Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re-entering Canada without PR card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

II. To obtain a Travel Document from an overseas office, it is sufficient to establish status.

That is, no more is necessary than what you did at the POE. There is a fee, as I recall, and it can take a few days in many instances I understand, but for most PRs abroad, the process is not onerous, and there is no substantial burden of proving compliance with the Residency Obligation imposed. Just as you did, you report how long you have been outside Canada in addition to where you reside (which is probably the most common and frequently asked question at a POE as well), and that tells the tale (which in conjunction with what they see in FOSS is usually sufficient).

Sorry but I have to disagree!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf
The manual for the overseas procedure clearly says in 12, that the officer has to examine that the applicant is in compliance with residency obligations. So you need all documentation to prove that. 17 shows the cases when a TD can be issued. You need to comply with RO to get a TD.
At POE only the Status has to be determined!!! (See one of previous posts)
If you are in a situation, where you cannot access the documents required to povide evidence showing the compliance with RO, the only way to return to Canada might be travel via US.
"Persons who are outside Canada, and who lack Canadian immigration documentation to substantiate their claim to residency status, may apply at a visa office to obtain a prescribed document to enable them to be carried by a transportation company back to Canada [A148(1)]. In most cases, these persons will have to apply at a visa office for a travel document in order to return to Canada (except for persons in these circumstances who can reach a Canadian port of entry overland via the United States)."
All the rest I can fully agree.
For me, while being in compliance with RO, I still believe the travel via the US (in case you are admitted to the US) is the simplest way to travel while you are waiting for a renewed PR card.
Obtaining the TD is way more compicated and requires additional time and travel to the Canadian embassy abroad.

And another major advantage IMHO is what you explain in IIIb.
When there is a question about complianve with RO, there is a huge difference:
At POE you might get a removal order, yes. But you are entiteled to enter Canada and can deal with that from inside Canada and manintain your work...
At an embassy abroad, trying to obtain the TD, you are stranded and cannot come back until you sorted out the problems.
Even though the long term consequence might be the same, I'd rather go through the appeal process from inside Canada, then being stranded in a foreign country (maybe not your home country) and not being allowed to reenter Canada.

Edited by jogruni - 17 Dec 2011 at 1:31pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 4:02pm

I believe we are mostly in agreement, any difference being largely a matter of emphasis and scope.

The distinction I was making is a practical not technical one. PRs with no Residency Obligation issues need not be apprehensive, either way, either in approaching a POE or in applying for a TD (if they happen to find themselves abroad without a currently valid PR in possession). In contrast, the more there is a prospect of a RO issue, the greater the risks of a problem either way.

But yes, indeed, it seems that appearing at a POE versus applying for a TD from abroad is easier, but practically the real distinction is whether or not, and to what extent, there is a potential issue about compliance with the RO. No hint of an issue, no problem either way. A potential RO issue, then yes, indeed, better to be at the POE than applying for a TD. A likely issue, even more so, definitely better to be at the POE than applying for a TD.

And, yes, technically it is correct, at a POE not only is it correct that a PR does not have to prove compliance with the Residency Obligation to obtain entry into Canada, the PR can even decline to answer questions about compliance with the Residency Obligation . . . at least decline to answer any questions beyond the scope of the amount of time the PR was abroad on that particular occasion (which is, anyway, a standard question almost always asked very early in the contact with the BSO; similarly, usually the question "where do you live" has been asked and answered early in the encounter as well).

The practical implications of this have been discussed in this forum at length. The short and dirty of it, though, is that the PR well in compliance with the RO is not at all likely to face residency compliance questioning anyway, while the more there is a potential issue with RO compliance, the more likely the PR is to be questioned, and, usually, the better off the PR is in being cooperative as opposed to standing on the right to enter without being questioned further. (The latter is in many ways a shallow right anyway, since there are so many reasons which will justify a continued examination at a POE; as I have said previously, even returning citizens can find themselves hung up in an examination at the border for hours if the BSOs believe they have cause to do so. It should be recognized that rarely, very rarely, is this arbitrary or capricious; BSOs are far too serious and busy to bother engaging in harassing anyone beyond making the inquiries they feel complelled to do in order to properly do their jobs, to do due diligence.)

In contrast, right, technically the PR abroad without a PR card in possession and applying for a Travel Document must establish status and compliance with the Residency Obligation.

Practically, however, for a PR well in compliance with the RO the PR's declarations will suffice unless there is some reason why the overseas visa office is suspicious (recognizing, though, that in some cases, such as where all a PRs identity documents have been stolen and that is the reason why a TD must be applied for, there will be a heightened level of scrutiny to be certain of identity and relevant history).

Practically, for the PR who is indeed living permanently in Canada and who has traveled abroad briefly and who, for whatever reason, happens to be abroad without a currently valid PR card in possession, the inconvenience of applying for and obtaining a TD does not warrant any change in travel plans, particularly not if at a significant additional expense, to re-route their trip to go through the U.S. in order to approach Canada via a land crossing and thereby avoid applying for a TD.

Moreover:
Quote And another major advantage IMHO is what you explain in IIIb.
When there is a question about complianve with RO, there is a huge difference:
At POE you might get a removal order, yes. But you are entiteled to enter Canada and can deal with that from inside Canada and manintain your work...
At an embassy abroad, trying to obtain the TD, you are stranded and cannot come back until you sorted out the problems.

Not really. (BTW, this quote appears to be referring to something I said, but if so it is a paraphrase which has changed the meaning, glossing over the distinction between a PR living in Canada and traveling abroad, versus a PR who has been living abroad, or at least abroad for an extended time.)

A PR who has been living in Canada and who was abroad only briefly should not fear being stranded abroad if a TD is denied. A PR is entitled to an alternative TD allowing returning to Canada so long as . . . I forget the precise parameters, but I think that so long as the PR was in Canada within the previous year, the PR is entitled to a TD facilitating a return to Canada pending an appeal of the regular TD denial. Bottom-line, with rare exception (in one of the threads here I posted a link to a case that was, indeed, an exception, where the overseas visa office's denial of the TD was grossly unfounded and unreasonable), any PR who has been living in Canada and is not cutting the RO at all close, and who has not been outside Canada for an extended time recently, including especially during the most recent trip, should have nothing at all to fear about applying for a TD . . . and, again, even if it was denied, they are entitled to another TD that allows returning to Canada pending the appeal (recognizing that just like the PR who is appealing a removal order issued at the POE, the time in Canada then will not count toward compliance with the RO unless and until prevailing on the appeal). In other words, except for a PR who has been abroad for more than a year (again, not certain this is the parameter), there is virtually no difference between being issued a removal order at the POE versus being denied a TD at an overseas visa office.

Redundantly, but worth some emphasis, under the same set of circumstances there is also, it should be noted, probably, a greater risk of TD denial than there is of the issuance of a removal order; the overseas visa office decision-making apparently being more strict in calculating presence and less forgiving relative to H & C grounds. This goes back to what I said initially, that yes, indeed, if there is a "potential RO issue, then [it is] better to be at the POE than applying for a TD. A likely issue, even more so, definitely better to be at the POE than applying for a TD." Yes. Emphatically. But, again, I think it is worth much emphasis: it is not as if BSOs or CIC officers at overseas visa offices are in the business of making life difficult for legitimate PRs who genuinely live in Canada. Not at all.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Practically, for the PR who is indeed living permanently in Canada and who has traveled abroad briefly and who, for whatever reason, happens to be abroad without a currently valid PR card in possession, the inconvenience of applying for and obtaining a TD does not warrant any change in travel plans, particularly not if at a significant additional expense, to re-route their trip to go through the U.S. in order to approach Canada via a land crossing and thereby avoid applying for a TD.
In my case I planed the trip upfront through the US. But yes, when you find out, that you have a problem abroad, it could cause expensive travel changes to reroute via the US. But to obtain a TD also adds cost. You need to travel to the nearest Canadian Embassy, or send your passport and application to it. Processing times varied from 10 working days in Abu Dhabi to same Day processing in Berlin (if showing up in person). This delay could also cause additional travel expenses.

But yes I was confident to receive a TD and I was well above the 730 days safe in terms of RO.

At the end everyone needs to make his/her own decision. I just wanted to present my experience in selecting this option. So someone in need of a short notice travel, but without a valid PR card and PR card application pending, can consider this option.

Besides the simple reentry the trip via Seattle saved me ~$400 ! And went as smooth as could be.
recluce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recluce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 6:58pm

A new practical problem regarding traveling through the US to Canada with no valid PR card: lately, at least United Airlines has started to ask for proof of residency in Canada, if your ticketed journey ends in the USA. Technically, you need to provide evidence that you plan to leave the USA again within the period allowed by your visa or visa waiver, the most common evidence being an airline ticket out of the country. If you establish that you reside in Canada and intend to cross by land or sea border, that also will satisfy the airline (and US immigration) that you indeed plan to leave the USA again.

However, if your PR card is missing/expired, this might get sticky. The airline might deny transportation or you might get in trouble with US immigration. To avoid any problem, I recommend to buy a fully refundable one-way ticket from your final destination in the USA to any place in Canada, for a date after you drive back into Canada - and carry a printout of that ticket with you. Once you are back home, simply cancel the airline ticket for a full refund.

Please chime in with your experience with other air carriers or with US immigration.

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:14am
This only applies to reaching the POE via the US on land in your own vehicle. As soon as you use a commercial carrier (Airline, Bus, Train, ...) you need a valid PR card. This applies for travel via the US by commercial carriers too.
I cannot say, if every Airline is asking for that. In my case Lufthansa only checks the ESTA status (being allowed to enter the US). There is not really a "requirement" to have a return ticket, as long as you can make US immigration officer believe, that you will leave the US again.
I think the airline might ask this, but I think they cannot really deny transportation, as long as you have a valid ESTA clearance. US Immigration might ask a bit more questions.
In my case upon arrival in Seattle (on my way back to Vancouver) US immigration officer did not ask a lot. He was satisfied, that I am in transit for Vancouver. Actually on the way to Europe, I was facing way more questions and had to present the tickets and explain my plans. So I think on my return, the officer had this on his screen and did not question this any more. I personally do not think it is necessary to buy a dummy ticket. But that might depend on a persons situation. I am traveling to the US once or twice a year for short visits, and never had problems and so I think I might not pose a huge risk.
recluce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recluce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:39am

Originally posted by jogruni jogruni wrote:

I cannot say, if every Airline is asking for that. In my case Lufthansa only checks the ESTA status (being allowed to enter the US). There is not really a "requirement" to have a return ticket, as long as you can make US immigration officer believe, that you will leave the US again.

"Nationals of the 36 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program may use VWP if:

[...]

If arriving by air or sea, they are traveling on an approved carrier (See the approved carriers list) and have a return trip ticket to any foreign destination"

The above is quoted from the US State Departments web site on the visa waiver program, here is the link:   http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

In other words, there is such a requirement and any airline could refuse transport in the absence of such a ticket or other accepted evidence of onward journey - namely a Canadian PR card. And as mentioned: United's enforcement of this requirement is relatively new.

In any case, the refundable ticket to Canada is cheap insurance against this kind of trouble!

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:47am
Interesting! Thanks for this info.

Nevertheless I guess, as I started the trip from Canada, the whole thing was plausible for the US immigration. But yes, buying such a ticket, could eliminate the risk.

Traveling in North America is way more complicated than in Good Old Europe. I have to learn ... even though I think US/Canada should learn from more liberal European travel rules.
zanelawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zanelawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 6:55pm
As far as I know, PR card which is the Permanent Residence card is the one that certifies that you are living inside a country waiting to be an official citizen. While visa have certain time of stay depending on what kind of visa that you are holding.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic