Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maternity leave counts in 2 years experience?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maternity leave counts in 2 years experience?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:20am
I have some questions please someone help me.

1) I am on work permit and want to apply for immigration after two years experience. I was on maternity leave for 50 weaks  during this period. Can I count this period or I have to work for extra 50 weaks?

2) Before this work permit I was on clergy visa for few months. Can I count this period as experience?

Please reply me.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 12:49pm
Hi

Originally posted by dove dove wrote:

I have some questions please someone help me.
1) I am on work permit and want to apply for immigration after two years experience. I was on maternity leave for 50 weaks  during this period. Can I count this period or I have to work for extra 50 weaks?
2) Before this work permit I was on clergy visa for few months. Can I count this period as experience?
Please reply me.

1. No, you can't count the maternity leave.
2. Clergy, most are on a visitor permit rather than work permit, if it was a work permit yes, if not no.
PMM
dove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 10:46pm
Thank you very much PMM for quick response. 
I have some more questions, please reply
I have a masters degree in arabic and out of canada 3 years teaching experience at school level. English is ok and I can improve more. so which category you suggest better and faster for me.
I will apply from inside canada.

a) Canadian experience class
b) Arranged employment offer class

and does it make any difference if I apply from Saskatchewan rather than Ontario?

thank you again.
NitzF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NitzF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 11:31pm
A good friend of mine experienced this kind of situation. Maternity leave is counted because your taxes are being paid for. When you're on maternity leave you will be receiving half or part of your salary which means that you have to pay your income tax too. That is the basis of immigration.
Praise be to God.
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:56am
Originally posted by NitzF NitzF wrote:

A good friend of mine experienced this kind of situation. Maternity leave is counted because your taxes are being paid for. When you're on maternity leave you will be receiving half or part of your salary which means that you have to pay your income tax too. That is the basis of immigration.

Counting work experience for immigration purposes requires an applicant to be "PHYSICALLY WORKING" using their "HANDS and FEET". As such, maternity leave cannot possibly be included as working experience.
NitzF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NitzF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 6:24pm
It happened to my friend. She actually received her permanent residency card in 3 years and she was on maternity for a year. Can you explain that?
Praise be to God.
nyra1117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyra1117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:50pm
Hi NitzF,

I joined the organization in Jan 2019 and went on Maternity Leave in July 2019 and returning back to same organization in June 2020. Since Jan 2019 to till date including maternity leave I got 1 years of experience in Canada. Can I claim 1 years of experience in Canada for express entry.

Thanks,
Nyra,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic