Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some tips for new PRs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some tips for new PRs
    Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 10:02pm

This is my fourth year in Canada as a PR and about to apply for my Citizenship. I would like to post some tips here - mostly things I learned through my mistakes and experience.

1. Save all documentation:- This is particularly important if you are planning to apply for your Citizenship at the end of three years. Save every documentation - phone bills, credit card statements, bank statements etc. When I came to Toronto, I stayed with a friend of mine and worked remotely for my employer in NYC. I was mostly on a housing hunt at that time and been going back and forth between US and Canada via road. I made my payments mostly in cash - for groceries mostly as I was staying with my friend and didnt need any other services like phone or internet. But I did buy an IP phone service and lost all the paperwork related to that. So stupid of me!!!

2. Leave a paper trail:- If you happen to stay in Canada and if you are staying with a friend or family, there is a good chance that you won't have much documentation to show your residency here. So its better you use your credit cards to make payments and not use cash. This is the mistake I did. Later when you apply for your citizenship, these statements will support your claim that you lived in Canada.

3. Record every entry and exit in Canada:- I never thought about this during my initial days and when it was time to prep the paperwork for my citizenship, I was suddenly faced with the daunting task for figuring out the exact dates of my departures and entries in Canada. Thanks to rshree's advice to track back through credit card statements and some old photographs that I took during my stay with my friend, I was able to piece together my trip details. But it took a lot of time and effort and plenty of mental strain. So keep track of every trip you make outside Canada.

4. Never discard your COPR:- COPR is a very important document. You should keep it even after you get the PR card. This might come handy in many situations including your application for Citizenship.

5. Always keep your expired passports with you. Especially the one with the immigration visa:- This is very important in many situations like your Citizenship application where they need to look at your older passports for travel details.

6. Always file your taxes. Even if you dont have an income:- This is another proof that you been living in Canada for that specific year. Will be helpful when you apply for Citizenship.

chintu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chintu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 9:14am
Thanks Sarin_J.

Chintu
@ CHC London.
AOR-Jul 2007; Updt Req-May 2009; Updt Sent-Jun 2009; Med + Add Doc Req-Aug 2010; Med + Doc Sent-Oct 2010; PPR-Apr 2011; Visa Recvd-Jun 2011; Landed Aug 2011
mod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 9:29am
thank you
imran01 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imran01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 9:31am
thank you
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:34am
I fully agree with this.

After PR, people usually do not pay attention or keep such documents handy as they forget or don't know that it may come in handy when applying for the citizenship.

So to the newly arriving immigrants/people, pay attention and keep/save all the papers, don't throw any away....you may need them for citizenship process!

Keshab View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keshab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 12:08pm
Good piece of information, specially for newcommers.
Thanks.
kristina View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 10:49pm
really helpful for my friends. Thank you sarin_j.
sachnbapat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sachnbapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 3:14am
nice info.....very specific!!!!!

keep the good work going....

Regards,
Regards,

Sachin Bapat
krisp View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:13am
Nice and valuable experience shared. Thank u for the same.
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Asl8-K_6JIWYdFBxa1ZDZ1dtQmpna2t6UHBvR285clE&output=html
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 12:32am
Great advice Sarin_j, really useful info for newcomers,
Other than what sain_j mentioned, Employment contracts, appartment lease, paystubs... are very savers to clear any suspecious thoughts by CIC.
Thx again sarin_j
"Canada, where good people live"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic