Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family background and medical exams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family background and medical exams
    Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 3:05pm
My fiance and I are planning to start the immigration process as soon as possible but we've hit a stumbling block. Does my immediate family really have to undergo both police clearance and medical exams? My mother and sister simply cannot afford to travel out of their state to the closest medical practictioner and pay for a medical exam that won't be covered by their insurance. And as for my father, he lives in a state separate from my mum, sister, and myself and does not have a clear record. I'm certain there are doctors in his area but I'm not sure if the exam is affordable for him. I've been searching the forum for similar situations but to no avail. Do we just have to 'bite the bullet' and cover the cost of their medical exams?

Edited by pinkapple - 31 Aug 2011 at 3:06pm
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:51pm
Read through the instructions in the applicant's guide about who is a qualified applicant.  For spousal sponsorships - only a spouse/common-law or conjugal partner and their qualified dependent children are eligible to be applicants.  Extended family members are not eligible to be sponsored by the applicant's spouse but need to be included in the "Additional Family Info" forms so that later, if desired, the applicant who becomes a PR may be able to sponsor their parents, siblings, etc.  There are restrictions to that, so don't think it's a given, but no -your sister, mum, father, etc., do NOT have to undergo medical examination, criminal clearances or photos.  Only you and any of your dependent children (if applicable) do.

Edited by RobsLuv - 31 Aug 2011 at 8:58pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
pinkapple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 11:50pm
Thank you for clarifying that. I have more reading to do! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic