Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laminated COPR (IMM 5292)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umlowcn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laminated COPR (IMM 5292)
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 1:40pm
Hi all,

I laminated my COPR (IMM 5292), will it cause a problem when I show it during the citizenship test / oath?

I called CIC office, the lady it depends on the immigration officer on the local office.

My test date is end of Feb 27, 2012. I won't have time to apply for a certified copy :S

Edited by umlowcn - 31 Jan 2012 at 3:51pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:03pm
I don't have a clue.

But please let us know how it goes.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
umlowcn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umlowcn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:00am
Did some search online and found this:

In Section 13.4:

Stamping the Immigration Record of Landing  
The stamp has been designed to fit all versions of the IMM 1000, including the small "landing 
cards" (these can be stamped on the back). The Record of Landing original or certified copy 
issued by QRC (not a photocopy or other reproduction) is stamped as applicants present 
themselves at the citizenship ceremony, immediately before taking the oath of citizenship. 
Stamping is done at all ceremonies, including special ceremonies and ceremonies held away 
from the local office.  

If an applicant presents an IMM 1000 that has been laminated or is otherwise impossible to 
stamp, make a note in FOSS of the condition of the document and the reason for not stamping it. 
If the document has been laminated, it must be perforated by punching a hole in the document. 

Since permanent residence status has been confirmed before the grant of citizenship, it is not 
necessary to have the applicant obtain a certified copy of the IMM 1000 for the sole purpose of 
stamping it at the ceremony.  
umlowcn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umlowcn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:05am
Also, found something in

Background 
The PR card was primarily designed to avoid the problem of fraudulent use associated with the 
IMM 1000. Accordingly, strict regulatory and procedural safeguards have been developed to 
protect its integrity. These include provisions governing the production, distribution and 
destruction of the PR card.

Persons who become permanent residents after June 28, 2002, are issued a PR card 
automatically, pursuant to subsection 31(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection 
Regulations, together with a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (IMM 5292). The 
IMM 5292 replaces the Immigration Record of Landing for purposes of demonstrating the 
historical fact of permanent residence, as well as containing personal information formerly 
captured on the IMM 1000, including immigration details of the person to whom it was issued. It 
assists that person in obtaining access to a variety of Canadian provincial and federal 
government programs and services. One of the main differences between the IMM 1000 and the 
IMM 5292 is that the holder’s copy of the IMM 5292 is preprinted with the notation "NOT VALID 
FOR TRAVEL/NON VALIDE POUR VOYAGER." There is, therefore, no requirement to update 
the information on the (status of the holder) of IMM 5292, when the holder becomes a citizen, 
since only the PR card can be used for travel.

It is important to note, however, that CIC will continue to update the Record of Landing of persons 
who received a PR card on the strength of their IMM 1000 by stamping the document, "The 
holder is no longer a permanent resident" at the time the holder becomes a Canadian citizen. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic