Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaving Canada after applying for citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flifca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:42pm
Hi Depandill

Please do you know if people can travel after submitting an RQ documents or not?

Cheers
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:05am
Yes they can travel. There is no prohibition. None at all.

Residing abroad, or working abroad . . . well, that's all been discussed in this and other topics at length. Again, there is no prohibition. And it cannot deduct from the residency calculation of days actually, physically present.

Someone reported that CIC suggested they not go to live abroad while waiting to see the Citizenship Judge. There are reasons for this. Again, I have discussed them at length above.

But ordinary travel abroad . . . not a problem (of course one needs proper, valid travel documents depending on the mode of travel and countries to be visited, but that has nothing to do with having a citizenship application pending).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sajc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sajc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:50pm

Edited by sajc - 04 Oct 2012 at 12:28pm
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:11am
Just use your common sense:
If I would be in your situation and I did not get RQ or have to go to a CJ hearing, I would wait for the oath invitation and do every possible effort to attend the oath. Unless the citizenship is not that important for you.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:14am
Depends.

Really, there are many, many factors in play.

Can you be sure to get notice of when you are scheduled for the oath and return in time? Postponements can raise questions, cause problems.

What likelihood of RQ is there for you? (A very, very difficult thing to assess for many.) If you get RQ, and you are living and working abroad, that is going to make it more difficult (not impossible though) to reach a successful conclusion.

Bottom-line: if they schedule you for the oath and send you notice and you show up for the oath when scheduled, odds are very, very high all will go well. That, though, entails some relatively big IFs.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

sajc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sajc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:14am
true but this is my only job offer I have till date and I am graduating this sept...so kinda fixed!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:18am
I agree with jogruni, yeah, personally I would wait . . . but I am older, no inclination to seek work outside Canada, firmly committed to spending most of the rest of my life in Canada, and being a citizen of Canada is important to me, a very, very high priority in fact. So what I would do personally is, well, what I would do, which does not necessarily say all that much about what someone else should do.

sajc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sajc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:21am

Edited by sajc - 04 Oct 2012 at 12:28pm
sajc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sajc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:25am
I have no inclination to work outside Canada too.. I would love to stay here.. but the job market is down...well still trying to get something here...but if not.. just checking what are my options!!
eli View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:55am
if you had the test already, my guess is it is no problem to leave. They do not check your passports again. And RQ, 90% of the time is given before or during the test. Just make sure to have your mails forwarded to you somehow.  

You may get the oath notice before you leave, or in 2012. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
  Share Topic