Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If THe sponsor losses his job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:40am
Think of Employment Insurance like car insurance.
You pay the insurance premium to ensure that should just in case you have an accident or in this case lose your job you will receive compensention in the form of short term supplementary income.

Welfare on the other hand is a provincially controlled fund which is supposed to be used to give financial assistance to people in desperate/destitute situations.

Since EI is an insurance which the premium is paid for by the recipient it is not considered social assistance.
Welfare which is controlled by the province and the money comes from a certain percentage of all the taxpayers money is assitance by the general public.

by the way, although there is no minimum income requirement based on the Sponsors guide. The sponsor does still have to prove (s)he can support their spouse and their application can still be refused if the sponsor cannot prove (s)he can support their spouse. I cant remember exactly the section and paragraph but I think it is in the OP manual.
I do remember a couple in the forums maybe a year ago going through this problem. 
hbwpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbwpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:40am
Welfare is more of a social assistance than EI, which is a paid-into insurance that everyone is eligible for.

Welfare is not paid into, and you must be in dire need to qualify for it, or be a member of a disparaged group such as First Nations or disabled.

Rather than using the money you've paid into EI, it uses provincial funds to aid in daily living as well as assistance to find work (which EI also does).

The main difference is that EI is paid into with every paycheck while welfare is not.

Welfare is different from province to province, also, while EI is federal.

Anyway, you don't want to go on welfare

Originally posted by job_seeker job_seeker wrote:

Thanks Mrs Sam. Now all I have to do is wait for is for somebody to explain "welfare" and how can one avail of it?
hbwpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbwpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:42am
Originally posted by rbenoit rbenoit wrote:

by the way, although there is no minimum income requirement based on the Sponsors guide. The sponsor does still have to prove (s)he can support their spouse and their application can still be refused if the sponsor cannot prove (s)he can support their spouse. I cant remember exactly the section and paragraph but I think it is in the OP manual.

I do remember a couple in the forums maybe a year ago going through this problem.

However it states in the guide that if you are sponsoring your spouse with no dependent children it does not apply.

Yet the wording is confusing, which makes clarification handy.
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:05am
Just because it states there is no minimum income required does not mean you can be living in poverty. It just means you dont need to show income. you are still required to show you can support your spouse by other means.
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:16am
OP 2 Manual

page 42/43

10.3. Sponsors who do not meet the income test
Visa offices may receive undertakings from sponsors who are required to meet the income test
but who do not meet it. If the financial test is not met, CPC staff will send a copy of the work in
progress (WIP) transcript and a detailed explanation as to why the application to sponsor is Not
Met. CPC-M will also send the Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283E). It details a sponsor's financial
situation. If a sponsor does not fall under one of the categories described in R133(4), the
application should be refused under A11(2) pursuant to R120(a).and R133(1).
Sponsors of dependent children and of spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners
(unless they have dependent children who have dependent children of their own) do not have to
meet financial requirements, but they do undertake to provide for the basic necessities of the
sponsored applicants so that the applicants do not need social assistance. Applicants may be
refused for financial reasons under A39 if they are unable or unwilling to support themselves and
their dependent children and there are not adequate arrangements for their care and support.
Officers should take into consideration the sponsor’s financial situation and willingness to assist,
as well as the financial situation or employment prospects of the applicant, if applicable.
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:17am
Originally posted by hbwpg hbwpg wrote:

Welfare is more of a social assistance than EI, which is a paid-into insurance that everyone is eligible for.

Welfare is not paid into, and you must be in dire need to qualify for it, or be a member of a disparaged group such as First Nations or disabled.

Rather than using the money you've paid into EI, it uses provincial funds to aid in daily living as well as assistance to find work (which EI also does).

The main difference is that EI is paid into with every paycheck while welfare is not.

Welfare is different from province to province, also, while EI is federal.

Anyway, you don't want to go on welfare

Thanks hbwpg. I am not going into welfare I don't want anything to jeopardize my application to sponsor my family

Edited by job_seeker - 01 Dec 2009 at 9:19am
Mrs.Sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 11:12am
No, I don't think you need to advise them if you get laid off. They don't want to be contacted unless you're notifying them of an address change right Wink or withdrawing your application.

Originally posted by idriss idriss wrote:

Thanks alot of the replies.
When I sent my application I sent them my T4 slip for the last year (2008). I made more than enough than they require, but if I get laid off. do I call them to let them know?, I can show them T4 of this year which we get in January. thanks alot
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 6:57pm
if the sponsor has been approved, not telling then is still dicey. If it's not been approved, not telling them could prove destructive.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 5:54am
To emphasize: I am pretty sure there is no need to advise CIC the sponsor has become unemployed, nor of a change in job. It is not a qualifying criteria. If in doubt, read the guide for clear instructions as to what information does need to be updated . . . my recall is that it is (1) change in status of relationship, (2) change in address, (3) changes affecting eligibility to sponsor (filing bankruptcy, being incarcerated, going on welfare, and such . . . which is not going on EI), or (4) intent to withdraw sponsorship.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
launched View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote launched Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:29am
Quick question:
I have been out of Canada since 2007, when I filed my application I included my 2007 Option C printout, but did not add an explanation, does anyone think this could create a problem?

I have been approved to sponsor, but I am paranoid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic