Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Q re:CIC Correspondence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Q re:CIC Correspondence
    Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:31pm
When applying for the PR Card, does CIC send a letter confirming they have received the application?  If so, how quickly does this get sent -- or do people generally hear nothing until the "Come and pick up your card" letter comes?  Thanks.
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:37pm
Hi

Originally posted by Harmonia Harmonia wrote:

When applying for the PR Card, does CIC send a letter confirming they have received the application?  If so, how quickly does this get sent -- or do people generally hear nothing until the "Come and pick up your card" letter comes?  Thanks.

Nothing until you get the pickup letter.
PMM
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 10:03am
That's what I figured.  Thanks PMM.

At what point does the online status become available (i.e. processing). ?
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 1:26pm
Keep checking the website for processing times. You can always check with the call centre after 2-3 months to see if they opened your application and put it into the queue for processing.

Or try eCAS with your client ID and see if the PR Card application status appears.

Nothing much other than that though.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:35pm
Thanks canvis.  I figured that there wouldn't be much from CIC once the file made it to their offices. 

Aside from that - when sending the application, if the PR card application hasn't been outside of Canada for greater than 1095 days, do they have to provide proof of being in Canada?  (the CIC site isn't that specific, and doesn't mention that they want boarding passes, passport stamps, etc.).  Should a travel record from CBSA be included?  Is it required? 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm

Ordinarily a PR applying for a new PR card submits just what the instructions say to submit: the completed forms, identity documents as required, photos as specified, and receipt for fees paid. This is subject to certain specified documents for particular individuals, as set out in the document checklist at the end of the application form under "If this applies to you . . . "

Thus, ordinarily a PR applying for a new PR card the applicant does NOT submit additional documentation or information to prove they have been "in Canada" beyond completing the application form.

Thus, for example, ordinarily, NO, a travel record from CBSA is not required to be submitted with the application, and no, ordinarily one should not be included.

That said:

The long answer, which is more or less about some issue lurking regarding compliance with the RO:

Ordinarily a PR applying for a new PR card submits just what the instructions say to submit: the completed forms, identity documents as required, photos as specified, and receipt for fees paid. This is subject to certain specified documents for particular individuals, as set out in the document checklist at the end of the application form under "If this applies to you . . . "

Regarding proof of residency (to be submitted with the application): this is primarily for people who were physically outside Canada for more than 1095 days in the immediately preceding five years, and/but who otherwise are entitled to credit for being in-Canada some of the time they were abroad due to one of the applicable exceptions (most common being employed by a Canadian company or accompanying a partner who is a Canadian citizen). The reference in the checklist is to the appendix in the guide and that information, in the guide, is a generic description of the Residency Obligation. Bottom-line here: Except for those entitled to sufficient credit pursuant to the specified exceptions, anyone not in Canada for at least 1095 days in the preceding five years really should NOT apply for a new PR card but rather wait until they are in compliance with the RO before applying.

Anyway, for the ordinary PR applying for a PR card, the application itself along with the documents specified by the checklist should be sufficient. The application includes all the information they need, such as travel history including dates of presence in Canada, residence/address history, activity history, and so on. If this information indicates compliance with the RO, that is sufficient UNLESS for some reason they doubt the veracity or accuracy of that information, in which case they will (it appears based on the reports of others) send the applicant a request for additional documents or information. (This is where I do not fully concur with PMM above: his answer, as in no communication until the "pickup letter" is for an application that is simply granted; there can be a request for additional documents or the application can be referred to the local office for further processing/assessment.) At that stage the applicant would, of course, submit the requested information -- this is usually about submitting additional proof of compliance with the RO. The list of supporting documents in Appendix A of the guide really is not applicable, since those are about showing entitlement to credit for time abroad due to, for example, being abroad with a Canadian citizen sponsor or due to an assignment abroad while working for a Canadian company.

I do not recall for certain, but I vaguely recall that your partner does not fit into the category of an "ordinary" PR applicant for a new PR card. If I recall correctly your situation, or rather your partner's situation, is a little out of the ordinary: your partner became a PR a long time ago and then lived outside Canada for well over five years, in applying for sponsored PR it was discovered that your partner still has PR status so then your partner simply needs to have a PR card issued. Not sure how this fits with the interview for determining PR status July 2010. So maybe I have your situation confused with someone else's.

But, in any event, if there are concerns that some questions are going to arise about actual proof of compliance with the RO, I do not know to what extent this can be resolved upfront by sending in additional information or documentation proving compliance along with the application itself. For someone who has something in their file that alerts CIC of a potential RO issue, maybe it would be better, indeed, to also submit additional proof as if the "proof of residency requirements" section applies, but I would not go overboard in this.

Again, however, the list of supporting documents in Appendix A of the guide is not applicable to this situation, since those are about showing entitlement to credit for time abroad due to, for example, being abroad with a Canadian citizen sponsor or due to an assignment abroad while working for a Canadian company.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 3:15pm
I can be more confusing than helpful sometimes. If the previous post is one of these occasions, sorry.

Bottom-line: if the PR has been physically in Canada for more than 730 days in the five years immediately preceding submitting the application, it is probably best to just fill out the form and submit the required documents (see the checklist) and perhaps no more. I'd suggest to be sure there is a margin, that it has been 20 or 30 days over the 730 threshold.

Do that and worst case scenario is, most likely, a request for additional documents which might delay the process some but should not delay it for long. Living in Canada with a Canadian partner should go a long way toward making this easier, I believe.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:44am
Thanks so much dpen -- you always have the best responses.
You were not confusing my situation.  My partner became a landed immigration in the 70's.  Stayed here, and then eventually left Canada (for longer than 1095 days).  She returned here over 2 years ago, and we went through the sponsorship process.  It got returned, saying that she was already in the system as having PR status. 

I used to work at CIC, so I pulled a few strings to get a PRD done.  It started well, but because there was no open file (i.e. the sponsorship app had been returned, no open file) the I/O stated that my spouse really needed to apply for a PR card.  (I got more information from the I/O, which I will share once it is fully confirmed - PR card in hand).

Anyhow - here we are, ready to apply.  She has more than 730 days in Canada (800).  She is married to a Canadian citizen, and has a full time job with the government.  Even if this does 'go all wrong' and requires an appeal on H&C grounds, we're pretty confident it will go through.  

Because it's not the 'normal PR application', I was wondering if we should be sending in supporting documentation (i.e. she spent 20 days out of the country with me on pleasure travel -- 'accompanying Canadian spouse').  Should we bother including proof of marriage, as well as proof that we both went to the same places outside of Canada -- or not waste our time because even with the 20 days missing, she still has 780 days in Canada?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 3:21pm
I really believe this is going to go well. No reason to think otherwise. It sounds like her situation will be apparent in her immigration history. Cannot see how or why this could go all wrong.

Surprised she has the original documents . . . or did she obtain more recent copies of those? But, in any event, if she has the called-for documents (landing papers), all should go well.

Keep us posted though, please.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic