the Canadian spouse.  Then what you do is report both of your incomes as what they called "worldwide income."  If you file separate you don't have to get an SSN for the Canadian spouse, and only the American has to claim their income.  This, of course, is given that the Canadian has not earned any income in the U.S.
We filed separately anyway, because my income was so small compared to my husband's that I was going to get a better refund on my U.S. taxes without his there to mess it up.  And besides, we would have had to get him an SSN, which just didn't make any sense.
Believe it or not, there are some very helpful people at the IRS that specifically have a page and some contact numbers for tax help for Americans abroad.  This is the number I called to get the info I needed.  Check out the page here:
****INLAND****
App sent: 11 Dec 2009
App recv'd: 14 Dec 2009
App started processing: 1 Mar 2010
AIP: 13 Sept 2010
Fingerprints Requested for RCMP: 4 March 2011
LANDED!!: 12 May 2011
BlueDragon17846 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDragon17846 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 11:04am
Also a note that if you are filing separately, you can leave the SSN for the spouse blank.  They said it will get rejected by the computer, but then eventually fall into human hands, where they will figure it out that the American is not even claiming the spouse anyway, so the SSN doesn't matter.  They said the worst that can happen is that it will delay your refund, but I didn't care so much about that.  I think I actually put "Canadian" in the blank just so the people looking at it would figure out why he doesnt have an SSN.
****INLAND****
App sent: 11 Dec 2009
App recv'd: 14 Dec 2009
App started processing: 1 Mar 2010
AIP: 13 Sept 2010
Fingerprints Requested for RCMP: 4 March 2011
LANDED!!: 12 May 2011
Ravenesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravenesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 2:22pm
Unless you qualify to apply for an SSN (Are you a legal permanent resident in the US?), you will not be able to get one.

For the purpose of federal tax reporting only, you have to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Who needs an ITIN?
IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.
Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

• Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
  • U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
  • Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
  • Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

-----------------------------------------
Dec-02-2009 - Rcvd by CPC-M
Dec-29-2009 - Sponsor Apprvl
Jan-14-2010 - AOR Buffalo
Feb-05-2010 - File to Seattle
Ravenesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravenesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 7:41pm
Hubby got a PPR! Woohoo! He's dropping it off to the Seattle Consulate next Thursday in person and they'll have it ready for him to pick up a week later.

Thanks, Flipflop for suggesting to email the consulate. We sent them two emails--It took them about a week to respond, but they finally did.
-----------------------------------------
Dec-02-2009 - Rcvd by CPC-M
Dec-29-2009 - Sponsor Apprvl
Jan-14-2010 - AOR Buffalo
Feb-05-2010 - File to Seattle
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 8:30pm
congrats Ravenesque!!!!
" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
dealic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 7:24am
Awesome! Congrats!
SCsquare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 12:42pm
Congrats Raven!!!..
App Sent cpc-m - 28th Aug 09
Sponsorship App - 17th Nov 09
AOR from buffalo - 14th Dec 09
Interview Scheduled - 21st Jul 10
Passport requested , aprroved n passport received - 21st July 2010
flipxxxflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipxxxflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 5:38pm
CONGRATS RAVEN! So happy it worked for you and your husband! Wish you guys the best of luck! Were still waiting for our passport to come back.
App sent Nov 2
Received App-Nov 13
Started Processing-Dec 4
Decision Made-Dec. 4
Received Sponship Letter-Dec 12
AOR- Dec 16
Buffalo Started Processing. Dec 16
File Trans to Detroit-Jan 12

peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 6:40pm
Congrats, Ravenesque! That is great news!

My fella got an email the other day that made us go white. It was a request to attend an interview and it was a re-schedule because he "failed to appear" for the first one. He never received the original email they had sent. They of course included a copy of the original email which also stated that he must bring his passport and documents showing his ongoing relationship with me. We were pretty perplexed at that since we had already sent plenty of those documents (mail, email, cards, photos, etc.), including statutory declarations. And we were even more perplexed that they requested his passport...because they have it! Kinda hoping that doesn't mean they lost it. Most likely what it means is that person working in cubicle A hasn't yet met person working in cubicle B.

We responded by explaining that the original email had never come through and that they have his passport. I don't know if we will hear back from them before the interview (later in March).

We were mainly upset because it seemed like a black mark against him since he didn't show up the first time...the one he was completely unaware of.

Oh well...here is hoping all will go well!!
Peachy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
  Share Topic