Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Additional Family info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Additional Family info
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 7:11pm
When the family members are named on this form it asks for sons and daughters including step sons and daughters.
What would the sons and daughters of the sponsor come under in regards to their relationship to the applicant?
Does being common-law make them step children as it would if you were married or are they just considered children of the sponsor.
It is kind of a strange question, but my fiance's children I consider as my own although we are not married, I am just not sure how CIC would legally recognise them?
In short, in a common-law relationship, do they go on the form or not?
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
gggomez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:34am
I had the exact same question when I was doing our application and I phoned the call centre a couple of time just to make sure I was answering this question right. They told me to state that my daughter even though she has not interacted or even met my husband was considered a step child. They also said that it didn't matter the age of the child even if I was 100 and my child was 70 its still a step child. Also my husband just received his medical request and an additional family form to fill out, I am not sure why he got either of them since he has not even had his interview yet.
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:39am
Interviews are not compulssary, he might not need one at all.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:09am
Foremost, the additional family information form is informational only, and does not include anything that directly affects qualification for PR.

. . . so leaning toward disclosure is usually the better policy, and disclosure with explanation if you are not entirely comfortable with how you choose to answer the questions. In other words, there is absolutely nothing to lose by listing your partner's children as your step-children. But there is probably no penalty or problem, either, if you fail to list them as your step-children.

Personally, especially since you have a parental relationship with them, I would.

Notes/commentary re additional family info generally:
This really is simply for informational purposes, which, I believe, is primarily to assist CIC in positively identifying the applicant (which is actually, I think, the largest concern and focus of the examination process, which may seem odd to many but the use of false identities is probably the most prevalent and problematic issue in immigration fraud, so a lot of what the examiners do is geared to positively identify persons seeking permanent status in Canada), but of course it also provides a lot of contextual information against which the rest of the information provided can be weighed (allowing, though none of us know for sure, that the security check process may use this information to facilitate the background/security check). But it is only informational, not material to qualification.

Notes/commentary re step relation issue generally:
There are indeed many nuances to "step" relations, yours being just one among many, and since I too had a question (well, actually in my situation, several questions) about who had to be identified as a step relation I did quite a lot of research (just about two years ago) into this, with very little concrete results (and I do legal research for a living,, been doing so for several decades, so I have a pretty good idea about how to do it).

Who is considered to be in a "step" relation often depends on why the question is asked, which area of law the question arises in. For immigration purposes, I found nothing to clarify what they mean by "step" relations. It will also vary depending on the jurisdiction one is in (that is, what country, or state, or province). And there are many, many permutations of who might be a "step" relation given the tangled nature of relationships these days. Bottom line: except in the area of criminal law (since there are specific criminal offenses for which a step relation is material, and in the criminal law area things like this tend to be more precisely defined, but in that area the definition of a step relation is fairly narrow), there does not seem to be any precise definition for who is a step relation.

The obvious concern for some people arises from having a step-relation who has serious legal, especially criminal problems, thus raising the fear that mere association with them could cause more intensive scrutiny, and result in delays.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:32am
re the post by gggomez and reference to receiving an "additional family form" . . .

I do not know what that is about.

The additional family information form is to be completed and filed up front, together with all the other required forms and supporting documentation. There should be no need for it to be later requested.

I have seen many reports of people being asked to resubmit the form but all of those, as best I could discern, was because they had failed to properly fill out the form, most having filled out the form referring to dependents only, failing to include other family members (failure to name one's spouse or partner seeming to be the most common, and a failure to name parents the second most common) due to some confusion with "additional family members" to be listed in IMM 0008 (generic).

Re the answer given to gggomez by CIC -- that is what I would call the "inclusive" version of who a step-relation is, but I doubt anyone who has failed to respond that way has been penalized for that. I did list my wife's adult children, with whom I have never lived or otherwise shared a household (many versions of who is in a "step" relation, for various purposes, depends on having lived in the same household in addition to the "affinity" through which the relationship exists) even though there is no suggestion of a step-parent/step-child relationship between us; I doubt a failure to name them as step children would have caused any delay in my obtaining PR status . . . but of course I lean toward the inclusion of any such information.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic