Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If THe sponsor losses his job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:50am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Re the original question: ditto that you can indeed go on unemployment benefits without it affecting your eligibility to sponsor your partner; just not on what some would call "welfare." I do not believe that becoming unemployed is a change in circumstance that needs to be reported to CIC. I am pretty confident of this. Being temporarily unemployed does not affect your eligibility to sponsor so there is no reason you would need to keep CIC informed of this change in circumstances.

Re option C -- While there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsors, I believe the sponsor does have to provide an option C or at least an explanation as to why they cannot . . . so if an applicant can obtain an option C, they need to obtain it and to include it!

We needed a signed letter from my new employer when I changed jobs, That was prior to sponsor approval though. I don't know what would be the case had I received sponsor approval prior to changing employers.
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:16am
I can explain Employment Insurance because I'm on Maternity Leave right now, but I have no idea about Welfare.

Employment Insurance (EI) is where Canadian workers pay premiums of 1.73% of insured earnings in return for benefits if they lose their jobs. Employers contribute 1.4 times the value of employee premiums.  EI also pays for maternity and parental leave, compassionate care leave, and illness coverage. The program also pays for retraining programs (EI Part II) through labour market agreements with the Canadian provinces.

The amount a person receives (from experience I can tell you in Alberta the maximum weekly income you can receive is $447/week before taxes regardless of how much you make over $48,048/yr) and how long they can stay on EI varies with their previous salary, how long they were working (you have to have a minimum amount of hours worked to qualify), and the unemployment rate in their area. The EI system is managed by Service Canada, a service delivery network reporting to the Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

A bit over half of EI benefits are paid in Ontario and the Western provinces but EI is especially important in the Atlantic provinces, which have higher rates of unemployment. Many Atlantic workers are also employed in seasonal work such as fishing, forestry or tourism and go on EI over the winter when there is no work. There are special rules for fishermen making it easier for them to collect EI.

Originally posted by job_seeker job_seeker wrote:

What is the difference between going on welfare and going on unemployment benefits? Sorry I have to ask, being new in an entirely different social system.

Edited by Mrs.Sam - 01 Dec 2009 at 3:18am
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:36am
Thanks Mrs Sam. Now all I have to do is wait for is for somebody to explain "welfare" and how can one avail of it?

Edited by job_seeker - 01 Dec 2009 at 3:59am
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:38am
Sure mitamata.... IF you include it they will look at it. Tongue lol

Today I was advised point blank.... YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT AN OPTION C if you are just sponsoring your spouse. I guess I should have got the CIC Call Center Agent's ID Number Wink lol.

I think applicants should submit as much supporting information as they can. Better too much, then too little. Thumbs Up After all who wants to be Declined? Cry

Originally posted by mitamata mitamata wrote:

Just to clarify... if you can get the Option C, then you should include it. They DO look at it

You can sponsor without having an income, but you still have to show them you're not bankrupt. If you are bankrupt, then you can't sponsor. Or if you're on social assistance.

Originally posted by Mrs.Sam Mrs.Sam wrote:

Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!! 

"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597
mitamata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitamata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 4:27am
Unfortunately, CIC agents don't always give the most reliable information. I honestly can't say if this is the case here, I've not heard of anyone having issues for not submitting Option C, but better to be safe than sorry, right? :)

EI doesn't count as welfare because it's... well, it's insurance. You had to pay the insurance premium sort to speak (the employer deducts it from the paycheck), so you're entitled to it if you qualify.

I can't say about welfare (social assistance is a better term), I've only been in Canada for a few months, so don't know the details. I do know for example that student loans aren't it. You might be able to get more information here:
http://www.canadabenefits.gc.ca/[email protected]?lang=eng&geo=5
Outland - spousal - Vienna - 2009
Feb 16th - app received at CPC-M
Mar 3rd - decision made at CPC-M
Mar 27th - received AOR
Apr 29th - PPR received via email
May 12th - Passport with visa received :)
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 6:32am
It has been awhile, but I have indeed seen reports of people getting requests for the option C if they failed to include it.

The problem with CIC call centre responses is sometimes akin to the problem with polls -- how the question was asked, and how it was interpreted, can have a significant impact on the answer given.

In this instance: yes, indeed, it is absolutely true, an option C may not be necessary. A sponsor may be approved to sponsor a spouse even if they did not submit an option C.

BUT that does not mean an application to sponsor will be approved if the sponsor does not submit an option C and fails to give an adequate explanation for not submitting an option C.

But, again, in previous discussions in the previous rendition of this forum, there were reports of delays pending requests for the option C in the CPC-M phase. The information regarding employment is relevant for a spousal sponsorship in ways other than to prove income.

So, either submit the option C OR submit an explanation of why it CANNOT be included.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:23am

Thanks Mrs Sam. Now all I have to do is wait for is for somebody to explain "welfare" and how can one avail of it?

One does not want to avail themselves to welfare/social assistance. It will disqualify the sponsor.
idriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
Thanks alot of the replies.
When I sent my application I sent them my T4 slip for the last year (2008). I made more than enough than they require, but if I get laid off. do I call them to let them know?, I can show them T4 of this year which we get in January. thanks alot
hbwpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbwpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
Thanks for the clarification! That is what I was sure of too, but was intending to ask and be on the safe side when I call them today.

And yes, to the poster who said knowledge is power, nary a truer word has been said.

Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!!

I just found that out today after reading it on here, and then confirmed it with the CIC Call Center... just TODAY! Embarrassed

Of course you still have to meet the other qualifications, but if you lose your job or made $1 in the last 12 months... it does not matter!

Refer to Page 9 of the Sponsor's Guide:

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. Youmay solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If youreside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have nochildren of their own, or· your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px"></SPAN>

Originally posted by idriss idriss wrote:

I'm sponsoring my husband if I lose my job, because My job contract is over, we sent the application in august, but we haven't received any letter yet. I don't know if My employer will extend the contract or not, but what happens in case I get laid off tnx alot
hbwpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbwpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:35am
This is an *excellent* summary of EI, Mrs.Sam. It can be confusing to people and you laid it out perfectly.

And indeed, those on the East Coast rely on EI for at least half of the year.

I went on EI after a death in the family so I could get back on my feet and received about 1300 a month. It wasn't stellar, but it certainly helped me when I needed it the most.

I can explain Employment Insurance because I'm on Maternity Leave right now, but I have no idea about Welfare.

Employment Insurance (EI) is where Canadian workers pay premiums of 1.73% of insured earnings in return for benefits if they lose their jobs. Employers contribute 1.4 times the value of employee premiums. EI also pays for maternity and parental leave, compassionate care leave, and illness coverage. The program also pays for retraining programs (EI Part II) through labour market agreements with the Canadian provinces.

The amount a person receives (from experience I can tell you in Alberta the maximum weekly income you can receive is $447/week before taxes regardless of how much you make over $48,048/yr) and how long they can stay on EI varies with their previous salary, how long they were working (you have to have a minimum amount of hours worked to qualify), and the unemployment rate in their area. The EI system is managed by Service Canada, a service delivery network reporting to the Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

A bit over half of EI benefits are paid in Ontario and the Western provinces but EI is especially important in the Atlantic provinces, which have higher rates of unemployment. Many Atlantic workers are also employed in seasonal work such as fishing, forestry or tourism and go on EI over the winter when there is no work. There are special rules for fishermen making it easier for them to collect EI.

What is the difference between going on welfare and going on unemployment benefits? Sorry I have to ask, being new in an entirely different social system.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic