Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Unfulfilled Residency Obligation, New Spousal App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unfulfilled Residency Obligation, New Spousal App

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olu-60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unfulfilled Residency Obligation, New Spousal App
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:22am

Hi All...

Thanks for this brilliant and invaluable resource website. I know there has been countless and repetitive postings re Residency Obligation fulfilment and I have trolled through a lot of the postings and gathered a lot of valuable info but the reason I am posting again is I can't find something that deals with my specifics, hence......

I am a British citizen and I have been living in the UK for 20+ years to date. I landed in Canada in 2001, unfortunately I did not fulfil the RO due to personal issues running up to 2006; the PR Card was introduced at some point during this period. After about a year of stating my case with the Canadian High Commission I was given another opportunity and issued a re-entry permit so I could travel to Canada to apply for my PR card and restart a fresh 5year period, this PR Card and 5 year period just expired in Oct 2011, guess what?…….errr…….don’t kick me Ermm, I did not fulfil the RO again. I have read a lot on the fact that until it is revoked you are still technically a resident. I am in the UK now and last left Canada 2years ago and have never filled taxes in Canada since landing in 2001.

I now want to get married genuinely to a Canadian citizen and move back to Canada by the end of this year to settle finally, she has been the one visiting me in the UK for now as we are not sure how to go about things and not ruffle too many feathers 

1.      1. Do I get my recidency revoked and get my partner to set out a new spousal application?

2.       2. Is there an easier route if I am still technically a resident for the spousal application to be put through?

3.       3. Any good ideas will do, especially knowing I have pushed them to the limit twice Ouch

Thanks

Kind Regards
Olu-60
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:55am
hmmmmmmmm

Oh well. There are many options. As someone from a visa-exempt country, it may be possible for you to simply come to Canada and stay long enough to be in compliance with the RO and then apply for a new PR card. No guarantees.

No guarantees in particular as, upon arriving in Canada, you may be referred to secondary and examined regarding the RO and not much point in fighting it, you could have a removal order issued and stipulate to not filing an appeal, or otherwise surrender your status to the procedure that would allow you to enter Canada as a visitor. If you do this, then yes, your partner may sponsor you . . . but of course, in this your sponsor must be eligible to sponsor and you must otherwise meet the requirements all over again.

If you married and lived together outside Canada for at least 730 days, most interpretations of the "accompanying" a Canadian citizen provision would mean that you were then in compliance with the RO and would be entitled to renew the PR card (although you would have to physically come to Canada to do that). However, a recent IAD decision explicitly rejected this interpretation of "accompanying." (Though my recall is that the Federal Court cases are not at all ambiguous about this and that case was, in what I perceive, to be in error and if review is sought in the Federal Court a different result should be forthcoming.)

If you have a SIN for Canada, if you manage to arrive without being issued a removal order or surrendering status, you are good to stay and work. You do not need a valid PR card in possession to stay (though you may need one to obtain Health care coverage). I'd suspect the odds are fair to good that you could simply come to Canada in a manner (on a round trip ticket perhaps; flying to States and driving into Canada) that does not make it look like you are moving to Canada or intending to live in Canada, and not offering that you are a PR, that you would be allowed to enter and then, again, you would be allowed to stay.

Tthe amount more you'd pay for a round trip ticket that you use only one way is not a significant sum compared to the inconvenience and cost of having to go through the immigration process again. Additionally this approach would not facilitate bringing much of your stuff to Canada, least not for the near future . . . though you could arrange to have things shipped later. Caution: do not, however, make any misrepresentations upon seeking entry into Canada. Answer questions put to you honestly, without evasion. You do not need to volunteer much at all, but you do need to truly answer the question and truthfully answer the question (there is a difference, and you do need to do both). So, if they ask questions that might or will lead to a problem about your PR status, that's the breaks, accept it, be honest, and deal with it.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Olu-60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olu-60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:35am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

hmmmmmmmm

No guarantees in particular as, upon arriving in Canada, you may be referred to secondary and examined regarding the RO and not much point in fighting it, you could have a removal order issued and stipulate to not filing an appeal, or otherwise surrender your status to the procedure that would allow you to enter Canada as a visitor. If you do this, then yes, your partner may sponsor you . . . but of course, in this your sponsor must be eligible to sponsor and you must otherwise meet the requirements all over again.

Hi Dpenabill...

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply, the word of caution is also duly noted. Looking at all, a lot points to coming in without RO issues for it to be viable, that I'd say, is walking a fine line Cry 

I believe my partner is eligible to sponsor me, my question based on the quote above is "Are the requirements the same as applying again as a skilled worker, assuming we consummate the union by way of marriage here in the UK or there in Canada if I surrender the status and get to enter as a visitor?" i.e not applying as a common law partner but MARRIED, will this make application process easier...?

Thanks...
Kind Regards
Olu-60
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 2:47am
Common-law should be no more difficult than it is for a married couple, assuming there is solid proof of actually, physically living together as a conjugal couple for at least a full year, and, actually, because of the living together part, in many ways it can be easier.

Sponsored PR is a lot easier, and faster, than skilled worker. No comparison.

Previous status should have little bearing. Of course you have to disclose it, would want to disclose it, and it is part of who you are and your history, but for purposes of sponsored partner PR it should be essentially irrelevant: the only question is whether or not the relationship is genuine (must be of course) and whether or not it was entered into for the purpose of obtaining status (if so, not a qualifying relationship; by the way, this is what the IAD panel should have focused on in the case I referred to in which they ruled that the PR who was living with a Canadian citizen partner was not "accompanying" their partner and so their time together living abroad did not count toward the PR RO . . . the focus should have been on the genuineness of the relationship or whether it was entered into so that this person could save status, but . . . oh well).

Back to the married v. common-law:
Being married makes proof that the qualifying relationship exists easier for many whose life together in a common-law relationship lacked formality and lacks the factual indicators like joint bills and so on . . . but the married couple still must prove it is genuine, and a couple who has lived together for a full year has better proof of that.

Depending on finances, you could decide to simply take a holiday in Canada, two weeks, three weeks, and see how the trip goes. If you were going to do the spousal sponsor route, you need to get the adjudication of status done sooner or later anyway. You can accomplish that by either applying for a Travel Document (and when it is refused, do not appeal, and it becomes a final adjudication of status, returning you to the status of a Foreign National just like any other FN carrying the same national passport as you do) or by, as I say, coming to Canada on a holiday and seeing how it goes . . . and if not well, get the losing of status part done . . . but if it goes OK, perhaps plan to return soon to live.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Olu-60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olu-60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:01am
Hi DP...

Most grateful for this insightful replies, I have taken all onboard and will act on a more revealing and defined path as see how things pan out, updates will be given as at when necessary to help a few people who may have similar situations or to augment your experience as well, many thanks once again...

Olu-60
Kind Regards
Olu-60
Olu-60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olu-60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 3:56pm
Hi Dpenabill,

I have decided after careful consideration to go the route of "surrendering status" at a POE (YYZ) and come in as a visitor....hopefully we get married in Canada or England within 3 months and take things from there...(Quick Reminder: Fiancée lives in Canada)

Questions:
1. I hope after I decide to give up PR status at point of entry, it is a straight forward process to be admitted into Canada especially if I mention I am visiting my Fiancée?
2. Will surrendering my PR status mean closing of my existing banks accounts, cancelling my credit card etc? as I can imagine all is linked to the SIN and that may (not sure) be cancelled when status surrendered!

Kind Regards
Olu-60
Kind Regards
Olu-60
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 2:02am
I have some ideas, but, really, the question about surrendering your PR status should probably be discussed with a lawyer. I do not know how straight forward that is for someone in your situation. And visiting in order to marry, say, or to be with a committed partner, well, like I said, I suggest talking to an immigration lawyer (not a consultant) about this.

I do not know about the SIN card. I don't think that is affected.

I had bank accounts and credit cards and credit lines in Canada for many years as a visitor, so I do not see any issue with those.

These days they are far more particular about status when first opening an account than they were more than a decade ago; once an account exists I don't think it matters . . . I was in my bank recently sitting down for some counseling and the person handling my accounts was surprised that I was a permanent resident (I had been a seasonal/occasional resident for many, many years) and even as of today they do not have my SIN number.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic