Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thunder Bay office

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunder Bay office
    Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:58am
Anybody applied to Thunder Bay office (citizenship)?
How do I know the timelines?
Thanks
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:22pm
Good question, for all of three or so of us who may be affected.

Of course an applicant does not apply to any particular office except Sydney. The question is, is there anyone who has applied for citizenship whose local office is (or likely will be) Thunder Bay? (There is a CIC office in Thunder Bay but it is not listed as one processing citizenship applications; that said, I have noticed both citizenship tests and oath ceremonies being conducted in Thunder Bay. I really do not know how it works for NWO.)

I have seen one other person posting here who I think this applies to . . . but perhaps that was you earlier?

I have been watching for ceremonies in Thunder Bay. In previous years they were usually a Canada Day event. This year, though, it was earlier; I do not recall the month for sure, but I think it was in May.

I have not noticed any other ceremonies in Thunder Bay. While I only occasionally (just a few times a year) check the online ceremony site maintained by CIC generally, so I cannot say I have watched it at all closely, I have never seen Thunder Bay events listed. (I know about oath ceremonies and such due to reports in news media, not from CIC sources.)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:28pm
Well, I am going this afternoon to my local office and ask about the ceremonies and all that in TBay... will keep you and whoever is interested posted.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:44pm
Looking forward to finding out what you learn.

I have not applied yet (even though I am well over the residency threshold) for reasons alluded to in other discussions, but by the time I apply Thunder Bay is most likely where at least the oath will be located . . . assuming the occurence of more than a few contingencies, including my survival.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 6:43am
The local office stated that they don't know anything about TBAY centre. In fact, the meeting took less than a minute and the 1-800 number was mentioned 10 times in case I need to know more. I will try to call cic and see what happens. Access to information related to citizenship and immigration is the toughest task in Canada for reasons that I still ignore!
Forestmember View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestmember Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:38pm
I am from Thunder Bay and I have attended some of the Citizenship ceremonies as Volunteer photographer (for my friends and families who ask me to-no fees). I know uncountable people from Dryden, Atikokan, Sault Ste Marie, Thunder Bay and Neebing who had the ceremony there (like wise some Lakehead University students from other towns who get the oat in Thunder Bay.  They normally get the ceremony done twice June and November each year. There is no Citizenship judge in Thunder Bay (up to June this year), so there is one female judge who comes from Windsor to administer the oats ceremony. This year however, the Judge (Judge George Springate) came from I think Montreal or so for the ceremony. My office mate got his citizenship in November 2010 and wrote the exams in September. There are others who wrote the exams in October and still got the ceremony the same November. If the oats ceremony is in June, then you MAY  wait for longer from the time you write the test (for example if you write the test in December, you wait until June). However, if you write the test in June-October, you attend the ceremony in November (am assuming you will pass). Please note, these dates change from time to time as I heard at one of the ceremonies the date depend on the availability of the out-of town Judge.

The location of the ceremonies also change every year and based on the season. Some were done at the City Hall (before the renovations), the last November one was done at Columbus Hall and the last June ceremony was done at the Old Fort William Historical Park. One thing I can tell you about getting the oat administered in Thunder Bay is that your application can be speed up really fast to meet the November date or slowed down really slow to meet the June date (unofficial view from the numerous friends and families I volunteered to photo shoot them at the ceremonies).

Happy to know Dpenabill and others are using or going to use the same office I am using.
jojo2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 2:12pm
Just got a mail from cic - Ottawa. I have to fly and write my citizenship test in Ottawa on Oct 6.. I am not going to miss this opportunity. The cic agent I spoke with says that if I don't show up in ottawa, they will reschedule and it could take up to 6 months! After 2 no show, you have to provide an explanation. Anyways, I thought I'd drop a line here for completion
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 11:27pm
I overlooked your post Forestmember. Thank you for the heads up about two ceremonies. I thought something like that was the case, but was aware of only the late spring/early summer date not the fall date. I think the one this year was indeed earlier than June and that was a little disconcerting to me, given my anticipated schedule for filing, thinking it could mean having to wait a full extra year just because of the location.

I am not surprised jojo2000 that you got no where in your inquiry. The location of the local CIC office in T Bay is generally known, but there is little known about what the local office actually handles.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic