Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsoring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jchevais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsoring
    Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:44am
I am new to this whole immigration thing and I'm finding it to be a bit of a headache (big surprise, I'm sure it's a headache on purpose).

Brass tacks:  I'm a Canadian living in Western Europe (since 1997) and now my spouse (French) and my 3 children (Dual French and Canadian citizens) would like to return to my hometown in Western Canada.

I understand that I need to sponsor my husband (the only non-Canadian of the bunch) for his permanent residence papers but how can I prove that I'm returning to Canada?  Do I have to go on ahead, get a job/rent a house and then sponsor him?  (because from what I understand, the sponsorship papers have to be approved before the applicant's papers are even looked at)

Do I really have to break up the family like that?

And can anyone point me in the direction of how long the Paris processing times are?

Many thanks in advance.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 2:04pm
Hi

Originally posted by jchevais jchevais wrote:

I am new to this whole immigration thing and I'm finding it to be a bit of a headache (big surprise, I'm sure it's a headache on purpose).

Brass tacks:  I'm a Canadian living in Western Europe (since 1997) and now my spouse (French) and my 3 children (Dual French and Canadian citizens) would like to return to my hometown in Western Canada.

I understand that I need to sponsor my husband (the only non-Canadian of the bunch) for his permanent residence papers but how can I prove that I'm returning to Canada?  Do I have to go on ahead, get a job/rent a house and then sponsor him?  (because from what I understand, the sponsorship papers have to be approved before the applicant's papers are even looked at)

Do I really have to break up the family like that?

And can anyone point me in the direction of how long the Paris processing times are?

Many thanks in advance.

1. No you don't break up the family. You outline what your plans are when your spouse gets his visa. Where you intend to live, that you have investigated accommodation in the area. The school you have selected for schools, that you are going to contact Canadian employers in the area. You can also state what jobs are available in the area for a person with your qualifications.
PMM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 2:25pm
Ditto:

As a citizen you can submit the sponsored PR application from abroad so long as you include concrete evidence of an actual intent to return to live in Canada with your sponsored partner.

If you do as PMM suggests, doing some homework, clearly outlining some concrete plans, showing that you have made a real effort to research facilitating the return, your circumstances are conducive to the application being approved prior to an actual relocation.

A couple further notes:

Take your time. Work your way through the forms and guide, reading them repeatedly, working through rough drafts, not getting bogged down by what is confusing or unclear, going back to those later or the next time through. This is not a mere weekend project. Once it percolates in your head awhile, a lot more comes into clear focus.

Be sure you obtain proof of citizenship for the children. Do not rely on certification of birth alone, for example.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jchevais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jchevais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:15pm
Thank god!  Hooray, I shall sleep tonight!

So... can I basically use all of the emails I've been sending to various agencies over there to get information (for jobs) as part of my proof?  The print offs for healthcare, social insurance cards and driver's licenses?  The houses I've found online that we may want to rent initially and the houses that we may want to buy eventually?

I can live with that.

I've already gone ahead and gotten the children their citizenship cards... though one is bound to be in processing (the baby's card) when I apply so I will be sure to have her temporary passport in the works as well.

And is it just me, or is the "generic" form quite confusing?  There are some things like UCI and Status of your country of residence that I just don't understand.  I'll have to give the manual another look through.

Many thanks for your replies.
jchevais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jchevais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:17pm
Oh.... and the schools.  I'm not too sure about that one... I'll have to track down their Francophone schools though I haven't decided if I want to put them in a francophone school or and english one with a good esl program.  We shall see.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic