Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Study Permit Expired, what to do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickofdestiny89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study Permit Expired, what to do?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:24pm

Hello everyone,

I am in a situation that is a little complex, so bear with me for a second. I have been in Quebec since 2006 on my fathers work permit. Now my study permit and work permit(which is bound to the study permit), expired at the end of June 2011. The company where my dad works at did all our immigration stuff since I'm here and did so last year.

Now when they sent the application for my study permit, they forgot to renew my CAQ which expired the end of August. So then I got a Study Permit for only 9 Days just to stay in status and give me time to get the new CAQ. I received a call that they can only give me the study permit for 9 days and that I have to renew my CAQ. So the company told me to renew the CAQ on my own. Now I applied the first of September, right after I received my renewed Study Permit. Now because of communication problems with the office I am still waiting for that CAQ.

The biggest problem is that the company my father works for did not send another application for me after I received the renewed study permit. I just found out about this, which means I am not in implied status and have been here past the 90 day grace period.

So now I am trying to figure out what to do since I only have 1 semester of studies left and my whole family lives here (father, mother, sister) since 2006.

Can I still apply for restoration of my permit, including an explanation of why it is so late? 

A lawyer told me to apply outside Canada but I am not sure to what extend this would help. (The lawyer didn't seem to have much good information on my case, which is why I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on this).

Thank you!

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm
Hi

Originally posted by pickofdestiny89 pickofdestiny89 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am in a situation that is a little complex, so bear with me for a second. I have been in Quebec since 2006 on my fathers work permit. Now my study permit and work permit(which is bound to the study permit), expired at the end of June 2011. The company where my dad works at did all our immigration stuff since I'm here and did so last year.

Now when they sent the application for my study permit, they forgot to renew my CAQ which expired the end of August. So then I got a Study Permit for only 9 Days just to stay in status and give me time to get the new CAQ. I received a call that they can only give me the study permit for 9 days and that I have to renew my CAQ. So the company told me to renew the CAQ on my own. Now I applied the first of September, right after I received my renewed Study Permit. Now because of communication problems with the office I am still waiting for that CAQ.

The biggest problem is that the company my father works for did not send another application for me after I received the renewed study permit. I just found out about this, which means I am not in implied status and have been here past the 90 day grace period.So now I am trying to figure out what to do since I only have 1 semester of studies left and my whole family lives here (father, mother, sister) since 2006.

Can I still apply for restoration of my permit, including an explanation of why it is so late? 

A lawyer told me to apply outside Canada but I am not sure to what extend this would help. (The lawyer didn't seem to have much good information on my case, which is why I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on this).

Thank you!

The lawyer is correct. You are too late to apply for restoration, so your only chance is to apply to an office outside Canada.
PMM
pickofdestiny89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickofdestiny89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:46pm

Thank you for the fast response!

How would this be different as opposed to applying inside of Canada? Aren't the offices in contact with each other? 

Also, wouldn't it look really bad if they see that I was here past the the expiry date of the permit and then tried to apply through an office abroad?

What if my father (on whos work permit I came here initially) would send the application? Would this change anything?

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:22pm
Hi

Originally posted by pickofdestiny89 pickofdestiny89 wrote:

Thank you for the fast response!

How would this be different as opposed to applying inside of Canada? Aren't the offices in contact with each other? 

Also, wouldn't it look really bad if they see that I was here past the the expiry date of the permit and then tried to apply through an office abroad?

What if my father (on whos work permit I came here initially) would send the application? Would this change anything?

1. Yes, all the offices use the same data base and they will know you are out of status.
2. But if you want to continue to study, you have to either apply outside Canada and hope they give you a new study permit or leave Canada.
3. It is your application, not your father's
PMM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickofdestiny89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 2:07pm

First of all thank you for your help!

Now I received my new CAQ, but my school refused to give me an acceptance and said that I will have to re-apply for the next semester. Can I apply for just a visitor visa or a work permit now, or do I have to leave Canada?

Also, if I can apply for either of those, will the office in Berlin (I'm a German citizen so I have been told this is where I have to send the application if anything) actually process my request or does my place of residence have to be Germany?

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickofdestiny89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 12:17pm

Ok so after I talked to the office in Berlin I was told they can't help me and that I have to speak to the canadian office. Then I talked to CIC and was told, since my parents are both here and I am still a student I can just apply for a new visitor visa and it would be not a problem. 

The application was refused and the letter said I had to leave Canada immediately. I left 10 days later and at the airport I let an IO know that I was leaving. 

Now I obviously want to return to Canada, but how does the whole overstay affect me when I want to go back? Is there a time limit that I have to stay out of the country? 

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickofdestiny89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 1:00pm

Well I'm not sure why you copy and pasted some text that is found on a homepage for a university in South Africa. Ermm As this is a forum about Canada and my situation concerns Canadian immigration laws I don't how how this would in any way apply to me.

Please let me know if there is anything I'm not getting here... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickofdestiny89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:31am
What???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic