Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - IAD appeals, ADRs, & Federal Court judicial review
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IAD appeals, ADRs, & Federal Court judicial review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 246>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GildaNewBrunswick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:05pm
Can someone who has had a successful appeal advise me as to what I should/can look for on the Ecas.
?

So far we have "date it started processing" and today they added "medical received".  They started the re processing on Dec 8.  My husband submitted everything they requested by now.

Do they ever mention the police check rec'd on there?

Thanks
suzieq616 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzieq616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:15pm
I don't remember them updating much of anything until after my husband landed.  Definitely don't remember anything about the police checks.  Our biggest hassle was the medicals being received. 
GildaNewBrunswick View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GildaNewBrunswick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 2:37pm
Thanks Suzieq616

I won't judge too much by that info then.
Milad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 2:51am
Dear All,
Have a Good Day,
I need your help,
I'm a canadian living outside Canada, amd wanted to go back with my family (wife and 2sons-the younger is now canadian), I applied to sponsor my wife and the other son, but the application is refused and the appeal as well, I have been told that I have not the intination to move to canada and I could not approve that by resign letter or a school letter .. etc, the next step in very limited time to go to the court, but because I'm still outside Canada I'll not be able to be in time there, Is it possible to reapply the sponsoring from within Canada.
thank you in advance.
Milad Louis
Milad Louis
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:06pm
If your circumstances change, then yes you can reapply.   So, for example, if the reason they rejected your original application is because you did not have a credible plan for moving back, and you then move back to Canada, you would be able to reapply.
FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:10pm
I figured I'd add my own judicial review timeline here.

FSW category.  Original application filed June, 2009.  Medical admissibility issue reported ("fairness letter") in March 2011.  Responded to fairness letter in May and July 2011.  Medical officer affirmed decision of medical inadmissibility December 2011.  Rejection letter sent December 22, 2011.  Request for Judicial review filed January 2012.  Reasons for decision received January 30, 2012.  Application for Judicial review filed February 29, 2012.

Respondent's answer is due on March 30, 2012.  Applicant's rebuttal due April 6, 2012 (which is a holiday, so I'm not sure if it is due on April 7, 2012 or due on April 3, 2012, the previous business day.)

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
Milad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 4:24am

Dear Computergreek,

I'm rely appreciating the information you give, in fact I 'm warring, because I requested at the end of the letter to find a lawyer in a limited time, but because I'm outside Canada at the moment, I do not know what is the right a move I have to go, in the same time I decided to move alone without my family and reapply again from there, I wish this step could convince them that I have the intonation to move to Canada. thank you again.

Milad Louis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Milad Milad wrote:

Dear Computergreek,

I'm rely appreciating the information you give, in fact I 'm warring, because I requested at the end of the letter to find a lawyer in a limited time, but because I'm outside Canada at the moment, I do not know what is the right a move I have to go, in the same time I decided to move alone without my family and reapply again from there, I wish this step could convince them that I have the intonation to move to Canada. thank you again.

If you applied for outland sponsorship, you have (or had) the option to an IAD appeal.  That is the BEST option to proceed because they are allowed to consider humanitarian and compassionate grounds, as well as new evidence.

Judicial review is a low probability, low yield path.  I've looked through a nice sample of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 dockets and from what I can tell judicial review is allowed in about 20-25% of cases.  There's a 20-30% chance of a positive outcome for a successful review case, so the whole thing boils down to a 4-6% chance.  My attorney is charging $4200 for the review process (and to be honest, that's a very reasonable fee since I'm quite sure he's already put in quite a bit of time in preparing the application.  Or maybe I'm too used to hanging around with $500+ per hour lawyers.)

Even with a combination of both mundane ("officer ignored the procedural fairness requirements of Hilewitz") and novel ("the law and rules violate Charter Section 15" and "the process violates the separation of powers between Provincial and Federal governments") along with factual material and supporting case law, it still seems like a long shot that it will land in front of a judge that decides these are issues worthy of consideration.

If it IS accepted, I figure then we'll probably win on one of the novel arguments, which means the government will appeal - so another 12-18 months tacked on to the process.   So if successful, sometime in 2014 my case would go back to CIC, where they would then drag it out for another 18-24 months....

That's why my spouse has filed a sponsored application.  I can deal with another two years of uncertainty (spousal sponsorship with a prior rejection) but to be honest, if I didn't HAVE a Canadian spouse now, I'd just go back to the US, because the whole thing is a mess.

So, if I were you, I'd either go for reconsideration, IAD appeal or just figure out a way to move home with your family.

Hmm.  Another route you might consider would be to obtain a TRP for your spouse.  A "temporary resident permit" is given to someone who is otherwise inadmissibile.  Its entirely discretionary, but H&C grounds are allowed, can be obtained abroad and renewed inland.  Spousal categories are explicitly called out in the manual (OP 20) and you have the added benefit of a rejected sponsorship already ("so you don't believe I'm not going back?  Let me bring my wife with me!")

But yes, finding a good lawyer would still be beneficial.  I don't know someone with expertise in your particular area, but I know at least two with good reputations in doing judicial review work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 12:44am
So I had a peculiar entry appear on my Federal Court docket today:

"Letter from the respondent, <named attorney> dated 13-MAR-2012 <named attorney> assumed carriage of this immigration leave application received on 14-MAR-2012"

I've looked at dozens of cases and I have NEVER seen an entry like this appear - normally, the next entry after the application being filed is the government's response.  I did a bit of searching on the named attorney (shows up as being part of Justice Canada) and found the attorney appearing on a number of high profile public immigration cases.

Naturally, I'm overthinking the situation - my sense is that they've assigned a senior litigator to this case (a "big gun").  I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign.

The government's response is due on 30 March.  Rebuttal due 9 April (a holiday, so I'm assuming due 10 April).  Then the 6-8 week wait while the Court decides whether or not to hear my case.  My hope is that the appearance of a "big gun" actually makes it more likely that the case will go for review.

I of course know that I just have to wait and see.

jcalm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcalm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 1:24am
Hi guys,
After waited a year and half for the ADR Hearing, I've finally passed it.  My wife medical exam has already been expired long time ago.  Here is my question.  Should I get my wife to do another medical exam or should I wait till CIC in Hong Kong to request for it?  Any respond will be highly appreciated.   Thanks
6/23 apps
9/03/10-Int sched
11/10/10-Int failed
12/10/10-Appeal filed
1/19/11-Appeal confed
6/17/11-Caip Rev'd
11/25/11-ADR confed
1/17/12-ADR Sched
3/15/12-ADR Psed
10/3/12-VISA Rved
11/1/12-la
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 246>