Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bringing my gf to Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginsengsamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bringing my gf to Canada
    Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:23pm
Hi...
I don't really know where to post my questions, because it's somewhat broad.  So please bare with my dim witted mind.  I have read through pages and pages and pages of Canadian Immigration and Visa info, applications, requirements but none of which really answers my questions directly. They're all kind of condition-based, but there are no "What if" answers.  So your help is greatly appreciated.

Background
I was born in Canada.  I work and live here in British Columbia as part of an IT development company.  I have a girlfriend of roughly 1.5 years who is not a Canadian citizen and she lives in Germany.  She has no problem coming over for 6 months as a tourist.

Goal
The goal is for her to eventually get her citizenship here in Canada. If she can live with me through extended stays, I can sponsor her as a common-law spouse after about a year. I don't know if this is how the common-law label works in Canada mind you.  Also, she will primarily be dependent on me.

Job Situation
She is 23 years of age this year and already has a part-time job in Germany as a non-skilled worker. I already read about the Work Permit and LMO, but those require a letter from a potential employer in Canada.

She wants to be able to find a job in Canada as a non-skilled worker, eg: waitress, filing, general office manager, etc.  However, she wants to be able to do that when she is actually here as a visitor.

The Dilemma
Now according to the Canadian Immigration and Visa pages, she can't really work in Canada until she gets a permit, but she can only get an LMO from a potential employer.  I am pretty sure that she won't be able to find a potential employer here in Canada who is not a professional company to write a letter to the govt for the LMO.  So what can we do?

Personal Ideas that might not work
I was thinking to bring her here as a visitor and live with me for about six months, then apply to extend her stay when five months has passed. During those months while she lives here with me, she can apply for a Work Permit.  If she is allowed a Work Permit, then she can look for a job and the potential employer can write a letter for the LMO.  If all that works out, then she can finally work in Canada and through her Work Permit and extended stay, I can eventually sponsor her to become a Canadian citizen as my common-law wife.

I don't want to marry her right now and sponsor her as my wife, due to personal and family reasons, but marriage will come eventually. Just not now.

Questions
1) With all that said, is that possible? Is that how it can work?  

2) OR, does she NEED to apply for her Work Permit and/or LMO BEFORE she comes over to Canada even as an unskilled worker?

-----

Anyway, this has been stressing me out.  It's so difficult trying to get my gf to be with me with all these obstacles between us.  All we want is to be together, live together and build on a future together. She doesn't need to work here in Canada, but it would make both our lives a lot easier if she can, because then she can help with the expenses between the two of us.

Thanks for your help.
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:54pm
She can come to Canada as a visitor for six months. You can then extend her visit visa for another six months so that you can qualify to sponsor her through common law.

Visitors are not allowed to work without changing their status to a different kind of visa. In order to work, she will first need to find an employer and that employer will have to apply for an LMO. Once the LMO is approved, she will then be able to apply for a work permit. In other words, she can't apply for a work permit until she has an approved LMO in hand. I think it will probably be difficult to obtain an LMO as an unskilled worker (although this doesn't mean she can't try). Also note that only her employer can apply for an LMO - this isn't something she can do.

She should also check out the International Experience Canada work visa. If she qualifies (sound like she should based on her age), this might be a very good way to go:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
ginsengsamurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginsengsamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:08pm
Thanks for the response Scylla. 

Can she apply for a Work Permit while inside Canada or will she need to go back to Germany to do that?
CristinaWilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristinaWilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 1:36am

Global Visas the World's Leading experts on all areas of Canadian Immigration. We provided FREE advice to over 1 million people last year alone on all Canada Immigration issues.

For more information visit: Canadian Immigration

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic