Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent help needed for Citizenship Exam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aduzeyad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent help needed for Citizenship Exam
    Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:44pm

Hello Guys,

I am going to write the citizenship exam with my wife next week and I urgently need your help.

I traveled only 5 times since I came here to Canada as follow:

1- Home country (3 weeks before PR)
2- Italy then Home country (total 5 weeks after PR)
3- US by flight (5 days after PR)
4- US by car (6 days after PR)

5- Home Country (5 weeks after applying for citizenship)

This seems to be OK in 5 years staying in Canada (having same address and same job). HOWEVER, the problem is that my passport is missing 2 arrival stamps to Canada (trip 2 and trip 4) and one departure stamp from US (trip 4). What made me worry a lot about this might trigger an RQ is these points:

1- While the application was in Sydney, my wife had received a request for translating all passport pages that have stamps. At that time I submitted the translation for her passport (and mine as well)
2- My wife had lost the PR card. We reported that and signed a solemn declaration. Later we found her PR card and we reported that as well.
3- I have received a Finger Print request from CIC St Claire. I did it right away and received the notice to appear for writing the test 3 month later.

I thought my case should be very easy as we stay here as a family from day1; kids going to schools and I work and study. But I really worry so much about getting RQ because of these missing stamps and any of the other reasons I stated above.

I will really appreciate if one can answer these questions.

1- Is there any way to “quickly” get a printed record from Canada Border Services Agency?
2- Do you have any suggestion regarding documents or proofs (other than the required) that I may take with me to the exam?

I know that you might think I worry too much but I really would feel much better if anyone can help me before we go for the exam.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:04pm

aduzeyad1:

I am no expert and I am not, in particular, qualified to offer personal advice; my posts are about general principles with some discussion of particular details or factors that are important to how the general principles apply . . . but again that is about how they apply generally, not to any individual's case in particular.

Quote 1- Is there any way to “quickly” get a printed record from Canada Border Services Agency?

As much as I know about obtaining records is at the links I posted in the topic titled "I got RQ, what should I do next?"

Not sure what you mean by urgent. Even if an expedited process is available, it will still take some time. At one of the links I give in the other topic, there is general information and contact numbers for obtaining additional information.

Quote 2- Do you have any suggestion regarding documents or proofs (other than the required) that I may take with me to the exam?

The reports here vary widely as to whether or not there is even any opportunity to present additional information or documentation at the test. Some suggest that there may be something of an opportunity to do so. If you have tax assessments and a few documents illustrating employment and/or residence (rental agreement or purchase agreement for example), and you get an opportunity to present these, there are some hints (but I do not know with any degree of certainty) this may help. Carry originals and copies, and I would carry two copies so that you can leave one copy with officer (assuming the officer will accept documents; not sure they will) and mark your copy of that same document as one you presented on that date (keeping originals in original condition). Always keep your originals. Always note, one way or another, what copies were given.

Please let us know how the interview at the test goes. And, in particular, whether you do present additional documents at that time and whether or not copies were accepted.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:35pm

If you have copies of actual airline tickets showing return to Canada for dates that are not reflected in the passport stamps, they may help.

I should also note, though, that whether or not you get RQ because of these so-called missing stamps is probably a foregone conclusion . . . I discuss the relevant factors (as well as I know them, remembering again that I am no expert, just reporting what I have discerned which is probably far from the whole story) in the RQ discussions thread . . . but whether or not your particular circumstances will trigger RQ is something I suspect you will not be able to change at the time of the test interview . . . some documentation may help, if the direction things are going is RQ but I doubt it will really change their mind -- some documents may help in the sense that you get to send in a response to RQ that in turn results in your file being placed back into the file review process, which would be a very good thing since it would not entail the inherently long delay of being in the queue for a hearing with a Citizenship Judge.

It is also possible the risk of RQ for you is small. I do not know what your risk is, not by a long shot. (In particular, I do not really have a good idea of the extent to which so-called missing stamps is likely to result in RQ; again, I say pretty much all I know about that in the RQ discussions topic).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

aduzeyad1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aduzeyad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:59pm
Thank you dpenabill for the thorough responses.
I will take some document you suggested and for sure will let you know what will happen.

Edited by aduzeyad1 - 26 Jan 2012 at 12:01am
aduzeyad1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aduzeyad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:00am
Thank you dpenabill for the thorough responses.
I will take some document you suggested and for sure will let you know what will happen.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 1:28am
Also:
Be sure to have all stamps in foreign language in your travel documents translated with a certification of the translation.

aduzeyad1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aduzeyad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:09am
They asked us for the translated stamps earlier in the process and we have send the certified translation to Sydney before the file was transferred to St Clair. Should I do another certified translation and take it with me?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic