Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Study and Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study and Work
    Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:10am
I am a Nigerian who has been in the UK on Student visa from February 2006 - November 2009. I renewed my visa to the Post study work visa from Nov 2009 - Nov 2011. I would like to move over to Canada and I want to know what to do. My wife joined me in the UK in July 2011 and now we have a baby who is 10 months.

My question is this:

1. I would like to know how I can get a work permit in Canada i.e I would appreciate if I can be assisted with websites on sponsoring employers.

2. Since my wife came to the UK she hasnt been able to attend Direct University or through affiliating college and now UK regulations on studying are not really favourable. I would appreciate if we can also be advised on cheap/affordable Universities or affiliating colleges to University in Canada as I want her to undergo her Undergraduate and post graduate degree in Canada.

Thank you.

scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 6:15pm
1. You need to find an employer first who is willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion. There are no websites of sponsoring employers. And if anyone offers to arrange a job for a fee - assume it's a scam. You just have to apply for jobs through regular employment websites and hope you find an employer who is willing to hire a foreign worker.

2. Unfortunately studying in Canada will be expensive for your wife. Because she is not a Canadian citizen/PR, she will have to pay foreign student rates which are significantly higher than domestic rates. When your wife applies for a student visa, in addition to showing sufficient funds to cover her first year tuition fees, she will also have to show an additional $10K for first year living expenses and a few extra $K for travel expenses.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:02pm

Two options:

1. As mentioned by Scylla you find an employer willing to hire a foreign national and then go through the Labour Market Opinion, HRDC approval and work permit process. This will allow you wife to accompany you and study in Canada if she wanted to.

2. Your wife applies for studies and goes through the study permit process. If she qualifies, you accompany her as her husband and apply for a open work permit once in Canada that will then allow you to work.

# 1 will depend on your qualifications and what you have to offer to a prospective employer. If your skills are wanted by an employer (and they cannot find any Canadian to fill the job), they may apply on your behalf for sponsorship to come and work. There is no other way to obtain a work permit if you are overseas.

# 2 will depend on your wife and her ability to convince the officers that she is a bona fide student and can afford to study while you come and accompany her while she is studying (ofcourse, assuming a study permit is issued, she can then work part time and you can work full time via a work permit that is issued to accompanying spouses of full time students).

Studying can be expensive. But if you have already paid in the UK there foreign student rates, then it is cheaper in Canada. From my personal experience in Calgary, the University there may cost for an international student anywhere from 17-25,000 a year in tuition. You add to that 10 to 15,000 for living expenses a year and your total amount may come to 40,000 year atleast.

Edited by MajidS - 19 Feb 2012 at 1:05pm
mesola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 8:40am
I've got a Bachelors degree in Computing but havent really got an experience on it in the UK. Besides, I have got a Customer Service experience with B&Q (DIY store) in the UK for 4 years and also worked as an Health Care Assistant for 2 years.

Furthermore, I worked in the IT sector in my Country (Nigeria) before immigrating to study in the UK for about 2 years and also did some voluntary work at my local Church in the UK as a Data Entry Assistant for about 2 years.

what are my prospects for securing an offer for work at any province in Canada please.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic