Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

landing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassanswife68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: landing
    Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 6:16pm
I have a question about my husband travelling from Morocco to Canada. Doe he have to travel straight from morocco to canada or can he make a connecting flight in Paris france to ontario? Any help would be appreciated.
    tb
shinken_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinken_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 6:23pm
hassan could walk or swim if he wanted too.  just get to the port of entry with the landing docs (COPR, Visa, etc.)
rcvd xx jun 09; proc xx mar 10; tran xx apr 10; test xx nov 10; oath xx nov 10 (same day as test)
hassanswife68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassanswife68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 6:25pm
ok ty for the info greatly appreciated.
  tbSmile
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 2:14am
As a general proposition, sure, if the Foreign National who is in possession of a valid PR visa can get his or her body to a Canadian POE, they can land, and how it is that they got there is generally their own business. Canada does not care. (Well, if they hijacked a plane, no . . . )

That said, however, even though a person is just in transit through an airport, many countries do not allow this unless the person has authorization (usually a transit visa of some sort, at the least, unless some sort of visa-exemption applies) to enter the country, even though, again, they have no intention of entering but rather just passing through.

For example, if the plane was scheduled to stop in the U.S., a transit visa would be necessary. The problem is not what would happen when the plane landed in the U.S. The problem is that without a proper visa or transit visa the individual would not be allowed to board the plane even.

If there is no problem for a citizen of Morocco to fly through Paris, there is, indeed, no reason to not take that route. But I have no idea what is required of a citizen of Morocco to transit through France (or any other country).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassanswife68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 8:45am
thanks depenabill I appreciate your input.I think better go straight to montreal then ontario.
  tb
drc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 10:45am
Funny, I was wondering why you thought that your husband may have needed to travel directly to Canada, rather than transit somewhere on the way.

You may have heard about a very old policy that Canada had, which was known as Continuous journey. Not one of the finest moments of Canada's history. In fact it was an explicltly racist policy. You see, in the past Canada was obliged to allow citizens of the British Empire to enter the country, but it did not particularly desire certain people to have that privilege (i.e. people from the subcontinent). So they created this "continuous journey" canard. The low point of this policy was the infamous Komagata Maru incident. You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_journey_regulation

Edited by drc - 26 Nov 2011 at 10:46am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassanswife68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 12:42pm
thanks for the info and reference as it helped a lot
my sis and her husband told me this but i was not sure thats y i asked.better safe then sorrySmile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic