Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inland PR - Medical Mistake in Guide?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland PR - Medical Mistake in Guide?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 2:57pm

Hi,

I've been compiling my inland application for permanent residence sponsored by my common-law partner and I'm slightly confused by the guidance given by the CIC on when I should be taking my medical.

In the CIC guide 'Applying for Permanent Residence from Within Canada - Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class' it clearly states on page 15 under the heading 'Instructions':
"Information on medical instructions will be provided to you. When you receive your assessment notice you will also receive medical forms for yourself" and that "You are not required to have a medical examination before you submit your application forms"

This seems like a common sense approach to me as the first stage of approval can take so long that a medical taken before your application may be invalid by the time they get to evaluating it during the second stage.

However, the guide directly contradicts itself on page 56 under the heading 'Forms':
"Before submitting your application, attach all of the forms.....including proof of the medical examination"

The document checklist (IMM 5443) also mentions including Proof of Medical Examination.

So which is it to be? I called the CIC call centre to clarify and the person I spoke to agreed that a medical examination prior to making an application was unnecessary but they didn't seem that confident in the answer and I had to lead them to areas in the Guide to clarify.
I've had a search around on the forums here and can't find anyone who mentions this, in fact most advice on here would suggest that you should submit proof of your medical with your initial application.

Has the system maybe changed recently? Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:03am
Hi

Originally posted by RPJ RPJ wrote:

Hi,

I've been compiling my inland application for permanent residence sponsored by my common-law partner and I'm slightly confused by the guidance given by the CIC on when I should be taking my medical.

In the CIC guide 'Applying for Permanent Residence from Within Canada - Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class' it clearly states on page 15 under the heading 'Instructions':"Information on medical instructions will be provided to you. When you receive your assessment notice you will also receive medical forms for yourself" and that "You are not required to have a medical examination before you submit your application forms"

This seems like a common sense approach to me as the first stage of approval can take so long that a medical taken before your application may be invalid by the time they get to evaluating it during the second stage.

However, the guide directly contradicts itself on page 56 under the heading 'Forms':"Before submitting your application, attach all of the forms.....including proof of the medical examination"

The document checklist (IMM 5443) also mentions including Proof of Medical Examination.

So which is it to be? I called the CIC call centre to clarify and the person I spoke to agreed that a medical examination prior to making an application was unnecessary but they didn't seem that confident in the answer and I had to lead them to areas in the Guide to clarify.I've had a search around on the forums here and can't find anyone who mentions this, in fact most advice on here would suggest that you should submit proof of your medical with your initial application.

Has the system maybe changed recently? Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

Have the medical, you need to submit proof of the medical exam with your application.
PMM
RPJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 11:31am
Hi PMM,

Sorry to question you on this but have you submitted an application recently and had it returned because you didn't include proof of a medical examination or is this just knowledge you have of the process (if so could I ask from what source please)?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:07pm
Hi

Originally posted by RPJ RPJ wrote:

Hi PMM,

Sorry to question you on this but have you submitted an application recently and had it returned because you didn't include proof of a medical examination or is this just knowledge you have of the process (if so could I ask from what source please)?

No, I haven't submitted an application. But you can do what you wish. If you submit the application without the proof of medical, you can expect a letter from the processing office, asking where it is. Then you are looking at about a month or more delay in the processing.
PMM
ThunderBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 2:07pm
I was also confused by the exact same thing.

I called to have an appointment scheduled at a doctor's office that do these types of exams often. The receptionist told me that they don't recommend to have it done before applying, because often it expires before the application is processed and you will need a new one. She explained that normally you first apply, then you do the medical exam once you have your case number, and the doctor's office sends the results right to CIC.

Which would confirm what the guide says.

So, can anyone who has first hand experience or legal knowledge enlighten us please? Thanks :)
Swedish citizen
Living in Vancouver with Canadian girlfriend
Current status: IEC (International Experience Canada) work permit until 2011-11-16
Planning to apply for PR inland
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic