Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FBI Background Check Processing Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camus444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FBI Background Check Processing Time
    Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 8:36pm
Has anyone had recent luck with a quick turn-a-round time on an FBI background check?

I called the number listed on the website that says they can provide estimated processing times. It said the fingerprints are processed in 24-48 hours and gave a number for the background check times. That recording said something to the affect of "we no longer respond to phone calls, emails, mail..." with no indication of current processing times.

Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 11:52am
It took roughly 8 weeks to get mine back last May/July. Since that was a year ago I'm not sure what the times are now. 
Spousal Outland (Buffalo)
App Rcvd: 7/19/10
Sponsor Approved: 8/20/10
Buffalo Processing: 9/7/10
Decision Made: 9/28/10
PPR: 9/30/10
COPR and PP in hand 10/12/10
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
Camus444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camus444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 1:15pm
Very confused here.

My understanding from reading the FBI site was that the police certificate contained two parts: 1) Fingerprint Checks (which according to the FBI phone message takes 24-48 hours) and 2) Name Check which can take weeks and there's no way to check on the status.

I called the office that takes care of the fingerprint checks because it has been about 8 weeks and I wanted to make sure that portion was processed and I didn't have bad fingerprints that needed to be redone. The customer service rep explained that my application was still there and pending, that they were a little behind on processing and that there was no name check portion - they simply send me my certificate when they are done with the fingerprint check.

Is the name check something entirely different from what I need to immigrate to Canada?Ermm
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 2:45pm
Hi

Originally posted by Camus444 Camus444 wrote:

Very confused here. My understanding from reading the FBI site was that the police certificate contained two parts: 1) Fingerprint Checks (which according to the FBI phone message takes 24-48 hours) and 2) Name Check which can take weeks and there's no way to check on the status. I called the office that takes care of the fingerprint checks because it has been about 8 weeks and I wanted to make sure that portion was processed and I didn't have bad fingerprints that needed to be redone. The customer service rep explained that my application was still there and pending, that they were a little behind on processing and that there was no name check portion - they simply send me my certificate when they are done with the fingerprint check. Is the name check something entirely different from what I need to immigrate to Canada?Ermm

The fingerprint check is what is done for your Canadian Immigration check by the FBI. That is usually 6-8 weeks. A name check FBI is not acceptable.
PMM
Camus444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camus444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 3:27pm
Thank you very much!
Camus444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camus444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:02pm
Finally got my background check in the mail today *cheer*

10.5 weeks for anyone who is interested. I sent a $30 pre-paid UPS envelope to have it mailed back to me quickly, but they ended up not using it, so might not be worth it to send one along.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic