Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR card
    Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 4:04pm
Hello Please help, 

Edited by abbeyuk - 12 Apr 2012 at 4:42am
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 4:48pm
I don't get it.

Normally, when you land, you automatically apply for the initial PR card. This is actually done by the Immigration Officers and part of the landing procedure. So how can you land without getting the PR card?!?

AFAIR I needed my PR card to apply for SSN. So again I do not understand how you did that without PR card.

So you say, you landed (became permanent residen) on 2nd Now 2010 and did not get a PR card?
This is very unusual!

You can only apply for a PR card from within Canada, but without PR card (assuming you have the status of a PR) you cannot enter Canada. You need to get a Travel Document from the Canadian Embassy in UK to reenter Canada. But assuming you have the status of a PR, and you have enough evidence to profe it to the embassy, and they issue the Travel Document, then you should be able to work in Canada from the moment you arrive. The PR card is only required to facilitate traveling back to Canada.

And the current processing time is more like 150 days and adding days every week. You can check that on the CIC website.
abbeyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 6:21am
Hello Friend, 

First Many Thanks for ur reply. 

According to ur first question ...what happened with me when i first landed in canada.. 

When i first landed in canada in nov 2010.At that time i had record of landing(confirmation of permanent residence IM5292) with mi.After reaching there at airport only officers checked my passport and asked mi ,r u coming first time to canada then he send mi to lady immegration officer.

She checked my all documents and signed and she attached confirmation of PR document to last page of my passport.she said "when u will again come to canada u have to apply for travel document and what attached to back page of passport is not travel document it is confirmation of PR." 

I asked her about applying permanent residence card,she said u need to go to CIC office.I went there,again lady over there told mi , 
"U need to have proof of address (with my name on tenency papers),then only i can apply for PR card.and also she said any utility bills in canada on ur name,or driving liscence."

At that time due to lack of time i could not do more on that.so i could not apply for Pr card at my first landing. 

Yes,now i want apply for PR card after 1 year (as i went canada in nov 2010)from outside canada 
I ordered forms online.But as i said,I will fill forms and my friend in canada will do it for me.so 
Is this possible that i will apply for Pr card showing as if i m in canada staying with my friend (as existing permanent residence accoring to CIC website for PR card Processing Timeline )and now simultaneously i will apply for travel document ,so that when i will actually  reach canada,by that time i will have my PR card in my hand. 
Now as i said i have Po box in canada on my name with joint account with friend.And i m going to take telephone in canada.So i will ask them to send monthly phone bills to my Pobox address.

For SSN card,I just showed Passport and Confirmation of PR page attached to my passport
then they issued mi Social security number after 4 weeks(at my friends address),while getting SSN card ,i did not need to show my address proff in canada,so I got SSN card 

According to CIC website ,It tells for a freshly landed candidate PR card processing time is 39 days.And for existing permanent residence it takes 150 days.So as i could not apply for PR card in first landing.i want to do that from ouside canada and save my time. 

I heard that u need to have a Permanent residence card to apply for job.So i m bit worried of processing times of PR card.So i want to do it before i actually come in canada,and then after reaching there,i can search job.
so please any help will be appreciated,if u know more in this. 

Thanks ...

Edited by abbeyuk - 12 Apr 2012 at 4:44am
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 10:46am
For a job, you don't need the PR Card -- you need your SIN #.  You also have your COPR -- which in conjunction with your SIN should be more than acceptable.

I don't think you can apply for the card and have it sent to a PO box.  Also - having your friend apply for it is probably not a good idea either --- I'm pretty sure CIC gets YOU to pick it up at their office (meaning you need to make an appearance int he office).  I could be wrong though...
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 1:19pm

Ditto Harmonia regarding capacity to work in Canada: If you have a SIN number, you can work. You may need to present the SIN card within a certain amount of time after starting work but I am not sure how that works.

Anyway, only the initial PR card is sent via mail and then ONLY if you provided a mailing address at the time of landing.

You are now "an existing permanent resident" and so the time it will take to get a PR card is the longer one (five months or so). No shortcuts.
See the CIC page displaying processing times for PR cards. The longer timeline (currently over five months) also applies to the issuance of an "initial card" if the person applying is an existing PR, which you are.

You will be required to pick up your PR card in person.

That said, I am not familiar with the particulars of the process for obtaining an initial PR card for someone who did not have an in-Canada address at the time of landing and so was not initially issued a PR card following landing. It is my strong impression, however, that you must simply make the standard application for the PR card (form is the same for initial cards as it is for renewals or replacements).

Thus:

I suspect you will have to go to the nearest Canadian embassy and apply for a Travel Document; this is so you can board commercial transportation, as in an airline, destined for Canada, and so the process of confirming your status is easier when you arrive at the POE in Canada.

Once you arrive in Canada, you can apply for a PR card.

Technically you are supposed to make the PR card application from within Canada (to be eligible for a PR card "you must be physically present" in Canada) and it is NOT a good idea to start your life in Canada playing games with CIC. Bad idea, simple as that, a bad idea.

Yes, I know, many, many PRs do this sort of thing, that is, use someone else's address in Canada, send the application to their friend and then have the friend in turn submit the PR card application from within Canada. And yes, CIC recognizes this goes on and, it appears, mostly only subject such applicants to a heightened level of scrutiny, and (of course) require the applicant to appear in person to pick up the PR card. But, you want to do things right. Get the Travel Document. Come to Canada. Then apply for the PR card.   

Just plain a bad idea to start out your life in Canada lying to the government about where you are. No moral judgment involved. As a practical matter. They see through these things. Then it becomes a permanent part of your history, your willingness to lie for convenience. Your credibility is, at least with CIC and CBSA, forever compromised. Not a good idea, really, for practical reasons not moral ones.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 1:40pm
It is unusual, that you didn't get an initial card, but you need a residential address to get a card (no PO box) so maybe this was the case, why you didn't get a card.

Here is what you can do:

1. Go to your home countrys Canadian Embassy and apply for a Travel Document to return to Canada. You have to bring your landing document and provide proof for the time present in Canada. Contact the embassy and check out with the what they need and how long it takes. The cost are around 50$. You can send them Passport and application with supporting documents or go there in person (which is better).

OR

2. You can try to reach a Canadian port of entry (border crossing) on land via the US. That only works for citizens of a US visa waiver country. And you have to be allowed to enter the US through their online service. You can do that online and the permission can be done upfron even without travel details and is valid for 2 years. But only for certain citizens. THere you have to bring enough evidence that you are a PR (similar to TD).

TD is the best way, but as soon as you are back in Canada you can work and live here as a PR.
But you should apply for the PR card soon.

A PR card application has to be made from within Canada, but you can try to send the application via a friend. CIC is aware of this option and does not strictly forbid that.
There is an enforcement manual explaining this ENF-27. 5.2 clearly says:
Quote R56(2) states clearly that a PR card application must be made in Canada. Furthermore,
the card must be delivered in person to each applicant, pursuant to R58(3), and be
picked up within 180 days of the person receiving notification that it is ready for collection.
This enhances the integrity of the application process, allowing the local office to contact
the client to review documentation and assess residency issues in person. However, it is
recognized that the Regulations do not specify physical presence in Canada for purposes
of filing a PR card application. Applications cannot be refused solely on the basis of
evidence that the applicant was not in Canada when the application was filed. However,
applicants are expected to provide an address in Canada where they may be contacted
to provide additional information or to present themselves in person for the purposes of
reviewing either identification or eligibility for the PR card.
The CPC may refer a case to a
local CIC if all or part of the application originated from outside Canada, and if there are
questions as to the client’s identity, status or residency history, or the authenticity of the
documentation. Clients must report in person to pick up their card in Canada, in
accordance with R58(3).

So you can try, but need a canadian contact address. You can
  • download the application forms,
  • fill them out
  • send them to your friend
  • he can forward the application to the CIC processing center
But processing of initial cards takes 47 days right now and normal application ~150 days. Even urgent processing takes 30+ days, so it might not work out for Feb 2012 with sending stuff back and forth. So you are left with getting a TD.

Now you should know what you have to do.
J

Edited by jogruni - 19 Oct 2011 at 1:49pm
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 1:46pm
@dpenabil
Damn you were typing faster .....
But as enf-27 mentions the situation and says the application cannot be denied on this, I would not consider it "illegal" to forward the application through a friend. I just wouldn't try to hide the fact.
mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:58pm
Hi I am new here

I have a question my ecase shows my PR renewal approved on Aug 26 and I was supposed to get the picking up letter but no letter yet. I called CIC 3 times and everytime different answers. Would you please tell me how long I should wait for the letter?
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 3:07pm
Almost 2 months is a bit too long. What did CIC tell you?

Maybe contact you local CIC office or go there and ask them. You have to go there anyway for the pick up.
mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 3:37pm

One of them told me it will take 4 weeks for Sydney office to print the card and then send to local office then after that local office will sent me a letter. It doesn't make sence, does it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic