Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marital status/Sponsoring spouse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marital status/Sponsoring spouse
    Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 6:54pm

Hi!

In between my COPR (Aug 2008) and landing (Jan 2009) I got married. My status was single till I got COPR and haven’t notified the authorities about change in my marital status.

I will soon be applying to sponsor my wife. Is there going to be any trouble since I haven’t notified the authorities? What steps should I take now to make her application process as smooth as possible?

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you, 

jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 7:17pm
You were supposed to have informed them of your marital status change at your landing. How long have you been with your wife before you got married? Did you live together?
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 7:26pm
Unfortunately I don't think it matters how long you were with your wife before you got married. Not declaring your wife before/when you landed technically means that she will never be eligible to be sponsored by you. What's more, I believe this means you misrepresented yourself which could put your own PR status in jeopardy. This is definitely a question for one of the more experienced members of this forum. Hopefully they can provide you with guidance.
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 7:46pm
Ditto on both of the above replies
When you landed - they asked you if there was any change in your marital status & if not - you signed your papers that you were single

This means that you cannot ever sponsor your wife to Canada & that she will have to qualify on her own
Even then, it could put your PR at risk for misrepresentation
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 7:53pm
Scylla, that's what I was getting at. OP you can not sponsor your wife now. Even though you got COPR before you got married, your marital status change is something you should have informed CIC of right away.
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
Bela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 8:00pm
Out of ignorance, I thought that the process ends after COPR is received. 

I may have updated the authorities at the time of landing but do not remember the fact for sure. 

I did not realize the importance until now. Is there a way to find out what is on file? 

I truly appreciate your responses. 

Thank you.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 11:49pm
Hi

Originally posted by Bela Bela wrote:

Out of ignorance, I thought that the process ends after COPR is received. 
I may have updated the authorities at the time of landing but do not remember the fact for sure. 
I did not realize the importance until now. Is there a way to find out what is on file? 
I truly appreciate your responses. 
Thank you.

You would have known if you updated CIC/CHC as you would have had to amend your application, you wife would have to complete her application and have a medical exam.
PMM
Bela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 2:31pm

I got my COPR in August, got married in December and did my landing in January. I could have landed before December but it did not occur to me. Do I have a case presenting it as an honest mistake and not misrepresentation? My wife did not accompany me during landing, raising no question about the change. I signed the paperwork as single without reading (Huge mistake).  

Information from cic,gc,ca clearly states to notify changes in marital status during application but wouldn’t you think that the application is over when you receive COPR, after all your passport is stamped and the paperwork is finished.  

My chances are probably slim but please advice if there is any hope left.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you, 

scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 2:50pm
I think raising this as an honest mistake would be risky and increase your chances of being accused of misrepresentation.

Any chance your wife might qualify independently (i.e. as a skilled worker)?
Bela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 3:01pm

She can apply independently but isn’t that going to raise a question why she couldn’t be sponsored as a spouse and open the same can of worms.

Thinking long term, even if she gets her PR independently, will that jeopardize our citizen application later?  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic