Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spousal visit visa during sponsorship period

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spousal visit visa during sponsorship period
    Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
Hi
   Please anyone can tell me that is it possible to get spousal visit
Visa after applying the sponsorship application from outside canada.
And when we can apply visit visa after receiving the approval
letter or before. Actually my husband is in canada and he have
citizenship and I am in Pakistan. From pakistan sponsorship period
is 26 month. Which is so long. My husband wants to call me on visit
visa but now he heard that it cannot possible. By law immigration
never give you visit visa. This makes us very disapointed and we
have no option to wait for two years or more.
If any body known about this please tell me.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 4:16pm
From what I've read, it will be extremely difficult for you to get a visitors' visa.

Other options for you would be a study permit (which would involve you being accepted to, and paying for a full-time course at a recognized school/university).  You need the acceptance letter from the school,  proof of payment, and proof of funding so that you can support yourself while in Canada -- all this before you apply for a study permit.  Note: if this is an option for you, you will likely have to declare that you have an ongoing sponsorship in progress, and you will also have to prove that you have full intentions of leaving the country once your study permit has expired (in other words, prove that you have ties to your home country that will neccesitate your return, having a return plane ticket, etc.).  You are permitted to have what is called "dual intent" -- meaning you have one intention (to immigrate) and another intention (to study).  You are, however, bound to the requirements of the study permit (i.e. if it expires, you extend it & continue with your schooling, or you leave the country).

Once here, you are obligated to live up to the study permit requirements.  Once the study permit is nearing expiry, you *might* be able to apply for an extension to the TRV (the temp. resident visa) on the grounds that you have an application in progress.  

There are several programs at the major Canadian universities that might be easier on the pocketbook than a full-on university regime.  I know there are ESL and FSL (English or French as a second language) programs that qualify for study permits. 

Anyhow - some of the other members will likely have better answers / options for you.  Mine are speculative, considering I am not 100% familiar with the liklihood of getting a TRV from Pakistan.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
m00n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 4:45pm
Thanyou so much for this breifly explanation. Now my mind is clear.
My husband heard this type of vist visa from his friends. Thanks again
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 7:36pm
Just so you're aware, with a study visa you also have to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and no plans to remain in Canada long term. One of the reasons why study permits are refused is because CIC suspects the application won't leave Canada at the end of their studies.

Having said that, you can certainly try to apply and see what happens. This is a more costly route that a TRV.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
boshetunmai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boshetunmai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:37pm
By Canadian law it IS possible to get a visitor visa or other type of TRV (work or study permit) while a sponsorship/PR application is in process. This is referred to as dual intent - an applicant can have long-term intent to immigrate and short-term intentions of visiting. However it's not easy. The main concern with dual intent applications is that if they approve your TRV, but your PR application is refused, that you will try to stay illegally in Canada on the TRV.

When applying for any TRV whether it be visitor, work, or study, you must still prove to the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your temporary visa. This means you must show strong ties to your home country such as family, job, property ownership, etc.

It doesn't hurt to try and apply. In the case your TRV is refused, order your CAIPS notes to get more detail about the refusal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic