Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If THe sponsor losses his job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If THe sponsor losses his job?
    Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 12:06am
I'm sponsoring my husband if I lose my job, because My job contract is over, we sent the application in august, but we haven't received any letter yet. I don't know if My employer will extend the contract or not, but what happens in case I get laid off tnx alot
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 12:22am
You're okay so long as you don't go on public assistance. You can go on unemployment if that applies, but not welfare.

Good luck!
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 12:23am
And - et them know of the change as soon as it takes effect or as soon as you can!
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 1:57am
Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!! 

I just found that out today after reading it on here, and then confirmed it with the CIC Call Center... just TODAY! Embarrassed

Of course you still have to meet the other qualifications, but if you lose your job  or made $1 in the last 12 months... it does not matter!

Refer to Page 9 of the Sponsor's Guide:

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past
12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You
may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If you
reside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only
· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or
· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have no
children of their own, or
· your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.

Originally posted by idriss idriss wrote:

I'm sponsoring my husband if I lose my job, because My job contract is over, we sent the application in august, but we haven't received any letter yet. I don't know if My employer will extend the contract or not, but what happens in case I get laid off tnx alot

Edited by Mrs.Sam - 01 Dec 2009 at 2:02am
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:03am
Thanks Mrs Sam - I forgot that. Knowledge *is* power.

Good luck idriss - you shouldn't have an issue!
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:09am
LOL, I sure wish I would have known that... 11 months ago LOL. At this age I still learn something new every day!!! Big smile

Originally posted by tgchi13 tgchi13 wrote:

Thanks Mrs Sam - I forgot that. Knowledge *is* power.

Good luck idriss - you shouldn't have an issue!
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Mrs.Sam Mrs.Sam wrote:

LOL, I sure wish I would have known that... 11 months ago LOL. At this age I still learn something new every day!!! Big smile

Originally posted by tgchi13 tgchi13 wrote:

Thanks Mrs Sam - I forgot that. Knowledge *is* power. Good luck idriss - you shouldn't have an issue!

AGREED! At this age, I should know better. The forum helps remind me of the biggest lesson of all: We are not alone.
mitamata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitamata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:33am
Just to clarify... if you can get the Option C, then you should include it. They DO look at it

You can sponsor without having an income, but you still have to show them you're not bankrupt. If you are bankrupt, then you can't sponsor. Or if you're on social assistance.

Originally posted by Mrs.Sam Mrs.Sam wrote:

Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!! 

Outland - spousal - Vienna - 2009
Feb 16th - app received at CPC-M
Mar 3rd - decision made at CPC-M
Mar 27th - received AOR
Apr 29th - PPR received via email
May 12th - Passport with visa received :)
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:35am
Re the original question: ditto that you can indeed go on unemployment benefits without it affecting your eligibility to sponsor your partner; just not on what some would call "welfare." I do not believe that becoming unemployed is a change in circumstance that needs to be reported to CIC. I am pretty confident of this. Being temporarily unemployed does not affect your eligibility to sponsor so there is no reason you would need to keep CIC informed of this change in circumstances.

Re option C -- While there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsors, I believe the sponsor does have to provide an option C or at least an explanation as to why they cannot . . . so if an applicant can obtain an option C, they need to obtain it and to include it!
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:47am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Re the original question: ditto that you can indeed go on unemployment benefits without it affecting your eligibility to sponsor your partner; just not on what some would call "welfare." I do not believe that becoming unemployed is a change in circumstance that needs to be reported to CIC. I am pretty confident of this. Being temporarily unemployed does not affect your eligibility to sponsor so there is no reason you would need to keep CIC informed of this change in circumstances.

Re option C -- While there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsors, I believe the sponsor does have to provide an option C or at least an explanation as to why they cannot . . . so if an applicant can obtain an option C, they need to obtain it and to include it!

What is the difference between going on welfare and going on unemployment benefits? Sorry I have to ask, being new in an entirely different social system.

Edited by job_seeker - 01 Dec 2009 at 3:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic