Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confused about Additional Family Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused about Additional Family Information
    Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 5:16pm
IMM5406 has me confused a bit. I know it asks for Applicant (me), Spouse (my husband) and mother and father. My instinct is that that is MY mother and father -- is that correct? I've seen elsewhere that children who are applying should put us there, but we don't have any children. Is it still required to list my parents, even though they have no interest in coming to Canada other than to visit? If so, do they also have to fill out a form, as noted in the guide, where it says, "You and each of your family members 18 years of age or over, whether accompanying you to Canada or not, must complete their own copy of this form" ? I know in other forms it says that "family members" only refers to me, my spouse, and children, but it confused me when "mother" and "father" were asked for in this form.

Similarly, does my husband (Canadian citizen and my sponsor) need to fill out a copy of the form as well, with the same reasoning?

I hope I haven't missed something obvious here, but I don't want to make a glaring mistake simply due to confusion.
dealic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 6:58pm
On this form, and nowhere else, do you need to list your parents (and siblings if you have any). You need to do this even if they never have any intentions of coming to Canada. They don't need to fill out any forms. Just include their names, birth dates, addresses, etc on that form. That's all you need.

Your sponsor does not need to fill out a copy of the form.
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm
This is why the application is divided into 3 packs, Applicant and region specific forms are for the applicant not the sponsor, this form comes with the applicant part of the application.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:24pm
BMonk...I understand your confusion. They are not completely clear on the difference in definition of family between the two forms IMM0008 and IMM5406. I just went through making mistakes on it myself and got advice from this forum that led me to email the visa office notifying them of my mistakes (we had already mailed our applications). They told me just to wait until they look at it and they would send it back if they felt it was necessary, which, of course it was and they did.

As Dealic mentioned, it is on this and no other form, that you (the applicant) list what family members you have, your parents, your siblings, your children etc. It is here that the definition of family includes all your immediate family and not just the couple (and their children).

It can be confusing, especially if you were going by the definition of family in IMM0008. Having read that, when an applicant gets to IMM5406 they can start wondering, "Does the definition of family here differ from the definition they gave before? Does that same definition apply here? Where is the definition of family for IMM5406?"

When in doubt, you can call CIC as well. Or email them if you are outside of Canada.
Peachy
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:44pm
peachy871...did they send it back to you to fill out the additional family information form, or did each member of your family 18yrs and over have to fill out their own??
" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
BMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 12:35am
Thank you for the quick answers! That tells me all I need, everyone. There's gotta be a better term than "family member"!
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 4:53am
Originally posted by SWEETG SWEETG wrote:

peachy871...did they send it back to you to fill out the additional family information form, or did each member of your family 18yrs and over have to fill out their own??

OH.    MY.   GOD.

I feel faint. I just looked at the instructions on IMM3999. And there it was, on page 12. But that does not make any sense. It makes sense to declare them but it doesn't make sense for his siblings and aging mother to fill it out too.

And to answer the question, they sent back the one form my partner had originally filled out because of a couple of errors on it. We printed a new one, made sure all the info was correct then sent both the first one and the second one back with a letter. They didn't say anything about each family member listed on it filling out ones themselves. I am sure they would have if it was required.

Anybody else know for sure?? or have called CIC about it? (for those of us who are outland, we cannot call CIC. We can email but it takes forever and a day to hear back...at least from my visa office)
Peachy
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:22am
I am very confident that this refers to only persons identified in IMM 0008 (generic) as applicant or dependent over the age of 18 (including non-accompanying dependents), as who must complete their own forms, and not "family members" identified in the IMM 5406 form itself but not included (as, essentially, persons to be examined) in IMM 0008 (generic).

That is, same persons as who must personally complete their own copy of the Background Declaration (IMM 0008 Schedule 1). Same persons who must undergo the medical exam.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:23am
I know its like written in 1 isolated page that everyone has to fill it out....makes no sense...when they they send it back to you? and when did you return it?
" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:32am
Thanks dpenabill...that logic was floating somewhere around my head but I just couldn't retrieve it. I am glad you were able to put that into better words than me saying, "But that does not make any sense." LOL

Sweetg...I do see the sense in it...was just confusing for me as I had IMM0008 on the brain and there was nothing that changed that frame of mind (other than the instructions that said "You must answer all questions") that this really was different in its definition of family. But that is what forums like this are good for!! (Are you applying from within Canada? You can always give CIC a call when you have a question, too!)

They sent the form back to my partner along with the letter confirming that they received his application. It included a checklist of things they wanted us to send in in order to continue with processing. They gave us a deadline but we sent our stuff back to them within 10 days of having received their letter.
Peachy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic