FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confused about Additional Family Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused about Additional Family Information
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:09am
Right.

rbenoit left out an important part of the IMM 0008 (generic) requirement: it applies only to the primary applicant's dependents (spouse or children) who are NOT Canadian citizens or Canadian PRs.

The "additional family information" IMM 5406 is broad, and includes everyone identified in IMM 0008 (generic) and also includes the primary applicant's spouse and dependents even if they are Canadian citizens or PRs, and includes parents and siblings, as well as half and step-relations.

The use of "immediate family" I am familiar with includes parents and siblings as well as spouse and children, so to my mind a distinction focused on "immediate family" does not work all that well in explaining the difference between who is identified in 0008 versus who is identified in 5406.

5406 is merely informational, mostly to assist CIC in clearly establishing the primary applicant's identity.

0008 is the application for PR itself, and so identifies the applicant and all potential (that is those who are non-accompanying as well as those who are accompanying the primary applicant) immigrants under that application, and who must therefore be "examined."
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dealic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by canada2010 canada2010 wrote:

I have a question about IMM008. I am a canadian citizen. Do my wife need to fill out my info on page 2 of IMM0008 ? I am confused coz on top of page 2 of IMM0008 it says ' you must include spouse ..... who are not already permanent residents or citizens of canada.. does this imply that she doesnt need to list me as I am already canadian citizen or is it only for children ?

That is correct. You are not included as an accompanying or nonaccompanying dependent. You are not listed on that form. You are (assumably) the sponsor.

HOWEVER, on the form about Additional Family Members (the one the OP is referring to) you ARE listed as a spouse, even though you are a Canadian Citizen. You are listed there and only there. :)

canada2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canada2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by rbenoit rbenoit wrote:

IMM0008 asks about your immediate family.
Immediate family is defined by you, your spouse and any children you may have.

IMM5406 asks about additional family members.
Additional family in this case is defined as you, your, spouse, your parents, your children, your brothers, your sisters, and includes 1/2 brothers 1/2 sisters and what ever other combination they list. 

I have a question about IMM008. I am a canadian citizen. Do my wife need to fill out my info on page 2 of IMM0008 ? I am confused coz on top of page 2 of IMM0008 it says ' you must include spouse ..... who are not already permanent residents or citizens of canada.. does this imply that she doesnt need to list me as I am already canadian citizen or is it only for children ?
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 8:39am
IMM0008 asks about your immediate family.
Immediate family is defined by you, your spouse and any children you may have.

IMM5406 asks about additional family members.
Additional family in this case is defined as you, your, spouse, your parents, your children, your brothers, your sisters, and includes 1/2 brothers 1/2 sisters and what ever other combination they list. 
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:32am
Thanks dpenabill...that logic was floating somewhere around my head but I just couldn't retrieve it. I am glad you were able to put that into better words than me saying, "But that does not make any sense." LOL

Sweetg...I do see the sense in it...was just confusing for me as I had IMM0008 on the brain and there was nothing that changed that frame of mind (other than the instructions that said "You must answer all questions") that this really was different in its definition of family. But that is what forums like this are good for!! (Are you applying from within Canada? You can always give CIC a call when you have a question, too!)

They sent the form back to my partner along with the letter confirming that they received his application. It included a checklist of things they wanted us to send in in order to continue with processing. They gave us a deadline but we sent our stuff back to them within 10 days of having received their letter.
Peachy
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:23am
I know its like written in 1 isolated page that everyone has to fill it out....makes no sense...when they they send it back to you? and when did you return it?
" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:22am
I am very confident that this refers to only persons identified in IMM 0008 (generic) as applicant or dependent over the age of 18 (including non-accompanying dependents), as who must complete their own forms, and not "family members" identified in the IMM 5406 form itself but not included (as, essentially, persons to be examined) in IMM 0008 (generic).

That is, same persons as who must personally complete their own copy of the Background Declaration (IMM 0008 Schedule 1). Same persons who must undergo the medical exam.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 4:53am
Originally posted by SWEETG SWEETG wrote:

peachy871...did they send it back to you to fill out the additional family information form, or did each member of your family 18yrs and over have to fill out their own??

OH.    MY.   GOD.

I feel faint. I just looked at the instructions on IMM3999. And there it was, on page 12. But that does not make any sense. It makes sense to declare them but it doesn't make sense for his siblings and aging mother to fill it out too.

And to answer the question, they sent back the one form my partner had originally filled out because of a couple of errors on it. We printed a new one, made sure all the info was correct then sent both the first one and the second one back with a letter. They didn't say anything about each family member listed on it filling out ones themselves. I am sure they would have if it was required.

Anybody else know for sure?? or have called CIC about it? (for those of us who are outland, we cannot call CIC. We can email but it takes forever and a day to hear back...at least from my visa office)
Peachy
BMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 12:35am
Thank you for the quick answers! That tells me all I need, everyone. There's gotta be a better term than "family member"!
SWEETG View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWEETG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:44pm
peachy871...did they send it back to you to fill out the additional family information form, or did each member of your family 18yrs and over have to fill out their own??
" People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometimes it's letting go."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic