Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: citizenship
    Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:42am

I received my PR card in 2007 jan... but I hv been living in the USA with my husband after since. My PR expires in2012 JAn. I am eligible to apply for the citizenship, that I know..but the big question is:

1. Should I come to canada & apply for the citizenship or should I wait?
2. Regardless of all,lets say, If I apply for the citizenship, will the judge find out? And how ??

plzz guide!!!!!
koko
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:56am
Check www.cic.gc.ca for details on applying for Citizenship.

edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:10am
Originally posted by koko koko wrote:

I received my PR card in 2007 jan... but I hv been living in the USA with my husband after since. My PR expires in2012 JAn. I am eligible to apply for the citizenship, that I know..but the big question is:

2. Regardless of all,lets say, If I apply for the citizenship, will the judge find out? And how ??

plzz guide!!!!!

As per Citizenship Act, you should have 1095 days of PHYSICAL presence in Canada in the last 4 years before your application for citizenship, furthermore, you could loose your PR status if you don't have 2 years of physical presence in Canada out of 5 years (since you received your PR status).
Accordingly, as an answer to your 1st question, you are not eligible to apply for citizenship.
Second, CIC will find out based on the Residence Questionnaire tool, after checking your travel history during your PR status. (my own opinion)

Edited by edmotonresident - 21 Jan 2010 at 1:13am
"Canada, where good people live"
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by koko koko wrote:

plzz guide!!!!!

Is your husband a Canadian Citizen?
blackpearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackpearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:49am
How are you eligible for Canadian citizenship if you have been living in USA since you landed?
You need 1095 days physical residency in Canada to be eligible for citizenship.

If you are living in US with your husband, you may risk losing PR status, if your husband is not Canadian citizen.

Also, you have to apply for citizenship from within Canada. 

You will have to provide proof that you have been living in Canada. This is done by showing your current and old passports. If the judge is not satisfied, you will be asked to provide further proof, such as employment in Canada, valid Canadian health card and driver's licence, T4s, and so on.
koko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:02pm
yes, my husband is a canadian citizen. I do have a health card but it is expired, which i will certainly get renewed. Also, I do have a drivers license & a SIN card.

What are my chances?
Any hope!!!!

koko
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:21pm
If your husband is a Canadian citizen then your PR status is safe.

However as others have said, you have to spend 1095 days physically in Canada to qualify for citizenship. The time you have spent with your husband outside of Canada does not count towards this total.
koko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:43pm
thank u for ur prompt reply!
koko
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by scylla scylla wrote:

If your husband is a Canadian citizen then your PR status is safe.

However as others have said, you have to spend 1095 days physically in Canada to qualify for citizenship. The time you have spent with your husband outside of Canada does not count towards this total.

There's an exception here...
If her husband works for a canadian employer and sent to work in USA, then she is already counting the residency time.

"Canada, where good people live"
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 11:46pm
Not for citizenship....just for PR.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic