Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsorship
    Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 5:24pm

My husband and I were recently married in Taipei at Xinyi District Household Registration office.
I am a Canadian citizen. My husband is an overseas chinese, ROC passport holder. Please note that he does not hold a Taiwan National ID but instead a document ‘統一證號’(identity number) from bureau of immigration (Taiwan). He currently works in Taipei. The immigration permits him to stay for 3 months. Before the 3rd month ends, he requests for an extension to stay. The immigration will then grant him permission to stay for another 3 months. In short, he can only stay in Taiwan for a maximum of 6 months. Once the 6th month comes, he departs Taiwan to go to the Philippines for approximately 10 days. He then would apply for visa to enter Taiwan.

Having said all that, can I sponsor him from Taiwan given that he is not a citizen of Taiwan?

I’m hoping you’ll be able to help.

Thanking you in advance.
Scorpio 9791 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpio 9791 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:02pm

You don not need to be a citizen of a country to apply for visa from that country however this is what it says on IMM 1344EA (Application to sponsor and undertaking)

If the address of the person you are sponsoring is not in the country of Nationality of the person, has that person being lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year in the country where he/she is living??..If not the application will be processed at the visa office responsible for the country of which the person you are sponsoring is a national.

Edited by Scorpio 9791 - 16 Jan 2010 at 6:08pm
lorie09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:26pm

Hi, Thanks for replying so quickly.

I just want to make a correction regarding the visa.  According to my husband, his visa to enter Taiwan is valid for 3 years. Also, he does have an address in Taiwan. 

Thanks..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic