Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Satement of our relationship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Satement of our relationship
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:18pm
Did every one else do this? I personally think that there are many questions that I would ask when determining weather a relationship is genuine that were not covered on the application. I feel that adding a statement to my application outlining our relationship explaining how we met and how our relationship has evolved and what we have had to overcome in our relationship would help to cover any gaps in the questions presented in the Questionnaire.

Firstly if you did write a statement how many pages long was it? We have been together for 4 1/2 years now, obviously I wouldnt want to ramble on for say 10+ pages so that the Person processing my case would look at it and think "I dont have time to read that" and get board halfway through, but I also dont want to write too little!

Secondly...I was in Canada out of status...would you personally add that information? Or wait until CIC asked me as it would become obvious given the flight Itinerary's I am submitting and Visitors Record at the Time I became out of status! I was not given and order to leave Canada and did not work, commit a crime or try to study in Canada. I left of my own accord when we could afford my flight etc..

App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:41pm
Well I don't think it can hurt to write a letter. We each sent one with our application, him stating thing from his point of view, me from my point of view, but we made sure it all correlated , was about 4-5pages typed. Explaining in details the beggining of our relationship, engagement, wedding, where we are now, and what we are looking foward to in the future.

For the second part of your question, I don't know. maybe someone with more information on overstaying can help you.

" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:55pm
I would not mention it unless asked. You have to answer truthfully what you are asked, but that does not mean you have to incriminate yourself by giving any information other than what they request.
It is your job to prove you are in a genuine relationsip, anything else is up to them.
Suppose they were not to notice you had been here illegally but you mentioned it and this caused you problems, where as if you had not mentioned it they would have dealt with your application very quickly, its just not worth it.
If they ask, tell the truth, if they dont, then they dont need to know, your job is just to show that you have been together, how that came about is for CIC to decide if they want to know.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 5:56pm
Thank you both

Redeagle:I didn't think of it like that, I guess I was concentrating on the fact that I should tell the truth in my application and I overlooked the fact that I may be tripping myself up by giving them this information, I guess if they don't ask me about my over stay I am not technically telling an untruth to them if I don't volunteer the information as CIC will have the facts in-front of them and can clearly see from the date my VR expired and the date I left the country that I overstayed!

I love your quote you have as your signature...If many people asked themselves that question may arguments could be avoided...
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 7:42pm
The hilarious thing is that most arguments are caused soley by someone who knows they are wrong just not admitting it.
Who was it that said 'there are 3 sides to every story, yours, mine and the truth'?
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 12:16am
I think most people on this forum are in the married spousal sponsorship; but in our case, in our common-law application, we were asked to provide further evidence of our relationship and continuing relationship... so this did indeed entail a ten-page account of how we met, how the relationship developed, and then for the year of cohabitation that common law sponsorship requires we submitted a month by month account of what we did as a couple, even to the point of correlating it to the bank statements, photographs and flight ticket stubs. Needless to say, when it came to interview, I would like to think that this helped pave the way for their acknowledgement that we were a genuine couple.

I think there is considerably more onus of proof on a common law couple though, since married applicants dont have that one year of co-habitation requirement.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:55am
Re telling the "truth" -- yeah, sure, and the "truth" is . . . who knows.

Yes, one should be honest. Even forthright. Not necessarily forthcoming however. Ahhhh the nuances of language and communication generally. There are "gray" areas, and then there is "fudging." Sometimes one has to exercise "discretion." We live in that sort of world. By this, however, I do not mean to suggest that outright deception is a good idea. It usually is not. Understanding the parameters of various inquiries, and responding appropriately, with due consideration given to inferences and implications, and thus responding not just appropriately but carefully, that can save one a fair bit of trouble.

My advice: be honest, be aware of implications and inferences, and be careful.

In the meantime, re the marriage versus common-law scene: if the common-law relationship is well established, that is, the existence of it, I suspect it actually has more weight and effect, relative to the issue of the genuineness of the relationship, than a legal marriage. A legal marriage satisfies the fundamental requirement of a "qualifying relationship," the certificate of marriage being sufficient to do that. Yes, to prove the "existence" of a common-law marriage (relationship) requires proof of the full year of cohabitation in a conjugal relationship whereas a legally married couple establishes such a relationship even if they have not lived together a day, but once one has proven living together a full year that is, in itself, rather strong evidence that the relationship is also genuine. Indeed, I doubt that couples who prove living together for a full year encounter much, if any, question about the genuineness of the marriage. (I think of my wife . . . and her thinking "why in the . . . would I live with him [for that long] if we were not in a genuine relationship?)
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:23am
I agree wholeheartedly with dpenabill.  Don't lie, but truthfulness has limits when you're dealing with someone who holds your fate in their hands.  But maybe this truthfulness isn't absolute because by being honest, you can cause trouble for yourself.  

Case in point.  A few years ago, I applied for a NEXUS card, and had to sit for interviews with Canadian and American authorities.  The Canadian interview was a breeze.  Not so the American interview.  One of the questions I was asked was "have you ever smoked marijuana?".  Within a second, several scenarios flashed through my mind.  (AND NO, it wasn't "acid flashbacks".)  I wondered if he'd believe me, someone who went to university in the early 1970s, if I said "No".  

So I told the truth.  (I was tempted to say I tried it once but never exhaled, but thought better of it.) What followed was a whole series of questions about when, where, with whom, how much, and when was the last time.  I answered truthfully (it has been more than 25 years since I last inhaled.)  The next round of questions was whether I knew anyone with a criminal record, anyone who sold or grew weed, did I ever sell or grow, etc, etc.  This went on for more than 30 minutes.

Many times since, I've thought maybe I should have lied, but I guess they believed me because I got my NEXUS card.  I think I got lucky.

I still think truth is best because there's only one story you have to remember, and no stories you have to "keep straight".  It's hard enough to remember everything as it is.  When you have more than one version of any event in your life, it taxes your mind, not to mention the conscience.  But sometimes, survival comes into it, and you have to conceal things that are likely to hurt you.  Just make sure nobody can find out.

B47

Edited by boundary47 - 27 Jan 2010 at 2:24am
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:52pm
Thank you for your feed back,

My problem is that I entered Canada in April 2006 on mt waiver I declaired that I was staying for 1 month in Canada. 2 Weeks later I discovered that I was pregnant, after a trip to the Dr I was refered to a Maternity Clinic that advised me not to travel until I had my 20 week scan due to pervious medical problems with a previous pregnancy that ended badly! There was no date on my stamp so I stayed the full 6 months. At my 20 week scan it was found that I had a medical issue with my pregnancy and was ordered not to fly back home and the drs refused to write me a letter to fly as it could be life threatening. So I extended my stay and CIC issued me with a Visitors Record in 2006. The expiry date was Jan 30 2007.

I should have applied to extend my Visitors record father, I realize that now and wish I had, it was the stupidest thing I could ever do! However I was a new mother that had no experience with babies and didn't have a clue what I was doing, I panicked! I did not have a good relationship with my father at the time so had nobody to help me back in the UK and nowhere to go, so I stayed...I didn't work, study or commit any crimes during that time. My husband took a huge pay cut and we were struggling to live day by day with an extra mouth to feed. So we were far from being able to afford to move to the UK or even buy me a flight home.

It also took us 6 months (through errors with her application) to obtain our daughters British Passport. I ended up staying for 16 months past the date I was supposed to leave. I was not issued any kind of deportation order etc and I left for 6 months of my own accord to try to right my silly mistake.

And this is the explanation I am going to give CIC if they ask. As I am submitting my flight documents in and out of Canada for the past 4 1/2 years and my Visitors Records thus making it plain to see that I overstayed. That is why I am unsure whether to admit in my application that I over stayed or just wait until they ask? Would it be considered with holding information and become frowned upon? Or would I really cause myself more problems admitting it?

Last time I entered Canada the Boarder Control officer asked me when I last entered Canada - in which I answered April 5 2006, he then asked when I last left Canada - I said June 6 2008. Am I wrong in thinking that they can see that I had over stayed? Surely there would be a note on my passport file that my stay expired in Jan 2007?

In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:06pm
Have you and your husband ever been to a certain restraunt more than once? This could prove you do things together so you should tell them so that they dont think you are witholding information.
On the application it asks if you were refused a visa? That you must answer, but it does not ask if you have overstayed, if they want that info, they should put it on the form. Its really not your problem.
You supply everything they ask for, and anything which strengthens your case, you supply nothing they dont ask for, its their problem, let them deal with it.
There was someon on here who was certain he had a criminal record in the states but London wanted his passport for his visa, he was going to inform them to wait until he had obtained the police check, this is ludicrus, they are the professionals at this, not you. Keep your case simple

Edited by redeagle - 27 Jan 2010 at 2:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic