Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"In-Process" Indefinitely?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seldom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "In-Process" Indefinitely?!?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:54am
Dear Forumites, 

I applied for Canadian Citizenship on February 2011. Everything seemed to be going okay until my application moved to "in-process" on October 31st, 2011. Since then, it has been "in-process" and has not been transferred to the local office. When I called CIC to enquire, I was told it was at the "verification" stage (not sure what that means exactly, I assume "background checks"). 

I have a very common Muslim full name, and wonder whether that might have something to do with it. Needless to say, I am starting to worry that it might stay "in-process" indefinitely...ARGH!!!  I know that because of my name, I am stopped whenever I travel/ check-in for a few minutes everytime I fly within Canada for "background checks". I also applied for an American tourist visa last year (April 2011) and although it was not rejected, it has been undergoing background checks since that date with the FBI. 

My record is clean, yet I can't stop worrying that I will be one of those cases that will never make it to the end of the process because of those logistical hurdles....

Has anyone been through anything similar? 

Seldom
seldom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seldom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 5:07am
I should also add that I moved (changed cities) since applying in February 2011. Could that have anything to do with it? 

Any words of advice/ wisdom would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Seldom
seldom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seldom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:43am
Anyone please? :( 
chemgal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:51pm
2.5 months of being in process without transfer is not "indefinite". 

Look at past threads for sample time frames between "in-process" and transfer and you will see that anywhere from a few days to a few months (up to 9 months has been reported) is normal. I would suggest searching for a thread related to your local cic office (eg, scarborough or calgary etc) or looking at the thread for jan/feb 2011 and seeing what other people have reported for your local CIC office.

Take it easy for now.... 

Edited by chemgal - 14 Jan 2012 at 4:52pm
seldom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seldom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:33am
Thank you chemgal. I have looked at past threads, and it seems like the average time between in process and transfer is 1 month, with an absolute maximum of 1.5 months, thus my concern. All people from the Jan/ Feb 2011 thread also seem to have had their files transferred within that time frame. 

I called CIC to enquire, and as suspected, it seems like it's being held for background checks! So frustrating to have everything held for that: whether in Canada travel, to travel to the US, and now for Canadian Citizenship! I hope it doesn't take forever to clear!  
chemgal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
Seldom: Look at the nov/dec 2010 thread and you'll see a couple cases where it took 2-3 months. Also consider that christmas break was smack in the middle of your 2.5 month count. A 2-3 weeks delay from holidays should also be considered so I would give it another month at least before you start worrying.

Re call with call center agent: Thats what they always say when you are waiting between "in process" and transfer. But if you've read many many threads you will see that certain offices are backlogged and for those offices the time between in process and transfer is longer than other offices where it is relatively short like Calgary/edmonton etc.

P.S. my file has been in process for 1.5 months already and yet looking at transfer times for calgary office, mine should only have taken 1.5-2 weeks. It makes me anxious but not to the point that I am worried. If in 3-4 months I hear nothing then perhaps I will start to worry.

Even so, there is nothing you can do to speed your background checks up so worrying does you no good. Relax and take it easy, when its time....it will happen.

Edited by chemgal - 17 Jan 2012 at 1:46pm
Longprocess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longprocess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 9:29am
Good advise for Seldom. Chemgal, but one other thing, please also note that you file may have been transferred to your local office already.  CIC does not always update ecas right away, call centre agency do not always have the most up-to-date information.  This is especially so if the file is at the local office.  seldom what I can say is not to worry at this point, you have not been asked for fingerprints, if they were trying to identify whether you had a criminal record or not they would have asked you for finger prints.  Chemgal is right, it may just be a case of backlog at your local office, and the particular officce working on your file is going through a number of cases.  Your file is not outside of the normal processing time.  Sit tight for now, the wait will be over soon.
coco_jambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coco_jambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 9:18pm
Seldom, try clicking on the In Process link and read through everything that comes up in the next page. My application still shows In Process but on clicking the link, I found out the file has already been transferred.
grego23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grego23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 4:43pm
I applied before you (in January 2011), and my e-case is still only marked as received. Not even in process. 
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 11:27am
Don't worry, you're not the first. CIC deals with names from all religions in the same manner. If there is any issue, you will be asked to do fingerprints.....

Until then, just wait and prepare for the test. Focus on that for now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic