Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel a month before PR Card expiry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel a month before PR Card expiry
    Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 4:21pm
Hi,

Request information please.

My PR Card expires on 21 Jan 2012 and I am scheduled to pick up the next one on 3rd Feb 2012 from CIC office.

Now I have a travel booked outside canada between 8 Jan 2012 & retruning back on 12th Jan 2012.

My question is , when I try to return to Canada on 12 Jan 2012 , though my PR would still be valid, would I face in problem entering as few days would be left before expiry?

Regards
Sutanu
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 4:29pm
Short answer: should be no problem.

Longer answer:
So long as you have been in compliance with the PR residency obligation there should be no problem. And, particularly, if you have been living in Canada, especially if you have been working or going to school in Canada, for well over two years during the past five years, there should be no problem. The more you have been in Canada the less likely you will even be asked about compliance with the residency obligation.

Similarly, if you are traveling on a return trip ticket, that too will reduce whatever risk of being even questioned about residency there might be.

If, though, you have barely met the Residency Obligation, say, for example, that you have been outside Canada for more than 800 or 900 days during the previous five years, you might want to carry some documentation with you to show how much time you have actually been in Canada and to show the extent of your ties in Canada.

But, generally, no, no problem; in particular: if you have a valid PR card and there is no reason for a POE officer to suspect a residency obligation breach, there should be no problem.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 4:36pm
Additional note:

Please let us know how it goes. Especially if there is a problem. Reports of personal experience help the site be more informative . . . and especially, for example, if indeed someone in your situation runs into an intrusive inquiry regarding residency or even the issuance of a removal order (for appearing to be breach of the residency obligation), that is of course important information it would be helpful for others to know.

Repeating myself, to be clear, I do not think you will have any such problems.

By the way, just to be clear, you should be allowed to enter Canada regardless, even if there was a problem with the residency obligation. Even if a removal order is issued, a PR is entitled to entry . . . and of course if that were to happen you need to appeal the removal order. But again, the prospect of that is remote unless you have been outside Canada more than 1095 days out of the last 1825 days (as of the day you are returning to Canada), or are cutting that close.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic