Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 3:50pm
Hi Mina,

4 weeks printing time corelates to the minimum "urgen processing time". You have to expect 2 weeks for the shipping and another 2 weeks for the letter from local CIC office.

If you do not plan to travel, there is no need to rush. So maybe just wait.

But still give the local CIC office a shout. Maybe they can help.

When I landed in 2006 for some reason my picture was not accepted from the processing center. I landed in June and got an invitation for taking a new picture in November at a firm date and time. But I needed to leave the country again in September. In the letter and even on the phone they were not willing to change the appointment. I just went to the local office in Vancouver in person and a friendly officer said, that it is no problem doing it right now (August). So going there might help.
mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 4:27pm
Thanks jogruni, The call center told me my local office would be in Niagra falls. from my postal code. do they send my Card to there for sure? I don't trust these call center's guys because each of them says different things.
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 5:19pm
I would say so. You have to pick the new card up in person and return your old card.
If you can go there or call them. But visiting might be better.
abbeyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:36am
Hello Friends,

I m really thankful to all of U.Smile

I complete my 1 year outside canada in nov 2011.

As u all suggested ,I will b applying for travel document soon.Before that i want to know ,

1) How long it take to get travel document(days/months)?

2)After getting TD ,what is expiry limit of TD,
(That How much time i get after getting TD to enter in canada)

3)I read that I can stay 2 years outside canada out of 5 years to get citizenship.Is this correct limit?

4)In those remaining 3 years Whether I have to show to government that i am paying tax to Canadian government then only it fulfills the criteria for applying citizenship,

Is it mendatory to show exact 3 years(36 months tax paid)to Gov.?

as I will apply for PR card,and apply for job after reaching there in canada.

Thanks......
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 6:05am
abbeyuk:

How long it takes to obtain the Travel Document (TD) probably depends on which embassy you need to apply through and, to some extent, on the particulars . . . where you landed as a PR less than three years ago (meaning there is still more than 730 days before the 5 year anniversary of your landing, the date by which you need to have been in Canada for at least 730 days to be in compliance with the PR residency obligation), it should not be complicated, mostly a matter of confirming identity.

I do not know how long TDs are good for, but not for long is my impression. I'd suggest applying for it a few week before planning to return to Canada.

Regarding citizenship:

The residency obligation for citizenship is that you must be "resident-in-Canada" for at least three years out of the four years immediately preceding the date you apply. The practical side of this means that you must be actually, physically present in Canada for more than 1095 days in the four years preceding your application.

So no, you cannot be outside Canada for two out of five years preceding applying for citizenship and still qualify, unless one of those years was totally before the beginning of the four year period immediately preceding the application for citizenship . . . and even then that would be cutting it way too close. Not wise to apply for citizenship without having a margin well over the minimum requirements.

Payment of Canadian taxes is not a requirement for citizenship, but of course to become a citizen you must be resident in Canada and if you are resident in Canada you must pay Canadian taxes.

Since you did not begin living in Canada immediately after landing, if you want to become a citizen you need to firmly establish a residence in Canada and then maintain that residence, and before applying be certain to have been actually, physically present in Canada for at least three full years within the four years preceding the date of applying. (And I suggest being in Canada long enough over and above that to establish a margin . . . and especially so for someone like you who did not establish a residence in Canada soon after landing.)
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
abbeyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 6:09am
Hello Friends, 
I m really thankful to all of U.Smile 
I complete my 1 year outside canada in nov 2011. 

As u all suggested ,I will b applying for travel document soon.Before that i want to know , 

1) How long it take to get travel document(days/months)? 

2)After getting TD ,what is expiry limit of TD, 
(That How much time i get after getting TD to enter in canada) 

3)I read that I can stay 2 years outside canada out of 5 years to get citizenship.Is this correct limit? 

4)In those remaining 3 years Whether I have to show to government that i am paying tax to Canadian government then only it fulfills the criteria for applying citizenship, 

Is it mendatory to show exact 3 years(36 months tax paid)to Gov.? 
as I will apply for PR card,and apply for job after reaching there in canada. 

Thanks......

[
abbeyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 6:58am
Thanks My Friend.

1)How often i have to renew PR card.?
I became PR on Nov 2010

2)Assume  If I will get My PR Card in Nov 2012,

Then after I will complete my 3 year residence in canada out of 5 years in 2015.

But as u said I have to be residing in canada of 3 years of my remaining 4 year period preceding to my application to Citizenship.

In this case ,there can b 2 cases.
I will b employed for 3 continuous years or may be a gap in between.

3)So Is it acceptable for applying for citizenship?
(just needed to b residing in canada for 3 years and submiting tax as per employed durations)
or in that case I will have to wait for another year for my citizenship.?

Second case,if i come canada early like 4(3 and half year) years before of my 5 years period then
4)Can 3 years residence out of 4 year can be like this?

2 continous year inside canada+6months out of canada +1 continuous year inside canada

(Bz U have to keep exceptions,We cant predict future so just calculating roughly my pre-plan)

Is it acceptable?

abbeyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 10:12am
Document checklist-Applying for Travel Document

Its written in this checklist-
1)Application form
2)Passport size photo
3)Confirmation of PR
4)Your Passport or Travel/Identity document from ur country of citizenship.
5)fees
Do i need to submit Original Passport for this with COPR attached back page of passsport.
Or birth certificate or Identity certificate from my country is sufficient?
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by abbeyuk abbeyuk wrote:

1)How often i have to renew PR card.?
I became PR on Nov 2010

PR card is valid for five years.

But you have to understand a valid PR card and having a status of a PR are two different and independant things. YOU DO NOT NEED a valid PR card to be a legitimate PR!!!

You only need a valid PR card for traveling outside Canada. Actually just to return to Canada!
You need to understand that.

Keeping the status of a legitimate PR you need at least 730 days of physical presence in Canada within the proceeding 5 years. If you became a PR less than 5 years ago, the days present + the remaining days until the end of the first 5 years since landing (date you became a PR).
Again you have to understan that.

Quote 2)Assume  If I will get My PR Card in Nov 2012,
Then after I will complete my 3 year residence in canada out of 5 years in 2015.
But as u said I have to be residing in canada of 3 years of my remaining 4 year period preceding to my application to Citizenship.
3)So Is it acceptable for applying for citizenship?

For citizenship you need min 1095 days of physical presence in Canada AND you need to establish your "residence" in Canada. Meaning you must appear to center your life in Canada. This requirement is a bit vaguem but you should read a bit more in this forum to get an idea what that means. There lave been lengthly discussions on this.

Second case,if i come canada early like 4(3 and half year) years before of my 5 years period then
4)Can 3 years residence out of 4 year can be like this?

On the CIC website there is a residency calculator (part of the application process) you can enter all your dates and find out when you can apply for citizenship.

2 continous year inside canada+6months out of canada +1 continuous year inside canada

YES besides the residency requirement you need at least 1095 days of physical presence within the 4 years preceeding the application. 2x365 + 1x365 = 1095 = OK.

But I would all some days, to avoid questions about the calculation. I would suggest at least a month safety margine.

Its written in this checklist-
1)Application form
2)Passport size photo
3)Confirmation of PR
4)Your Passport or Travel/Identity document from ur country of citizenship.
5)fees
Do i need to submit Original Passport for this with COPR attached back page of passsport.
Or birth certificate or Identity certificate from my country is sufficient?

Contact the Embassy and ask them. Processing times depend on the embassy.
I would suggest to go there in person, rather than sending them the documents.
Also I would only send the passport and a copy of COPR. You can get a new passport, but this document is more difficult to get, if lost. It is your only proof of PR right now!

Edited by jogruni - 20 Oct 2011 at 12:42pm
abbeyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:45am
Hello,

I need to apply for TD in Uk (as 
 that is where i first received initial permanent residence card.only or 
I can apply for TD from my home country ?

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic