Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US citizen marrying Canadian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taydees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US citizen marrying Canadian
    Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm
Hi everyone, I'm getting married next Saturday and I think I'm more nervous about immigration than the wedding! My fiance' is Canadian and I'm looking to move over there (She lives in Windsor and I stay in Detroit currently). I've read if I apply in Buffalo, the process is much faster. My question is where do I start? Do we download the forms from the Canadian or US immigration website? Will I still be able to cross the border while the application is being processed (I am a Nexus member if that helps)? Just looking for advice to stop my head from spinning. Thanks in advance!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:18pm
Relax. If the two of you have spent a lot of physical time together the process should be relatively painless. It is work, takes time, but if you are diligent and patient, it should go quite well.

I am surprised, though, that you are a nexus member but are not familiar with the official online information. Oh well, does not matter.

Virtually everything you need to know is found at this page (this is a link) and the links to the specific guides, forms, and additiona information you will find at that page.

The entire application first gets sent to Mississauga, that is CPC-M, send it by courier so you get confirmation of delivery. It will then go to Buffalo.

Take your time becoming familiar with the guides and forms. Take your time working your way through them, doing rough drafts.

You probably will not run into problems crossing the border after you are married, given that you have a record of coming and going rather than staying in Canada, and given your Nexus membership. If you are, for whatever reason, called into secondary on some occasion, be honest and be upfront, and emphasize you are just visiting and do not intend to stay in Canada unless and until you do have PR status.

You cannot "move" to Canada until you do have status to live (rather than just visit) in Canada.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:29pm
Check out the information on the US2Canada website.  Then come back here if you have more questions.
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic