Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The neverending story with cic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The neverending story with cic
    Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 7:55pm
Applied for citizenship Oct 2010.
AOR April 2011.
Moved to a new address in July 2011. CIC updated by phone, mail and ecas. Address updated in july 2011.
Sep 3, 2011 - file transferred to Ottawa (old address!!!)
Sep 15, 2011 - Called cic to inquire why... they said it could be a mistake so message sent to ottawa to move my file to Thunder Bay.
Sep 23, 2011 - Mail from Ottawa office to write my exam in Ottawa!!!! on Oct 6...
Oct 6, exam done.
Oct 19 - File transferred to HULL/GATINEAU!!!!!

I don't know what they're doing with my file!! It's getting ridiculous. Am I dealing with amateurs??
aussiepete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiepete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:36pm
I don't know what you are all upset about. Your time line is much faster then lots of other people. It took me more then 2 years to get where you have in 1.
JoeSomebody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeSomebody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 1:40am
aussipete: maybe if you actually read what jojo wrote you understand why he/she is upset about. I think the problem is with the transfer of the file not the timeline itself   
Montreal Sent:July7,2010 | Received:July12 | Ecas:Nov4 | Letter:Nov24 | Process:March11 |Transfer:May9 | Test:Sept9 | Oath:Nov22
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 4:12am
Ottawa is a long way to go to take the test, and it is just as long to get to Gatineau from Thunder Bay.

That said, Thunder Bay may have, maybe, two citizenship ceremonies a year.

Ottawa sometimes has two ceremonies in one day (next week for example).

As I say, bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. Throw a curve at them, what comes back is sometimes not easy to grasp. Changing addresses is one thing. That is a curve enough. Changing addresses to Thunder Bay, that's a curve into the dirt. That's along the lines of changing address to where??? TF (A great place to live, I'd answer, having affection for a sleeping giant, and lots and lots of bush country, myself, but only so long as one does not work the night shift at robbery central, otherwise known as Mac's.)

But, yeah, changing your address to Thunder Bay in the middle of things was not going to go well. Life happens, sure, and one has to go with how life goes, so it is what it is. I know of a nice B&B just up the road from Hull, near a good place to get down with some live music Black Sheep pub style, if another trip that way is soon in the works. Or you might wait until the next oath ceremony in Thunder Bay, perhaps in April or May, maybe not until the July 1st celebrations.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 10:23pm
OMG,
cic website states that my file has been transferred to Thunder Bay.... My exam was done in Ottawa though. Now is Ottawa going to send my results to TBay and have the ceremony there?
Searching ceremony dates in TBay has led to NOTHING...
What's next? I guess they'll transfer it to zimbabwe
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:47am
Is there an official website that says how many times TBays celebrates each year? When I punch TBay on the cic website, it says never but when I go to google.ca, it says the last one was June 2011. Is there another ceremony in November or December? Any thoughts?
I guess it was a huge mistake to transfer to TBay....
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 6:17am
I do not have much to offer in practical terms, except, perhaps, now it is time to be patient and adapt to how it goes.

When things go off the rails, well, yeah, they are off the rails.

Not sure what you could have done differently. If you move you move. Not likely you moved to NWO frivolously. (One might say I did, but most know that, yeah, there was a woman to blame. But generally people do not end up in this lakehead refuge among the trees unless circumstances in life compell them.)

When you got the notice for the test you could have just arranged to show up then and do the test, in Ottawa (which is what you ended up doing anyway). But not everyone can do something like that, just drop everything and travel over a thousand km to attend the test and interview. Some of us could. That's what I would have done. But I realize that that is asking too much from many, from most even. And I would have sat tight with that, since I know Ottawa is likely to have many oath ceremonies throughout the year, whereas Thunder Bay . . . another participant here talks about a second ceremony in the fall, but for years now I have only noticed the news reports about the one that takes place early in the year, sometimes around Canada Day, lately a month or so earlier than that (I thought the one this year was even earlier but my recall is less than reliable these days).

But, again, yeah, that is a long trip to take. As I said, if in a similar position I would. Any excuse to travel. A good excuse to stay, as I suggested, up the highway a ways and schedule in an evening's entertainment at the Black Sheep Inn. But I dictate my schedule (well, I do have deadlines which do tend to kill me, but that's part of the deal I've made with the devil).

Now it is what it is, where it is, and you are in an unfortunate ethereal realm, an unknown place in many respects, few if any landmarks by which to discern your bearings. Not much to do, really, but be patient and see what unfolds.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 7:15am
Thanks dpenabill,
I would have sat tight on the Ottawa business since I know it's faster but the reason why I called in Sep to switch to TBay is because I didn't want my file to be sitting in Ottawa and once they open it and realize I live in NWO they will transfer it to TBay and start from square one. I wanted things to move forward by shortening the time my file stays in Ottawa because I didn't believe you can do the test and the ceremony in a place different from your home town. I was told that the exam will contain a question or 2 about your local MP or whatever so I thought the rules are that examiners have to do it in their districts otherwise how would they answer that question. I guess overthinking is as bad as being dumb sometimes... they both lead to the same end. Still have 45 minutes before the cic opens. I'm gonna be the first caller trust me.. lol
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 9:37am
call cannot be transferred. Please note our least busiest days are thursdays and fridays... How can you be so busy on the least busiest day and the least busiest hour of the day??
mmmmm...
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:16pm
Alright... this is ridiculous.
Here's what happened.
Ottawa has decided, based on my request (which was the dumbest thing I've done in my life, so far), to transfer my file to Thunder Bay.
So now, my file is in Thunder Bay - the slowest centre in Canada. In fact, they don't have ceremony dates for the Thunder Bay office simply because Thunder bay requested that. It seems that they don't have enough candidates (immigrants wanting to live in the bush) to preschedule ceremony dates!! So my ceremony, instead of being next week in Ottawa, is going to be next summer in Thunder Bay... Isn't that sweet? I feel great now that I have to wait longer. Sometimes I wish I was dumber than that.... Dumb and lucky is much better than smart and unlucky..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic