Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - concern about deportation and permanent residents
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

concern about deportation and permanent residents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abguy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: concern about deportation and permanent residents
    Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 3:13am
i have a  question my common law and  i split up and  she is still in the  3  years  term after  getting  her  residency is it possible if we  had  split up and  were not  living together at all  is there any reasons  she  could face  deportation at all  and  what are those reasons if  any?

Edited by abguy35 - 11 Sep 2011 at 3:26am
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 3:41pm
No.

Unless she herself commits a very serious and an indictable criminal offense or she offered all falsified information in her PR application.
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 4:37pm
If you are talking about Permanent Resident status, why 3 years term?

The residency obligation are talking about 730 days within a 5 year periode. There is no 3 year periode. Or are you talking about sponsorship to become citizen?

If you partner has her own PR status and PR card, she has an independant status. All she has to do is stay in Canada or do not leave the country for more than a total of 1095 days within the first 5 years or after that within the previous previous 5 year periode of any day, when someone might assess the PR status. But this is independant from the other person.

And yes criminal offenses might trigger deportation, but that would be the same if you were still in a common law relation or marriage.
abguy35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abguy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:29pm
ty very much  for the  responses  it has made it more  clear to me  
ProudOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:02am

The three year term is most likely the Sponsorship Undertaking which is valid for 3 years reguardless of relationship breakdown.

EmeraldTaylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmeraldTaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:26am
I generally agree with Mr, Nguyen's answer. However, if the person is undocumented, even temporary incarceration can lead to an ICE hold and subsequent deportation. Anyone in that position should certainly consult an attorney to avoid any exposure to ICE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic