Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asylum in US-->Bringing her to Canada--No passport
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asylum in US-->Bringing her to Canada--No passport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asylum in US-->Bringing her to Canada--No passport
    Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 9:01am
My fiance has an approved asylum status in the US and she will have her greencard in Nov of this yea. I am planning to sponsor her to join me here in Canada. The issue is she currently doesn't have her passport (and can't apply for one until she becomes a US citizen or leave). Can I sponsor someone without a passport from her own country? 
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 11:15am
Is there no way for her to go to her country's embassy in the States and get a replacement passport?
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:58pm
I believe (as in I am not sure) a person may but the process is more complicated and subject to greater scrutiny.

I strongly suggest seeing a qualified immigration lawyer, NOT a consultant, at least for a consultation.

Of course this is not a common circumstance (though it does occur more than occasionally . . . one often sees references to cases involving people who do not have and cannot obtain a passport from the country of their nationality) and there will be far closer scrutiny of the application, especially as to identity and background.

As Harmonia suggests, though, much better to first ascertain for certain whether or not a passport can be obtained.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Roca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:18am
Thank you for your advices. Since the passport might be an issue, I think I will wait until she get her greencard in the US, because she should be able travel to here after that without out issue (Is that correct?).
According to some sources, the reason an asylee can't renew NP is that it means she doesn't fear to return to original country; and that makes sense to me. However if that person needs to travel to another, of course she needs her passport.

Since she has dual citizen, probably we can use her second passport, just another idea....

Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 11:31am
To travel between the US and Canada by land or water you need one of the following: passport, nexus card, FAST card, or an enhanced driver's license (which you can get in certain states when you get your driver's license, you will have to check the state and its requirements most of them require birth certificate. Some of them like in WA you have to be a US Citizen)
By air you need a passport or nexus card. 

Spousal Outland (Buffalo)
App Rcvd: 7/19/10
Sponsor Approved: 8/20/10
Buffalo Processing: 9/7/10
Decision Made: 9/28/10
PPR: 9/30/10
COPR and PP in hand 10/12/10
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:00pm
If she has a valid passport I do not understand what the issue is. I believe that should be sufficient for making a sponsored PR application and it is definitely sufficient for purposes of international travel (recognizing the limitations that may apply to persons of that nationality).

I do not see how a U.S. green card figures into the calculation about submitting a sponsored PR application. If the passport a Foreign National carries is not from a visa-exempt country, the GC will allow the person to travel to Canada as a visa-exempt person (from U.S.) but it has no bearing on the PR application that I know of.

Not sure how a person with dual citizenship obtains assylum/refugee status; this confuses me, more than a little actually.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:03pm
Hi

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

If she has a valid passport I do not understand what the issue is. I believe that should be sufficient for making a sponsored PR application and it is definitely sufficient for purposes of international travel (recognizing the limitations that may apply to persons of that nationality).

I do not see how a U.S. green card figures into the calculation about submitting a sponsored PR application. If the passport a Foreign National carries is not from a visa-exempt country, the GC will allow the person to travel to Canada as a visa-exempt person (from U.S.) but it has no bearing on the PR application that I know of.

Not sure how a person with dual citizenship obtains assylum/refugee status; this confuses me, more than a little actually.

The OP stated that she doesn't have a passport.
PMM
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by pmm pmm wrote:

Hi

The OP stated that she doesn't have a passport.

I think depenabill is confused by the OP's latest post of:

Originally posted by Roca Roca wrote:

Thank you for your advices. Since the passport might be an issue, I think I will wait until she get her greencard in the US, because she should be able travel to here after that without out issue (Is that correct?). 
According to some sources, the reason an asylee can't renew NP is that it means she doesn't fear to return to original country; and that makes sense to me. However if that person needs to travel to another, of course she needs her passport.

Since she has dual citizen, probably we can use her second passport, just another idea....

That is confusing me as well.
Spousal Outland (Buffalo)
App Rcvd: 7/19/10
Sponsor Approved: 8/20/10
Buffalo Processing: 9/7/10
Decision Made: 9/28/10
PPR: 9/30/10
COPR and PP in hand 10/12/10
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
Roca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:19pm
Great observation everybody! Sorry for the confusion about the dual citizenship idea. She is originally from X country, I am from Y country and we all need to be here in Canada. What I meant was that since I can sponsor her to become citizen of a my country, probably that could be another solution for her to have a passport. Nuff about that...

Until now, I had not realized how complicated the whole thing might be. But as dpenabill said, I might need some help in this one. Basically when one apply for Asylum, you surrender the passport if you any. According US Immigration, we can request those original documents back by filing a form (I believe it's G-883). Even when we get them back, the passport would be expired and she won't be travel using it.

"To travel between the US and Canada by land or water you need one of the following: passport, nexus card, FAST card, or an enhanced driver's license.............. By air you need a passport or nexus card. "

I agree with the above suggestion and she can get the Nexus card (She will get the greencard after November also).

I am also thinking about applying for US Travel documents (will cost around $250) and once she gets here in Canada, I will fill for inland sponsorship even though that will take longer period of time. Possible?

KateDaring52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateDaring52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 10:29pm

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic