Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Info on PR card status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Info on PR card status
    Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 11:53am
Hello Everyone,

Myself and my husband got PR card on Sept 2010 however we were having some serious problem in our relation so I decided to visit my parents (India) to get some relief from him hence currently I am in India from Aug 2011 till now. Now my husband and his mom wants divorce from me and saying not to think to come back to Canada otherwise he is going to spoil my record in Canada.Cry

Since 3 months I am staying in India, I have couple of questions in my mind regarding my PR status

1. Can I return to Canada without my husband or after divorce

2. How many months can I live outside of canada so that I wont loose my PR status

I would be really Thankful for answering my questions Smile

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:24pm
Hi

Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

Hello Everyone,Myself and my husband got PR card on Sept 2010 however we were having some serious problem in our relation so I decided to visit my parents (India) to get some relief from him hence currently I am in India from Aug 2011 till now. Now my husband and his mom wants divorce from me and saying not to think to come back to Canada otherwise he is going to spoil my record in Canada.CrySince 3 months I am staying in India, I have couple of questions in my mind regarding my PR status1. Can I return to Canada without my husband or after divorce   2. How many months can I live outside of canada so that I wont loose my PR status I would be really Thankful for answering my questions Smile

1. Yes, as long as you meet the residency requirements of 2 years in every 5 year period.
2. There is nothing your husband can do about your PR status.
PMM
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:40pm
Thanks PMM!!! Could you please explain to me more clearly about residency requirement.
I mean, Out of 5 yrs,  Can I stay outside of Canada till 2 yrs? and how many yrs do I need to stay in Canada to get the Citizenship after receiving PR status?

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 4:38pm
Hi

Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

Thanks PMM!!! Could you please explain to me more clearly about residency requirement.I mean, Out of 5 yrs,  Can I stay outside of Canada till 2 yrs? and how many yrs do I need to stay in Canada to get the Citizenship after receiving PR status? 

1. If you landed in Sept/2010 you must reside in Canada for 730 days between then and Sept/2015 to maintain your PR status.
2. To apply for citizenship you have to reside in Canada for 3 years in the 4 years prior to the date of your application.
PMM
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:09am
Thanks for your reply!!!!

Aerial
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic